Vandy vs. Duke vs. NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tinsleystyle

Vandy vs. Duke vs. NYU

Postby tinsleystyle » Fri May 07, 2010 12:37 am

I've been offered full tuition at Vanderbilt, but was also accepted to Duke (who is offering $27K) and NYU (who are, true to spirit, offering FULL LOANS!). I want to work in International Law; NYU is strongest in that and Duke is also listed in the top 10 in USNews rankings, but Vandy's program also seems pretty strong. Of course that's bound to change; I don't want to base my decision on an assumption. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

DerrickRose

Re: Vandy vs. Duke vs. NYU

Postby DerrickRose » Fri May 07, 2010 12:40 am

What do people think international law is?

The only thing I know about international law is that it doesn't exist. (No joke, I took a UG class on international law and the first four words out of the professor's mouth were "international law doesn't exist)

Anyway, to OP, take the full ride at Vandy. Very little debt=WIN.
EDIT: Unless by "international law" you mean you want Biglaw. Which I bet is exactly what you mean. Then NYU.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Fri May 07, 2010 12:45 am

DerrickRose wrote:What do people think international law is?

The only thing I know about international law is that it doesn't exist. (No joke, I took a UG class on international law and the first four words out of the professor's mouth were "international law doesn't exist)

EDIT: Unless by "international law" you mean you want Biglaw. Which I bet is exactly what you mean. Then NYU.

Even if OP means biglaw, I say Vandy. Vandy is the school that gained ground in NLJ250 placements in a recession. I think it's the clear choice.

TUP

Postby TUP » Fri May 07, 2010 1:07 am

DerrickRose wrote:What do people think international law is?

I'm wondering this, too. I'm just a 0L, but I always think international criminal law (ICC, tribunals, etc.). I imagine that's the domain of top students from HYS with only a handful of positions for American grads around the globe. Is there some other aspect of international law everyone wants to practice in?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 07, 2010 1:18 am

Not Duke. VULS for free and NYU sticker are competitive. Vandy has surprisingly strong biglaw placement.

Either take the low debt at Vandy or take the better biglaw chances at NYU.
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

djgoldbe

Postby djgoldbe » Fri May 07, 2010 1:22 am

Well Professor Newton at Vandy seemed on top of his game at ASD in terms of hooking students up with interesting positions in various organizations (UN, State Dept, ICC, DOD, international chamber of commerce, various human rights orgs being some on the list). In terms of what you should pick - I personally would go with the full ride if you really know what 'international law' means in terms of pay at many of these organizations. If you want biglaw, then go for NYU. But I don't see the sense in going for duke. vandy full > duke 27k no matter what your considerations imo.

tinsleystyle

Postby tinsleystyle » Fri May 07, 2010 1:26 am

djgoldbe wrote:Well Professor Newton at Vandy seemed on top of his game at ASD in terms of hooking students up with interesting positions in various organizations (UN, State Dept, ICC, DOD, international chamber of commerce, various human rights orgs being some on the list). In terms of what you should pick - I personally would go with the full ride if you really know what 'international law' means in terms of pay at many of these organizations. If you want biglaw, then go for NYU. But I don't see the sense in going for duke. vandy full > duke 27k no matter what your considerations imo.

Haha I guess that means taking a hard, close look at their LRAP...

tinsleystyle

Postby tinsleystyle » Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

And just curious - why does the statement 'Not Duke' suffice? What's hiding in there?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 07, 2010 1:40 am

tinsleystyle wrote:And just curious - why does the statement 'Not Duke' suffice? What's hiding in there?
NayBoer wrote:Either take the low debt at Vandy or take the better biglaw chances at NYU.
Not much point to taking Duke and splitting the baby. I don't think the scholarship is big enough to justify over Vandy full ride, with its surprisingly good biglaw and clerkship placement. But I could see taking NYU and its stronger historic placement in biglaw, NYC location, etc.

Feynman

Postby Feynman » Fri May 07, 2010 1:42 am

What do people think international law is?

I get so sick of these morons saying they want to work in international law.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 07, 2010 1:57 am

I'd say NYU.
It would be different if you were deciding between full tuition at Vandy and a more expensive lower T14 (Duke) but NYU takes you more places.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”