GW vs USC for patent law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UnclaimedGas

GW vs USC for patent law

Postby UnclaimedGas » Thu May 06, 2010 2:47 pm

I m waitlisted at USC, but i am contemplating whether or not to use the "i will eat your acceptance up and matriculate fosho" card. It probably won't do much, but any kinda advantage would be nice. i hold BSEE and MSEE degrees, 5 years of WE, looking to do patent law either in DC, LA or the bay area (slight preference for SF, even for DC and LA).

A couple questions that would go a long way in helping this indecisive bastard:

1. How much better is USC in the bay area than GW (for patent law)? I hear that GW students do well at the loyola patent fair. Does this make up somewhat for GW's lack of strong CA reputation that USC has?
2. How is SoCal's (excluding SanDiego) patent market? is the CA pwnage affecting it signficantly?
3. Who has better chance in landing a biglaw/market paying boutique patent job: a GW dood looking in DC and a USC dood looking in LA/Orange county/irvine?

Thanks!

Always Credited

Re: GW vs USC for patent law

Postby Always Credited » Thu May 06, 2010 3:00 pm

UnclaimedGas wrote:I m waitlisted at USC, but i am contemplating whether or not to use the "i will eat your acceptance up and matriculate fosho" card. It probably won't do much, but any kinda advantage would be nice. i hold BSEE and MSEE degrees, 5 years of WE, looking to do patent law either in DC, LA or the bay area (slight preference for SF, even for DC and LA).

A couple questions that would go a long way in helping this indecisive bastard:

1. How much better is USC in the bay area than GW (for patent law)? I hear that GW students do well at the loyola patent fair. Does this make up somewhat for GW's lack of strong CA reputation that USC has?
2. How is SoCal's (excluding SanDiego) patent market? is the CA pwnage affecting it signficantly?
3. Who has better chance in landing a biglaw/market paying boutique patent job: a GW dood looking in DC and a USC dood looking in LA/Orange county/irvine?

Thanks!

Geedubs is great for patent law, but USC has location. My advice to you is to look at individual firms in the bay area and see if GWU grads are more prevalent than USC grads. If GWU is more prevalent, it'd generally be safe to say that their program (which has only gotten stronger) is enough to overcome the regional distance...assuming you do the necessary legwork.

No idea on the current socal patent market.

As for #3, the answer is generally USC.

UnclaimedGas

Postby UnclaimedGas » Fri May 07, 2010 1:57 am

I searched about 10 websites of top biglaws, and it's no contest... GW patent attorneys were represented at all of those firms' bay area offices while USC patent attorneys were mostly non-existent.

What's shocking is, even in LA, i found that there were more patent attorneys with GW law background than USC law... what?? GW churns out 2.5 times more lawyers, but since most self-select to be on the east coast, this is an unexpected revelation. Maybe USC just doesn't attract many patent dudes? Possible since most people who get into USC can also get into GW, and maybe they just go to GW? i dunno. Well another thing i re-affirmed from this exercise is that LA doesnt really have much of a patent market... but i guess the supply is also relatively low as well

And perhaps those 10 firms i looked at are east coast centric firms where LA offices are satellite offices, and attorneys tend to lateral to LA? Is there a group of west coast centric firms that hire mostly from west coast schools?

GermX

Postby GermX » Fri May 07, 2010 4:03 pm

GW is honestly a better school especially for patent law. You can't go wrong with that school.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri May 07, 2010 5:27 pm

GW is huge on patent law, while USC is not. While GW graduates 2.5 times as many lawyers as USC, it probably graduates as many as ten times as many patent lawyers as USC. Which can help or hurt, really. Some firms look for diversity in schools they're hiring from (giving USC an advantage and GW a disadvantage), but there will be many more GW patent lawyers out there hiring people and probably preferring GW grads (giving GW an advantage and USC a disadvantage).

I think they're more or less equal for patent law in the Bay Area therefore. But, since you're waitlisted at USC, just go to GW.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri May 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Gdubb all the way!

See you in the fall ^_^

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri May 07, 2010 5:45 pm

Regional - USC for LA, GW - DC. GW has an impressive IP program, but I think it would be a big mistake to think that it would make it better for LA IP.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Fri May 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Regional - USC for LA, GW - DC. GW has an impressive IP program, but I think it would be a big mistake to think that it would make it better for LA IP.

I disagree, it'd be at least as good.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri May 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Regional - USC for LA, GW - DC. GW has an impressive IP program, but I think it would be a big mistake to think that it would make it better for LA IP.

Really? If so many people here think so then I guess It'd make sense - I'm no IP expert. I guess GW's IP program is like BU's health law program? I wasn't totally aware that any other T25 school had such a strong specialized program.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Fri May 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

Really? If so many people here think so then I guess It'd make sense - I'm no IP expert. I guess GW's IP program is like BU's health law program? I wasn't totally aware that any other T25 school had such a strong specialized program.

