UM v. FIU ??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dandandan

UM v. FIU ??

Postby dandandan » Fri May 07, 2010 9:09 am

Trying to decide between UM or FIU (2.5K a semester scholarship)... Currently waitlisted where I want to go (three T1's), so right now I'm trying to plan the 'worst case' scenario.

It shouldn't be this difficult, but it is, any help from you guys/gals would be appreciated

lawschoolgiant

Re: UM v. FIU ??

Postby lawschoolgiant » Fri May 07, 2010 9:13 am

dandandan wrote:Trying to decide between UM or FIU (2.5K a semester scholarship)... Currently waitlisted where I want to go (three T1's), so right now I'm trying to plan the 'worst case' scenario.

It shouldn't be this difficult, but it is, any help from you guys/gals would be appreciated

I am in the same situation, [strike]except actually accepted to both[/strike]. (RC Fail) I chose FIU. It is a great school, and has respect in Miami....not as much as UM, but if all you want is BigLaw and you know that for sure, choose UM. I just dont know what I want for sure, so am not willing to pay 120k in just tuition to find out.

daviddel03

Postby daviddel03 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:15 am

you got a scholly from FIU? I would def go with FIU if UM gives you no $. It's def not worth the price. FIU is a great school and more and more people down here will be flocking there cause of the cheap tuition, hence the alumni base for the law school will be a lot bigger in a couple of years.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Fri May 07, 2010 9:26 am

daviddel03 wrote:you got a scholly from FIU? I would def go with FIU if UM gives you no $. It's def not worth the price. FIU is a great school and more and more people down here will be flocking there cause of the cheap tuition, hence the alumni base for the law school will be a lot bigger in a couple of years.

besides the cheap tution, even though it is not a top ranked school, they are working really hard on growing the reputation, not the diploma mill category.

dandandan

Postby dandandan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:00 pm

update, ok so I now get 10k... decision is harder than ever now and nothing from waitlisted schools yet

a couple notes: I'd like to work in a big firm doing some kind of litigation (not sure what type though). my biggest concern is networking from both schools and the people who I'll meet in school. also, does anyone know what students make coming out of UM v. FIU? also, I'm not hispanic, not sure if that should be a factor or not.

Thanks.
Last edited by dandandan on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Go to UM. FIU is an awful tier 4 in an ultra saturated legal market. I don't know what the above poster was talking about, but FIU is NOT respected. It has the worst employment rate in the nation. STAY AWAY FROM FIU.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:49 pm

I know you're gonna hate to hear this, but don't go to either. FIU, as others have mentioned, is not respected (generally) and has a minuscule alumni base. Even with the scholarship, I wouldn't take the plunge. Even at the top of the class, it's exceedingly difficult. One FIU poster here at the top of her class has a decent job, but it's nowhere near the type of big firm gig you want.

Miami is a fine school, but not at sticker. FL is one of the most glutted legal markets out there, and competition is fierce. UM doesn't run Miami; it competes heavily with UF. Furthermore, Miami doesn't even make the top 50 for NLJ250 placement (an extremely crude method of biglaw and market-paying hiring), meaning that it places less than 13.2% of graduates into these firms. Your chance of landing in a big firm is about 10%. The big firms in Miami pay about $110,000 to $125,000 for first year associated. Is this enough of a shot to go in for about $180,000 in tuition and cost of living? I think not.

I recommend retaking, reapplying, and trying to get into Miami with money of UF.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”