T2 vs T4 need help choosing

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
icydash

Re: T2 vs T4 need help choosing

Postby icydash » Sun May 09, 2010 12:17 am

bk1 wrote:
bella wrote:For all you retake advocates...what happens if I get a lower score?

I do not know what happens, but from what I have seen from LSN and the like it seems fairly rare that people who retake do worse. The more likely "bad" scenario is doing only a couple points better in which case it likely won't change things that much.

If I had to guess I would say doing worse probably wouldn't hurt you. Because schools only have to report the highest LSAT and assuming they are trying to game the rankings, a lower LSAT won't hurt them in USNWR so they will care much more about your high score. Of course this is just a guess.

A lot of schools now are moving towards taking the higher score only. But in either case, obviously don't retake the LSAT until you have studied and are consistently PTing several points higher than your "target" score....This should pretty much ensure you do better--unless you have a really unusually bad day, in which case you can cancel your score.

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Sun May 09, 2010 1:08 am

What the person above me said. Don't retake if you aren't going to put some time and effort into practicing/studying for it first; that would be a waste of your time. If you do put in the time, and barring unusual situations in which case as mentioned above, nobody has to see it, there's really very little chance that you would do worse. Even if you did, most schools don't care.

OP, I don't remember if you told us when in the cycle you applied, but applying early really does make a difference. So if you applied in Dec/Jan this time, you could expect better offers next time just by applying in Sept/Oct/whenever applications are available.

Also, how much have you thought about the schools you applied to? You got scholarships at both the places you told us about, which means even with your current score you could get into even better schools. Applying very early and improving your LSAT means you can do even better. Don't limit yourself by looking at 25-75% GPAs and thinking "Oh, I have a 3.0, nobody in the T1 will take me." Obviously, 25% of people enrolling in those schools each year have GPAs below that mark, and with tons of work experience and a good LSAT, you'd be a prime candidate for one of those spots. I've heard some T14s will take people with GPAs below 3.0 sometimes, so seriously, if you can get a nice LSAT, don't limit yourself.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sun May 09, 2010 10:36 am

fwaam wrote:What the person above me said. Don't retake if you aren't going to put some time and effort into practicing/studying for it first; that would be a waste of your time. If you do put in the time, and barring unusual situations in which case as mentioned above, nobody has to see it, there's really very little chance that you would do worse. Even if you did, most schools don't care.

OP, I don't remember if you told us when in the cycle you applied, but applying early really does make a difference. So if you applied in Dec/Jan this time, you could expect better offers next time just by applying in Sept/Oct/whenever applications are available.

Also, how much have you thought about the schools you applied to? You got scholarships at both the places you told us about, which means even with your current score you could get into even better schools. Applying very early and improving your LSAT means you can do even better. Don't limit yourself by looking at 25-75% GPAs and thinking "Oh, I have a 3.0, nobody in the T1 will take me." Obviously, 25% of people enrolling in those schools each year have GPAs below that mark, and with tons of work experience and a good LSAT, you'd be a prime candidate for one of those spots. I've heard some T14s will take people with GPAs below 3.0 sometimes, so seriously, if you can get a nice LSAT, don't limit yourself.

Yeah definitely apply early. And like the poster above touched upon, your UGPA becomes less and less important as you get farther and farther away from your college years....so you may be ok with that 3.0 GPA

Return to “Choosing a Law School”