I gathered from my own research + anecdotes of current students at several schools that GW's IP program is miles ahead of the rest of the non-T14, with an OCS more useful than that of several in the T14 when IP opportunities are concerned.

splinter23x

Postby splinter23x » Sat May 08, 2010 9:13 am

With a master's in EE, I think you'll be getting jobs anywhere you want from either GW or USC unless you can't interview to save you're life. I agree with the commenter above who noted that USC's lack of patent-oriented students could actually be a plus because firms like to diversify their law school base. At GW OCI you have a lot more competition from fellow students than at USC. My guess is at USC you'd clean up every single patent job that comes on campus.

Long story short, if you'd really rather go to USC than GW, send the letter, it's a safe choice. But don't sweat it, you'll be fine at GW.

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Sat May 08, 2010 9:24 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

So why comment in a thread asking for advice pertaining to precisely that?

Jesus.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat May 08, 2010 9:52 am

MrOrange wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

So why comment in a thread asking for advice pertaining to precisely that?

Jesus.

Uhh... because GW is a regional school that places 60-70% in DC and the rest basically in NYC. Going to a regional school thats across the country is generally not a good idea when you got into a stronger regional school where you want to work. I know a ton about GW - but I guess that never came up in all my research.

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Sat May 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Uhh... because GW is a regional school that places 60-70% in DC and the rest basically in NYC. Going to a regional school thats across the country is generally not a good idea when you got into a stronger regional school where you want to work. I know a ton about GW - but I guess that never came up in all my research.

If that didn't come up in your research, then you didn't do a very good job.

REGARDLESS...call of the question. Had nothing to do with general reputation. Any idiot who evenly casually browses this site knows that GW isn't generally a national school.

So my question remains the same: why respond to a post when you can't address its major points of interest; e.g., in the IP field, how does GW fare against the likes of USC?

Here's another example of what you did (essentially):

Q: I'm trying to decide on a vacation destination. I've heard surfing in Hawaii is great. How does it compare to the Cali coast?

A: Hawaii's in the middle of the ocean. More water is bettah.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat May 08, 2010 1:52 pm

MrOrange wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Uhh... because GW is a regional school that places 60-70% in DC and the rest basically in NYC. Going to a regional school thats across the country is generally not a good idea when you got into a stronger regional school where you want to work. I know a ton about GW - but I guess that never came up in all my research.

If that didn't come up in your research, then you didn't do a very good job.

REGARDLESS...call of the question. Had nothing to do with general reputation. Any idiot who evenly casually browses this site knows that GW isn't generally a national school.

So my question remains the same: why respond to a post when you can't address its major points of interest; e.g., in the IP field, how does GW fare against the likes of USC?

Here's another example of what you did (essentially):

Q: I'm trying to decide on a vacation destination. I've heard surfing in Hawaii is great. How does it compare to the Cali coast?

A: Hawaii's in the middle of the ocean. More water is bettah.

Defensive are we? I'd bet serious money you're at GW or going to be soon :roll: .

Also, most schools have IP programs - its not something one or two schools do. I was trying to be nice by saying "oops maybe you're right" but honestly, why would anyone go to GW to work in LA. The economy is crap and regional schools are becoming more regional - while its possible to get a job in LA, good freaking luck from GW unless you have some serious connections.

I understand my post was a fail, but you're not the brightest guy around either or you're a GW student borderline fanboy. I know I sure as hell wouldn't tell someone to go to BU over UIUC for Chicago health law even though BU's program arguable better than many T14's.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sat May 08, 2010 2:49 pm

nobody cares about health law

gw's ip program is unprecedented after Stanford and Boalt

hth

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Sat May 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Slight tangent:

Does strength of IP program really matter if you have an EE degree and extensive experience working in the patents realm?

I ask because I'm WL at GWU, but don't have much interest in pursuing it over Fordham purely based on location. A conversation with the admissions dean at GW led me to believe that I'm a very strong candidate for WL -> admit if I keep in touch and profess continuing interest, but I want to live in NYC starting now and ending never. I'm pretty comfortable with this decision, but am looking for reaffirmation that this is not career suicide.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sat May 08, 2010 7:58 pm

tesoro wrote:Slight tangent:

Does strength of IP program really matter if you have an EE degree and extensive experience working in the patents realm?

I ask because I'm WL at GWU, but don't have much interest in pursuing it over Fordham purely based on location. A conversation with the admissions dean at GW led me to believe that I'm a very strong candidate for WL -> admit if I keep in touch and profess continuing interest, but I want to live in NYC starting now and ending never. I'm pretty comfortable with this decision, but am looking for reaffirmation that this is not career suicide.

