T2 vs T4 need help choosing

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
icydash

Re: T2 vs T4 need help choosing

Postby icydash » Sat May 08, 2010 3:32 pm

Matthies wrote:
Danteshek wrote:In this thread: [strike]children giving advice to adult[/strike] OLs who have never had a legal job, applied for a legal job, known anyone with a legal job, the closest they have come to a real lawyer or judge is watching Law and order reruns become legal employment experts and predict the future for people they have never met at schools they have never researched.

Just go to Gonzaga.

fixed and agree.

And as an aside, you'd be surprised, Matthies, how many people here research the schools in question before we give an answer to a TLS post, are not 0Ls, have in fact applied for a legal job/know the legal markets well, and know a lot of practicing attorneys and judges. Furthermore, it's the "people we have never met" asking for our advice and asking us to predict the future for them.
Last edited by icydash on Sat May 08, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 08, 2010 3:37 pm

A'nold wrote:Yikes. While I usually agree with matthies and dante, gotta say that the others' advice was not far off, at least not concerning these two schools and the debt. I am a non trad with a family and very familiar with this part of the country NW. I know a lady (40+) that went to Gonzaga Law and is working at a school as an office aid. I know this is anecdotal but it seems that older applicants have an especially hard time at lower ranked schools, especially where they are taking out massive amounts of debt.

My experience has been the complete opposite of this. Since I went part-time the average age in my class was about 38-40, with about 25% of the class being typical straight from undergrad. ALL of the older students that I am friends with well enough to know personally what they are up to are employed as lawyers, I only know one person under 30 from my class who can say the same, and my best freind, god bless his soul is 28 and can't find a job to save his life (I won't get into that other than to say I can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink). I must say, I think this has ZERO to do with age, and everything to do with experience and knowing how to find a job. The older students where just better at making stuff happen for themselves while the younger ones, as a generalization, waited for something to happen for them. Not to say i think some of the older ones suffered from this as well, but if you know my view on that subject you can probably guess that I'm not really friends with them.

As to debt and being old. Hell I own several houses, a couple cars, five computers, 2 big screen TVs, no kids, smoke too much, drink too much, did too many drugs when i was younger I'm not going to make it long enough to pay off my loans and what they hell do I need good credit for anymore? :)

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 08, 2010 3:39 pm

icydash wrote:
Matthies wrote:
Danteshek wrote:In this thread: [strike]children giving advice to adult[/strike] OLs who have never had a legal job, applied for a legal job, known anyone with a legal job, the closest they have come to a real lawyer or judge is watching Law and order reruns become legal employment experts and predict the future for people they have never met at schools they have never researched.

Just go to Gonzaga.

fixed and agree.

And as an aside, you'd be surprised, Matthies, how many people here research the schools in question before we give an answer to a TLS post, are not 0Ls, have in fact applied for a legal job/know the legal markets well, and know a lot of practicing attorneys and judges. Furthermore, it's the "people we have never met" asking for our advice and asking us to predict the future for them.

And yet they can still not know what the hell they are talking about. See generally some of the folks I went to school with

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat May 08, 2010 3:43 pm

The subprime analogy doesn't really work. Nobody can ever take away your education. And there are intangible benefits to being more educated. Investment in education cannot be purely measured in dollars and cents. I freely admit that my life may be negative NPV when it is all over, because of the massive investment myself and my parents made in my education over the years (private schools, sports, living overseas, training in languages and music, traveling etc....). Was it worth it? Yes.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat May 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Matthies wrote:
icydash wrote:
Matthies wrote:

Just go to Gonzaga.

fixed and agree.

And yet they can still not know what the hell they are talking about. See generally some of the folks I went to school with

What portion of anything anyone has said do you disagree with / do you think we are wrong about? I'd love to debate the facts with you....most people have just advised retaking the LSAT....you disagree with this?

Just as another side note, all the "evidence" you gave was anecdotal to "you and your friends" doing well. All the real statistics taken over a large grouping of schools (not just one school) point in the exact opposite direction when it comes to T3/T4 schools and finding jobs. Also, when did you graduate?

