Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jjd06e
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 6:10 pm

FuManChusco wrote:This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.


Well good for you, some of us did not have time to take 30+ practice tests. The elitism on this board is too much sometimes. You're advice isn't bad but you don't have to have the attitude.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby FuManChusco » Thu May 06, 2010 6:21 pm

jjd06e wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.


Well good for you, some of us did not have time to take 30+ practice tests. The elitism on this board is too much sometimes. You're advice isn't bad but you don't have to have the attitude.


You're right, you don't have to. Then you end up getting a 159 and having to choose between UDM, Cuse, and Cooley. If you're going to commit 100k+ in debt and pursue a career in law, then you should put away the time to diligently study for the LSAT. I'm not saying you're a lesser person because you didn't get into a T14 or T30. I'm not an elitist. I just think you're an idiot for taking 2 PTs and settling for a T2 or TTT. You're most likely capable of scoring much higher than a 159 and I think it's a joke that you don't care enough to improve. This is your career we're talking about.

User avatar
dutchstriker
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby dutchstriker » Thu May 06, 2010 6:30 pm

Wow. Seriously, study more and retake the LSAT. Two preptests is a joke. Take at least 20, more like 35 or 40. With a 159 diagnostic, you should be able to get in the mid 160s easily. At that point, you will be in much, much better shape.

You can either say, "I don't have time to study" or "I don't know what I'd do for a year" but you can't say both. Deliver pizzas for a year, get a much better LSAT, and go to a better school and/or get more money.

jjd06e
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 6:32 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
jjd06e wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.


Well good for you, some of us did not have time to take 30+ practice tests. The elitism on this board is too much sometimes. You're advice isn't bad but you don't have to have the attitude.


You're right, you don't have to. Then you end up getting a 159 and having to choose between UDM, Cuse, and Cooley. If you're going to commit 100k+ in debt and pursue a career in law, then you should put away the time to diligently study for the LSAT. I'm not saying you're a lesser person because you didn't get into a T14 or T30. I'm not an elitist. I just think you're an idiot for taking 2 PTs and settling for a T2 or TTT. You're most likely capable of scoring much higher than a 159 and I think it's a joke that you don't care enough to improve. This is your career we're talking about.


Yea, but in all seriousness the first job is the toughest to get and it's on reputation after that. I want to be a criminal lawyer most likely and in Michigan and I have some resources in state that I think would help tremendously. I also am getting scholarships from UDM and Cooley(although Cooley is basically eliminated since I got the udm scholly) so I will not get close to $100 k in debt, that would only happen if I went to one of those top 50 to 100 schools without the scholarship. If I didn't have an in and wanted to do say corporate law than I'd agree 100% with you but I'm not so sure what to do now with my current situation.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu May 06, 2010 6:40 pm

That name was always follow you around though.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby FuManChusco » Thu May 06, 2010 6:43 pm

jjd06e wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
jjd06e wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.


Well good for you, some of us did not have time to take 30+ practice tests. The elitism on this board is too much sometimes. You're advice isn't bad but you don't have to have the attitude.


You're right, you don't have to. Then you end up getting a 159 and having to choose between UDM, Cuse, and Cooley. If you're going to commit 100k+ in debt and pursue a career in law, then you should put away the time to diligently study for the LSAT. I'm not saying you're a lesser person because you didn't get into a T14 or T30. I'm not an elitist. I just think you're an idiot for taking 2 PTs and settling for a T2 or TTT. You're most likely capable of scoring much higher than a 159 and I think it's a joke that you don't care enough to improve. This is your career we're talking about.


Yea, but in all seriousness the first job is the toughest to get and it's on reputation after that. I want to be a criminal lawyer most likely and in Michigan and I have some resources in state that I think would help tremendously. I also am getting scholarships from UDM and Cooley(although Cooley is basically eliminated since I got the udm scholly) so I will not get close to $100 k in debt, that would only happen if I went to one of those top 50 to 100 schools without the scholarship. If I didn't have an in and wanted to do say corporate law than I'd agree 100% with you but I'm not so sure what to do now with my current situation.


It's not a coincidence that everyone in this thread is telling you to retake and reapply. I'm not going to bother trying to help you anymore. You clearly don't care. Go to your TTT and pray that your hook up is still around in 3 years.

OG Loc
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby OG Loc » Thu May 06, 2010 6:50 pm

wakefield wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
The Invisible Man wrote:Take a year off, study/practice taking the LSAT for 3-4 months and re-take.

[strike]If not, then go to Syracuse[/strike].


