Need Help on Deciding what Law School to Attend Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dsc5050

New

Need Help on Deciding what Law School to Attend

Post by dsc5050 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:50 pm

OK. So currently I am still waiting to hear from: U Buffalo, Rutgers Newark, Seton Hall, Brooklyn and St. Johns Law School...

My major : Mechanical Engineering
MY GPA : 3.71
my LSAT : 154

Currently Accepted to:
Pierce Law + 5K scholarship
Hofstra Law
New York Law School + 15K scholarship
Albany Law

The question is which school should I go to? I know Hofstra is ranked better however, how much does that effect job prospect?
Furthermore I am planning on going into patent law. Hofstra has only 4 classes for patent law, while NYLS has about 10 and Pierce law about 30
It seems to me NYLS is the best bet if I do not get into any of the schools I am waiting to hear from. Depending on my grades I will consider transfering after the first year.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Need Help on Deciding what Law School to Attend

Post by bk1 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:51 pm

If you want to transfer, is it possible to instead wait a year, retake the LSAT, and reapply?

dsc5050

New

Post by dsc5050 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 pm

bk187 wrote:If you want to transfer, is it possible to instead wait a year, retake the LSAT, and reapply?
Haha you are not the first person to tell me that. I have settled on just going to whatever law school I get accepted to with that LSAT. I should have wrote a addendum because my father was going through heart surgery during that time period but I read a book which said everyone has a excuse and not to write one. I feel whatever school I go to I will excel, but if for some reason I do not and can not transfer I am wondering what school people think would be the best for a prospective patent attorney?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:58 pm

dsc5050 wrote:
bk187 wrote:If you want to transfer, is it possible to instead wait a year, retake the LSAT, and reapply?
Haha you are not the first person to tell me that. I have settled on just going to whatever law school I get accepted to with that LSAT. I should have wrote a addendum because my father was going through heart surgery during that time period but I read a book which said everyone has a excuse and not to write one. I feel whatever school I go to I will excel, but if for some reason I do not and can not transfer I am wondering what school people think would be the best for a prospective patent attorney?
Don't be an idiot, retake. 3.71 in ME means you aren't that stupid if you went to a halfway decent college.
Last edited by 09042014 on Thu May 06, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu May 06, 2010 5:59 pm

IP guys do really well at Franklin Pierce.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:59 pm

I get the feeling that if you don't do exceptionally well it will be hard to find employment out of those schools. This may differ for patent attorneys but I am not sure.

Why are you settled on just having that LSAT? If it was at a difficult time you can definitely do better in another go around and probably increase your chances dramatically. I would say not to settle when you have a 3.7 GPA.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:02 pm

I would say retake but if not go to Pierce since you want to do IP. They will offer you better opportunities than other schools with similar ranking. None of the others would be worth it honestly.

splitterhopeful

New

Post by splitterhopeful » Fri May 07, 2010 11:18 am

Wow people are lazy. If only I had that GPA...and you're wasting it with a poor LSAT.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Fri May 07, 2010 11:20 am

retake

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:25 am

KMaine wrote:IP guys do really well at Franklin Pierce.
If you're resistive to retaking, TITCR. Rutgers is also an attractive option at the instate price.

If you're not down for IP though, definitely retake. At the very least, if you bring up your score, you stand to not only make another year's salary (if you have a job) + 1 year of economic recovery + X amount of potential scholarship money

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Fri May 07, 2010 11:25 am

Pierce has a good IP dept and is a solid school, albeit overpriced.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Fri May 07, 2010 12:58 pm

dsc5050 wrote: Haha you are not the first person to tell me that. I have settled on just going to whatever law school I get accepted to with that LSAT. I should have wrote a addendum because my father was going through heart surgery during that time period but I read a book which said everyone has a excuse and not to write one. I feel whatever school I go to I will excel, but if for some reason I do not and can not transfer I am wondering what school people think would be the best for a prospective patent attorney?
JuTMSY4 wrote:
KMaine wrote:IP guys do really well at Franklin Pierce.
If you're resistive to retaking, [strike]TITCR.[/strike] write a letter to each of these schools and tell them you've reconsidered law school. Seriously. You have a 3.74 in ME, so you're clearly rather intelligent. You CANNOT be this lazy, since retaking for just a few points can make you tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money, or get you into a school with markedly better job prospects. If you are too lazy to retake the LSAT when you surely have to stand to improve at least several points, you should NOT be going to law school. You're not going to make it if that is just too much for you and you're willing to settle for this score because the effort of the LSAT is just too much. Yes, I'm serious. Grab your nuts and retake the damn test, man.
FTFY.

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Fri May 07, 2010 3:53 pm

For the love of all that's holy retake retake retake! Check out the LSAT prep forum for some pointers for study. You may also find that you have a better aptituded at the test the second time around. For example in my practice tests the first time I took it I only hit 170 once. The practice tests I take now 170 is my lowest score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:31 pm

I think the advice to retake is sound, as even a slight improvement would mean (at the very least) bigger scholarships at the schools you are looking. But, I gather you simply don't want to retake. As such, simply telling you to retake will be fruitless and not aid you in your query.

Thus, Pierce, without a doubt. It's definitely the best patent law school for someone with your LSAT.

FullThrottle

New

Post by FullThrottle » Sat May 08, 2010 11:31 am

Transferring is difficult. I wouldn't count on this uncertainty.

Pierce Law is all right for IP. But go to a place you want to live in (as you most likely will) for 5 years after law school.
If you retake and score higher: 1) better acceptances 2) better chances 3) more options 4) Statistically, you have a strong chance of bumping it up if you retake. By a few points mind you, rarely higher than 4 points.

Also, (my opinion) on practice tests later than 2000, your average test score tells a lot about how you'll do if you average 10 exam scores. So if you average a 152 with a range of 150-154, I wouldn't retake. If you average 155 with a range of 152 to 161, I would retake.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sat May 08, 2010 11:34 am

Desert Fox wrote:
dsc5050 wrote:
Don't be an idiot, retake. 3.71 in ME means you aren't that stupid if you went to a halfway decent college.
+1. Oh for the love of God, take a summer intensive course if you have to. Get a 165+ and try for a decent T1.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”