Finally, what you talked about above --- older students ability to get jobs --- ...nobody is debating this. I'm sure older students are more capable at finding jobs... but that still doesn't change the fact that coming from a T3/T4 school with massive debt and a shitty economy, even as an older student, your chances are slim to none...and coming from a T1 school (which the OP is more than capable of getting into if she puts in the time) opens many more doors / options.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 08, 2010 4:14 pm

icydash wrote:
Just as another side note, all the "evidence" you gave was anecdotal to "you and your friends" doing well. All the real statistics taken over a large grouping of schools (not just one school) point in the exact opposite direction when it comes to T3/T4 schools and finding jobs. Also, when did you graduate?

Finally, what you talked about above --- older students ability to get jobs --- ...nobody is debating this. I'm sure older students are more capable at finding jobs... but that still doesn't change the fact that coming from a T3/T4 school with massive debt and a shitty economy, even as an older student, your chances are slim to none...and coming from a T1 school (which the OP is more than capable of getting into if she puts in the time) opens many more doors / options.

EXACTLY I don't talk out of my ass about generalizations made from statistics about people I don't know (don't know thier work ethic, thier connections, thier ablities, thier willingsness to give up). I also don't tell people they have zero % chance of finding a job. Why? because I've learned that the only thing I am 100% sure about is the stuff I have actually personal done or seen done myself. I'm not a fortune teller, nor am I so sure of myself that I will tell others what will happen to them with the certainty that has been thrown around in this thread. Instead I use MYSELF and MY EXPERIENCES as examples, and let people decide for themselves. I do have strong opinions on things, and those opinions have been formed from my personal experience, but track my posts I have never told someone (in a serious post) that this is their future because I know it better than they do.

Me = always talk about shit I have personally done, seen or been through, using examples from people I know, those are my ONLY credentials and the only way I will give advice.
Internet experts = talk about shit they have not personal done, experienced or been through but with certainty that it will be the result for someone else they don't know. BIG LS message board pet peeve of mine.
Give your opinion if you want, but categorically saying something will or will not happen to someone other than yourself that you have not personally done or experienced is BS and does nothing more than encourage group think (that i think is personally damaging for future law students).

I graduated in may 2009 with a JD and MLS/LLM, went part-time to law school for five years and clerked for firms, judges and did my own contract legal work during the day since 2005. Been an active member (as a student) of the local bar associations since 2004, a member of the Inn of the Court since 2005 and know more lawyers and judges with 10+ years experience than I know who aren't. Hence, again, I use my personal experience when I make suggestions and don't predict others future, because those who have predicted mine where all wrong.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat May 08, 2010 4:34 pm

Matthies wrote:EXACTLY I don't talk out of my ass about generalizations made from statistics about people I don't know (don't know thier work ethic, thier connections, thier ablities, thier willingsness to give up). I also don't tell people they have zero % chance of finding a job. Why? because I've learned that the only thing I am 100% sure about is the stuff I have actually personal done or seen done myself. I'm not a fortune teller, nor am I so sure of myself that I will tell others what will happen to them with the certainty that has been thrown around in this thread. Instead I use MYSELF and MY EXPERIENCES as examples, and let people decide for themselves. I do have strong opinions on things, and those opinions have been formed from my personal experience, but track my posts I have never told someone (in a serious post) that this is their future because I know it better than they do.

Me = always talk about shit I have personally done, seen or been through, using examples from people I know, those are my ONLY credentials and the only way I will give advice.
Internet experts = talk about shit they have not personal done, experienced or been through but with certainty that it will be the result for someone else they don't know. BIG LS message board pet peeve of mine.
Give your opinion if you want, but categorically saying something will or will not happen to someone other than yourself that you have not personally done or experienced is BS and does nothing more than encourage group think (that i think is personally damaging for future law students).

I graduated in may 2009 with a JD and MLS/LLM, went part-time to law school for five years and clerked for firms, judges and did my own contract legal work during the day since 2005. Been an active member (as a student) of the local bar associations since 2004, a member of the Inn of the Court since 2005 and know more lawyers and judges with 10+ years experience than I know who aren't. Hence, again, I use my personal experience when I make suggestions and don't predict others future, because those who have predicted mine where all wrong.

