Case vs. Pitt for Criminal Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Case vs Pitt

Poll ended at Mon May 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Case Western
40%
Pitt
60%

Total votes: 5

A*Jenna

Case vs. Pitt for Criminal Law

Postby A*Jenna » Thu May 06, 2010 1:16 pm

Ok, so up until Monday I thought that I would be attending Case Western with a nice scholorship. Monday I get a call from Pitt and have one week to decide. My hometown is 40 minutes from Pitt so I know I like the city. My fiance is from the Akron area where I attended undergrad. I want to practice criminal law when I am done. Someone help!

joeshmo39

Re: Case vs. Pitt for Criminal Law

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:30 pm

You need to ask yourself these questions and give us this info too if you wanna decide well.

Does my fiance mind pittsburgh, what city would we prefer?
(this is pittsburgh vs. cleveland, I go Pittsburgh, though I go to Pitt and I'm a native so I'm biased. I think we do have more going for us than cleveland as far as arts/jobs/neighborhoods right now though. I also went to Case once for a mock trial tournament and did not like it.)

Also, how much is the Case scholarship? For 5 or even 10 a year I would be inclined to say Pitt but after that I think the money becomes a big factor.

Look at Pitt clinics vs. Case clinics, look at their trial teams, look at course selection, all the things that would make a difference in criminal law preparation.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu May 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Consider:
1) Do you want to work in PA or Ohio? Granted, these schools probably share a decent amount of overlapping area in the middle where either degree will suffice, but do you see yourself closer to Cleveland or closer to Pittsburgh?
2) Will there be much difference in debt, factoring in cost of living?
3) Where would you rather spend 3 years?
On a totally biased note: I'm a 2L at Pitt and recommend it highly. The faculty is generally awesome....of the 3 criminal law professors I've had, 2 are excellent (one is a bigshot in addition to being a great teacher) and the 3rd isn't bad (although he doesn't stand out).
The people I know who have done halfway decent in these classes have been able to get themselves summer jobs with the DA or PD.

A*Jenna

Postby A*Jenna » Thu May 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Fiance broke his neck (at c2) last August right before start of my senior year, He doesn't mind Pitt, but doctors are in Cleveland, and won't be moving for a year, I am his main caregiver, being that he can't drive, is lucky to be alive, and has only 10% of his neck movement back. His family would, probably step up.
My family is closer to Pitt.
Scholorship is 10,000 to Case, but Pitt is out of state, so cost is the same.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Thu May 06, 2010 1:46 pm

A*Jenna wrote:Fiance broke his neck (at c2) last August right before start of my senior year, He doesn't mind Pitt, but doctors are in Cleveland, and won't be moving for a year, I am his main caregiver, being that he can't drive, is lucky to be alive, and has only 10% of his neck movement back. His family would, probably step up.
My family is closer to Pitt.
Scholorship is 10,000 to Case, but Pitt is out of state, so cost is the same.

That's a tough call only you can make. Sorry!

Be aware that is your family is in PA you can probably get in state at Pitt pretty easy for 2nd & 3rd years (especially if you used to live in PA.) Even if they're not it's quite possible.

yabbadabbado

Postby yabbadabbado » Thu May 06, 2010 2:45 pm

If you are caring for a disabled/sick loved one right now, your best bet is probably to hold off on law school until that situation stabilizes. Law school is very stressful and time consuming, and with major responsibilities at home you probably won't be in a position to do your best.

If you want to work in Cleveland, I'd probably pick CSU over Case due the cost. Case isn't worth the $ they charge considering it is a relatively middling school in the grand scheme of things.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Thu May 06, 2010 3:36 pm

If cost is the same, you might as well go to Case. I took a ton of crim law electives and participated in Case's criminal defense clinic. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions regarding Case and/or criminal law.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”