Using the ED Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

ED?

CLS
8%
NYU
75%
Don't bother
17%

Total votes: 12

lawschoollll

Bronze

Using the ED

Post by lawschoollll » Sat May 08, 2010 1:16 am

For next cycle. I have a 3.5x and a 172. Ideally clerkship to east coast Biglaw out of LS. ED seems like a pretty powerful weapon, but I want to make sure I use it right. Obviously HYS are out, and I don't like U of C. I love NYC, but I'd rather be at Columbia than NYU (lived on the Upper West for a while, know some alumni, like the area, whatever). I also know that I'm a super long-shot at Columbia even with an ED.

So my question is, should I ED to NYU or CLS or not at all? If I'm being honest with myself, it seems like NYU might be my best (only) chance at CCN. Someone on LSN got into CLS ED with a 3.6/172 this year but that seemed like kind of an outlier, and I don't want to waste my ED on a school I don't really have a shot at. I think I'd be comfortable with paying sticker at either, but a little $ at a lower T14, or even lots at a T30, doesn't sound so bad either, and obviously getting in ED wouldn't allow for those options.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Re: Using the ED

Post by lawschoollll » Sat May 08, 2010 6:05 pm

Edited to add a poll.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Sat May 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Looks to me like CLS is a pipe dream. Sorry.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Sat May 08, 2010 6:28 pm

DerrickRose wrote:Looks to me like CLS is a pipe dream. Sorry.
Totally agree. But it is a dream, and my only shot at it is an ED there. So normally I would just say what the hell and go for it, but that would mean I wouldn't get to ED to NYU (which is probably my only shot to get in there as well). Law school predictor has me at 33% for CLS but I think that's pretty damn generous.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Sat May 08, 2010 6:36 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
Totally agree. But it is a dream, and my only shot at it is an ED there. So normally I would just say what the hell and go for it, but that would mean I wouldn't get to ED to NYU (which is probably my only shot to get in there as well). Law school predictor has me at 33% for CLS but I think that's pretty damn generous.
Yeah, and you have to remember that it keeps getting more competitive year-on-year. People with below median GPA's are getting absolutely killed. (Thanking my lucky stars I didn't reapply, PHEW!)

If you're determined for Biglaw, sticker at CCN makes a lot of sense. ED at NYU is obviously your best chance of getting there. That's what I would do.

Don't fret too much about getting shut out of both, there will be money in the T14 for a 172/3.5x and full rides all over the place below that.

I'm gonna throw out a prediction that you end up at Cornell with a boatload of cash.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Sat May 08, 2010 6:41 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
Yeah, and you have to remember that it keeps getting more competitive year-on-year. People with below median GPA's are getting absolutely killed. (Thanking my lucky stars I didn't reapply, PHEW!)

If you're determined for Biglaw, sticker at CCN makes a lot of sense. ED at NYU is obviously your best chance of getting there. That's what I would do.

Don't fret too much about getting shut out of both, there will be money in the T14 for a 172/3.5x and full rides all over the place below that.

I'm gonna throw out a prediction that you end up at Cornell with a boatload of cash.
Yea, the GPA is a killer. I actually applied this cycle and got tiny $ at NU and Cornell but am taking another year to work (applied in late Feb this year). So yea, a boatload of cash anywhere where I'd have a decent chance at Biglaw would work for me.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:23 pm

I think ED at Columbia is a possibly, but ED at NYU is a lot more likely to succeed.

Did you max out your LSAT potential?

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Sat May 08, 2010 7:49 pm

NYU unless you retake 174+.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”