First of all, nobody is saying anything with 100% certainty. That's what "slim to none" means. It means you have slim to no chance, aka not 100%. No one on here has said unequivocally with 100% certainty that the OP will fail coming from these schools; the OP just has a MUCH higher likelihood of it. And as he/she already stated, since the legal market isn't exactly booming with jobs for 40+ year olds, why put yourself in an even worse position by going to a crap law school? That makes no sense.

Second of all, you do realize you're doing the same thing as us, except in a more dangerous way? You're giving advice (to someone you know nothing about, just like us) based on your personal experiences, without qualifying your work experience, your willingness to give up, your age, what you've been through, your personal connections, other factors in your life which may give you a greater chance of success, etc. You just spurt out advice; just like us. However, your advice is FAR more dangerous than using statistical evidence because the statistics cover way more demographics, one of which the OP is more likely to fall into than your own tiny, little special demographic carved out by your personal experiences. Our evidence has a much higher likelihood of being accurate for the OP in almost all situations (except for anything but the most similar of situations to your own), period. This is why anecdotal evidence is bullshit, and highly regarded as not real evidence at all.

PS. I thought part-time law school was only four years? You went for five?
Last edited by icydash on Sat May 08, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 08, 2010 4:42 pm

icydash wrote:First of all, nobody is saying anything with 100% certainty. That's what "slim to none" means. It means you have slim to no chance, aka not 100%. No one on here has said unequivocally with 100% certainty that the OP will fail coming from these schools; .

Actually YOU DID until you went back and edited your post

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat May 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Matthies wrote:
icydash wrote:First of all, nobody is saying anything with 100% certainty. That's what "slim to none" means. It means you have slim to no chance, aka not 100%. No one on here has said unequivocally with 100% certainty that the OP will fail coming from these schools; .

Actually YOU DID until you went back and edited your post

*smacks self in face*

First of all, if I'd edited my post, it would say it at the bottom; this is how everyone knows your full of shit. Second of all, YOU QUOTED MY POST SAYING "slim to none" AND EVEN UNDERLINED IT. Do you think I hacked your account, and edited your quoted post, too?

Gosh. I don't have enough faces or enough palms to continue this conversation.
Last edited by icydash on Sat May 08, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 08, 2010 4:44 pm

icydash wrote: This is why anecdotal evidence is bullshit, and highly regarded as not real evidence at all.

Sigh, in law school you'll learn THAT IS ALL EVDINCE IS. Second, JD + MLS/LLM can't be done in 4 years.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 08, 2010 4:45 pm

icydash wrote:I really understand not wanting to retake the LSAT.... It's a horrible, horrible test. I also understand wanting to rush into law school and not properly doing enough research (I did this my first admissions cycle and almost made a really horrible mistake.) However, given the small scholarships you have at both the aforementioned schools, I really can't in good conscience tell you to go to either one. You're going to come out of LS with a massive amount of debt from both schools, and literally no job prospects (especially not from the T4 / not-yet-accredited school). Like I'm not kidding: You [u]will not get a job where you can pay off the debt you'll have. Period.[/u]
Sorry, but people here are going to have to knock you over the head with the truth, even if you really, REALLY don't want to hear it: retake the LSAT. You'd be amazed at the difference in your options/life 5 LSAT points can make.

EDIT: And Gonzaga is ranked 100, so for all intensive purposes, it's really a T3.

See this post, see edits

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat May 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Matthies wrote:
icydash wrote: This is why anecdotal evidence is bullshit, and highly regarded as not real evidence at all.

Sigh, in law school you'll learn THAT IS ALL EVDINCE IS. Second, JD + MLS/LLM can't be done in 4 years.

Uhm...this is just wrong...except for the JD/MLS/LLM thing; that may be true. I skimmed your post and didn't see that.
Last edited by icydash on Sat May 08, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat May 08, 2010 4:47 pm

Matthies wrote:
icydash wrote:I really understand not wanting to retake the LSAT.... It's a horrible, horrible test. I also understand wanting to rush into law school and not properly doing enough research (I did this my first admissions cycle and almost made a really horrible mistake.) However, given the small scholarships you have at both the aforementioned schools, I really can't in good conscience tell you to go to either one. You're going to come out of LS with a massive amount of debt from both schools, and literally no job prospects (especially not from the T4 / not-yet-accredited school). Like I'm not kidding: You [u]will not get a job where you can pay off the debt you'll have. Period.[/u]
Sorry, but people here are going to have to knock you over the head with the truth, even if you really, REALLY don't want to hear it: retake the LSAT. You'd be amazed at the difference in your options/life 5 LSAT points can make.