You're fine.

dood

Postby dood » Sat May 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

splinter23x

Postby splinter23x » Sat May 08, 2010 8:33 pm

tesoro wrote:Slight tangent:

Answer is no. EE degree and work experience is a virtual guaranteed job from any reasonably good law school. And I highly doubt most firms would choose a GW IP student over a UVA IP student, for example, just because GW has a strong IP specialty. I think it's overhyped by GW students.

UnclaimedGas

Postby UnclaimedGas » Sun May 09, 2010 1:16 am

splinter23x wrote:With a master's in EE, I think you'll be getting jobs anywhere you want from either GW or USC unless you can't interview to save you're life. I agree with the commenter above who noted that USC's lack of patent-oriented students could actually be a plus because firms like to diversify their law school base. At GW OCI you have a lot more competition from fellow students than at USC. My guess is at USC you'd clean up every single patent job that comes on campus.

Long story short, if you'd really rather go to USC than GW, send the letter, it's a safe choice. But don't sweat it, you'll be fine at GW.

Is this still true ITE? My guess is if im safely above median at GW, then sure, probably... but I am skeptical that i could do that. I spent the last 5 years staring mindlessly at code and oscilloscopes, and my writing has consisted mostly of typing "simulation failed, rerun plz thx" on my blackberry. Not exactly conducive to being well prepared for law school.

Anyways, im not gonna send that email to USC for now. It seems that GW is at least on par with USC for the bay area patent market, and even for SoCal, i would have a puncher's chance if i were to somehow do well at GW. If i get creamed, i should still have a chance at the huge patent market in DC.

Also as a GW guy, i would be decently marketable to CA firms at the loyola patent fair, whereas as a USC dude, i probably won't be as marketable to east coast firms. And then at GW OCI, i could target east coast firms if i come out empty from the loyola fair. I would be cool with living in DC for a couple years. I am not sure if Im completely set on the west coast anyways. I just like warm weather that's all. 8)

UnclaimedGas

Postby UnclaimedGas » Sun May 09, 2010 1:23 am

dood wrote:Broski, can't type a lot, driving cross country right now, but gw 1L IPer here. All the answers above are somewhat credited. But beware of stats, much is result of self selection.

Also one big advantage at gw is that the school loves and treats it's IP students like gold...non-IP people at geedubs all complain how we are favored by the admin and CDO, like all the events are for us, check my TLS blog for some examples of IP events.

Yo but #1 important thing is ur grades anyways, if u own 1L at either gw or USC u'll be fine regardless of IP.

Sorry for all typos, literally been driving with my knees for past 15 min. Good luck!!

Dood, are the career office people helpful in 1L summer job search for IP people? The ideal 1L job for me would be an in-house position at a large company. Do any GW IP people find such jobs for 1L summer?

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sun May 09, 2010 1:30 am

Last edited by JG Hall on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrOrange

Postby MrOrange » Mon May 10, 2010 8:38 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Defensive are we? I'd bet serious money you're at GW or going to be soon :roll: .

Also, most schools have IP programs - its not something one or two schools do. I was trying to be nice by saying "oops maybe you're right" but honestly, why would anyone go to GW to work in LA. The economy is crap and regional schools are becoming more regional - while its possible to get a job in LA, good freaking luck from GW unless you have some serious connections.

I understand my post was a fail, but you're not the brightest guy around either or you're a GW student borderline fanboy. I know I sure as hell wouldn't tell someone to go to BU over UIUC for Chicago health law even though BU's program arguable better than many T14's.

Do you have to use special utensils, or do you pretty much stick to blended meals?

If you understand your post was a fail, let that stand. As a later poster pointed out, GW's IP program is...very good. And if you know anything about IP in general (and I was hoping you did since you seem to like generalities), you know that IP doesn't quite correlate to "health law."

Again, and hopefully you'll remember this when trying to dispense advice to people with legit questions: if you don't know what you are talking about, refrain from talking. Everybody wins (including you...for looking less like an obtuse ass).

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Mon May 10, 2010 8:55 pm

MrOrange wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Defensive are we? I'd bet serious money you're at GW or going to be soon :roll: .

Do you have to use special utensils, or do you pretty much stick to blended meals?

If you understand your post was a fail, let that stand. As a later poster pointed out, GW's IP program is...very good. And if you know anything about IP in general (and I was hoping you did since you seem to like generalities), you know that IP doesn't quite correlate to "health law."

Again, and hopefully you'll remember this when trying to dispense advice to people with legit questions: if you don't know what you are talking about, refrain from talking. Everybody wins (including you...for looking less like an obtuse ass).

So GW FT or PT? Just curious.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”