EDIT: And Gonzaga is ranked 100, so for all intensive purposes, it's really a T3.

See this post, see edits

Oh, well that post you are correct about. And since it still says -you will not- I obviously didn't edit it to change it....and given the schools we're talking about, I'm not sure that I don't still stand by it.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 08, 2010 4:52 pm

icydash wrote:
Matthies wrote:

Uhm...this is just wrong...except for the JD/MLS/LLM thing, that may be true. I skimmed your post and didn't see that.

Good luck kid, hoepfully you will relize before you finish law school, nirther you nor I know everything, nor do we stop learning just becuase we are done with school.

icydash

Postby icydash » Sat May 08, 2010 4:54 pm

Matthies wrote:
icydash wrote:
Matthies wrote:

Uhm...this is just wrong...except for the JD/MLS/LLM thing, that may be true. I skimmed your post and didn't see that.

Good luck kid, hoepfully you will relize before you finish law school, nirther you nor I know everything, nor do we stop learning just becuase we are done with school.

Right...so I hope you learned something here today.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat May 08, 2010 5:07 pm

smartin

Postby smartin » Sat May 08, 2010 5:34 pm

bella wrote:
smartin wrote:OP, what's your aversion to retaking the LSAT?

I don't know where you all are in your lives but I'm actually working on a second career. I've been a teacher for 9 year. I've always loved law and now with the economy being what it is and school lay offs being what they are, its an opportunity for me to go to law school. Most people in my position just take a random online course. If I were to wait one more year to go to law school it would end up being a moot point...how big is the market for 40 year old new lawyers. And retaking isn't gonna change the fact that I have a 3.0 gpa from a cal state. I'm satisfied with a 160. T3 and T4 is the best I'm gonna do and I'm fine with that. My sister was the better student went to Berkeley and to BU, more power to her, Its not gonna happen for me in that way. So if your advise is that I should give up studying something I love because I can't get into a top school then thanks but no thanks.

Of all the reasons not to take a another year and reapply, this is a good one -- if you were 22 and not mid-30s, it would be different As others have said, if you did retake, schools look more favorably on a high-LSAT over a high-GPA (especially several years out of undergrad with plenty of work experience. But I understand where you are coming from, you want to be a lawyer and the first step of that process is to go to law school. Good luck with your decision.

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Sat May 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Wait... but the OP has a paying job.... that seems like a case where you do want to wait a year and retake. Sure, you're getting older, but if you have steady employment, you're not losing as much as someone who has no job and nothing to do for a year while reapplying. It's not like one more year is going to make a difference in whether or not employers think you're "too old." In fact, having worked for awhile, from what I've heard schools are more likely to overlook the mediocre GPA if a great LSAT accompanies it.

That said--again--Gonzaga is the better choice. And I think the OP said there's a $7000/year scholarship, not quite as bad as paying sticker price.

bella

Postby bella » Sat May 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Matthies wrote:
A'nold wrote:Yikes. While I usually agree with matthies and dante, gotta say that the others' advice was not far off, at least not concerning these two schools and the debt. I am a non trad with a family and very familiar with this part of the country NW. I know a lady (40+) that went to Gonzaga Law and is working at a school as an office aid. I know this is anecdotal but it seems that older applicants have an especially hard time at lower ranked schools, especially where they are taking out massive amounts of debt.

My experience has been the complete opposite of this. Since I went part-time the average age in my class was about 38-40, with about 25% of the class being typical straight from undergrad. ALL of the older students that I am friends with well enough to know personally what they are up to are employed as lawyers, I only know one person under 30 from my class who can say the same, and my best freind, god bless his soul is 28 and can't find a job to save his life (I won't get into that other than to say I can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink). I must say, I think this has ZERO to do with age, and everything to do with experience and knowing how to find a job. The older students where just better at making stuff happen for themselves while the younger ones, as a generalization, waited for something to happen for them. Not to say i think some of the older ones suffered from this as well, but if you know my view on that subject you can probably guess that I'm not really friends with them.

As to debt and being old. Hell I own several houses, a couple cars, five computers, 2 big screen TVs, no kids, smoke too much, drink too much, did too many drugs when i was younger I'm not going to make it long enough to pay off my loans and what they hell do I need good credit for anymore? :)

My favorite comment thus far...lets see the school collect the debt when I'm gone :P

bella

Postby bella » Sat May 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:The subprime analogy doesn't really work. Nobody can ever take away your education. And there are intangible benefits to being more educated. Investment in education cannot be purely measured in dollars and cents. I freely admit that my life may be negative NPV when it is all over, because of the massive investment myself and my parents made in my education over the years (private schools, sports, living overseas, training in languages and music, traveling etc....). Was it worth it? Yes.

excellent point...especially being that I'm a teacher...Everyone seems to be so fixated on money. For all anyone on this site know...I might be independently wealthy.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat May 08, 2010 9:33 pm

bella wrote:
Danteshek wrote:The subprime analogy doesn't really work. Nobody can ever take away your education. And there are intangible benefits to being more educated. Investment in education cannot be purely measured in dollars and cents. I freely admit that my life may be negative NPV when it is all over, because of the massive investment myself and my parents made in my education over the years (private schools, sports, living overseas, training in languages and music, traveling etc....). Was it worth it? Yes.

excellent point...especially being that I'm a teacher...Everyone seems to be so fixated on money. For all anyone on this site know...I might be independently wealthy.

You can't just ignore advice b/c it is not what you want to hear and blindly follow the opinions that you like. I am a non-trad w/ a family that is VERY familiar with the area you are looking and I agree with most of the people on this thread. Matthies is a networking optimist and OCI pessimist. Do you have it in you to pound the pavement from day one and put yourself out there even after rejection after rejection come your way? Are you prepared to make the same wage you make now but with 150k more in debt? What are your plans? What do you want to do with this degree?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat May 08, 2010 9:40 pm

I find your advice rather ironic considering where you are, A'nold.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:54 pm

smartin wrote:
bella wrote:
smartin wrote:OP, what's your aversion to retaking the LSAT?

I don't know where you all are in your lives but I'm actually working on a second career. I've been a teacher for 9 year. I've always loved law and now with the economy being what it is and school lay offs being what they are, its an opportunity for me to go to law school. Most people in my position just take a random online course. If I were to wait one more year to go to law school it would end up being a moot point...how big is the market for 40 year old new lawyers. And retaking isn't gonna change the fact that I have a 3.0 gpa from a cal state. I'm satisfied with a 160. T3 and T4 is the best I'm gonna do and I'm fine with that. My sister was the better student went to Berkeley and to BU, more power to her, Its not gonna happen for me in that way. So if your advise is that I should give up studying something I love because I can't get into a top school then thanks but no thanks.

Of all the reasons not to take a another year and reapply, this is a good one -- if you were 22 and not mid-30s, it would be different As others have said, if you did retake, schools look more favorably on a high-LSAT over a high-GPA (especially several years out of undergrad with plenty of work experience. But I understand where you are coming from, you want to be a lawyer and the first step of that process is to go to law school. Good luck with your decision.

If you really want to go to law school, then I would say you should go. But, if you could get a significantly better LSAT score then I think it would open up your options. Since you are dead-set on going to law school, go. But I do not think the difference for you will be that large whether you graduate from LS in 2013 or 2014, 1 year just does not seem that large. So, if you could get a high LSAT, you should give that a try. If you can't then yes, go ahead and pursue you dreams and I wish you the best of luck. But if you could get a higher LSAT I think the difference in school quality is worth the year wait.

bella

Postby bella » Sun May 09, 2010 12:07 am

For all you retake advocates...what happens if I get a lower score?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:10 am

bella wrote:For all you retake advocates...what happens if I get a lower score?

I do not know what happens, but from what I have seen from LSN and the like it seems fairly rare that people who retake do worse. The more likely "bad" scenario is doing only a couple points better in which case it likely won't change things that much.

If I had to guess I would say doing worse probably wouldn't hurt you. Because schools only have to report the highest LSAT and assuming they are trying to game the rankings, a lower LSAT won't hurt them in USNWR so they will care much more about your high score. Of course this is just a guess.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”