+1. Cuse Law isn't even very well-regarded in its home market.


Sure it is. But still not worth even close to sticker.

jjd06e wrote:
Well good for you, some of us did not have time to take 30+ practice tests. The elitism on this board is too much sometimes. You're advice isn't bad but you don't have to have the attitude.


For God's sake, make time. It will be worth it.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:52 pm

jjd06e wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
jjd06e wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.


Well good for you, some of us did not have time to take 30+ practice tests. The elitism on this board is too much sometimes. You're advice isn't bad but you don't have to have the attitude.


You're right, you don't have to. Then you end up getting a 159 and having to choose between UDM, Cuse, and Cooley. If you're going to commit 100k+ in debt and pursue a career in law, then you should put away the time to diligently study for the LSAT. I'm not saying you're a lesser person because you didn't get into a T14 or T30. I'm not an elitist. I just think you're an idiot for taking 2 PTs and settling for a T2 or TTT. You're most likely capable of scoring much higher than a 159 and I think it's a joke that you don't care enough to improve. This is your career we're talking about.


Yea, but in all seriousness the first job is the toughest to get and it's on reputation after that. I want to be a criminal lawyer most likely and in Michigan and I have some resources in state that I think would help tremendously. I also am getting scholarships from UDM and Cooley(although Cooley is basically eliminated since I got the udm scholly) so I will not get close to $100 k in debt, that would only happen if I went to one of those top 50 to 100 schools without the scholarship. If I didn't have an in and wanted to do say corporate law than I'd agree 100% with you but I'm not so sure what to do now with my current situation.


This isn't true at all. My cousin works for a pretty big business (they don't have a GC) and their legal counsel provides a list of everyone working on their cases and where they went to law school. Even for the partners. He isn't willing to have anyone from outside a top school do work for them as he couldn't explain it to the owner if they messed up. They get a warm fuzzy from the reputation of the school.

I've heard this echoed from several GC's. Also, my step-dad went to Widener years ago and has never gotten outside of its shadow. He's done okay but I doubt he's ever made more than $40k a year. He was even an elected DA for several terms but when he left that no firm would touch him. He's even in Widener's backyard.

How do you know your contact will still be around? If this is a government office, how do you know they won't be in a hiring freeze when you graduate?

You have the chance to go to a much better school with a little practice. You said you couldn't find time to take LSATs...how will you find time to go to school? I studied for and took the LSAT while deployed to Iraq. I got about 4-5 hours of sleep a night in order to do it but I recognized it's importance.

30 prep tests between now and October is nothing. You are looking at one test a week.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:56 pm

IF you want to do Crim Law in Michigan, and assuming that UDM scholarship was 30,500 per year, not 30,500 over 3 yeara, then it's not a bad option. Since you can commute, you'd be looking at only 15k or so in debt after 3 years. Possibly less. If that scholarship was 30.5 over the course of three years, don't do it.

I'm saying this given that you appear reticent (if not totally unwilling) to take an extra year off and study for the LSAT. I PT'd at 160, and after I did 10 or 12 PTs and a small portion of the LG bible, I was averaging upper 160s. I was quite sick the day of the test but got a 166. Even though you have a lower 3.3 GPA, with a 166 you'd definitely be looking at better schools - like a full scholarship to Michigan State or Wayne State.

It's nice to have a connection, but don't rest all of your hopes and projections upon that connection. Things can change in 3 or 4 years.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu May 06, 2010 7:01 pm

jjd06e wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.


Well good for you, some of us did not have time to take 30+ practice tests. The elitism on this board is too much sometimes. You're advice isn't bad but you don't have to have the attitude.


It takes about three hours to complete a full practice test. You don't have 3 hours a day to devote to something this important? Please show me your daily schedule and I will show you where you can squeeze in time for LSAT study.

User avatar
wakefield
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:45 am

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby wakefield » Thu May 06, 2010 7:11 pm

OG Loc wrote:
wakefield wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
The Invisible Man wrote:Take a year off, study/practice taking the LSAT for 3-4 months and re-take.

[strike]If not, then go to Syracuse[/strike].


+1. Cuse Law isn't even very well-regarded in its home market.


Sure it is. But still not worth even close to sticker.




Not really. I live in that area. Anecdotal, but not a single practicing attorney in upstate NY has spoken positively of Syracuse - not even the ones who went there. I've talked with quite a few of them, but certainly not all. Just saying, I wouldn't count on getting a job coming out of Cuse.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu May 06, 2010 7:36 pm

jjd06e wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:This is absurd. I didn't even bother reading the thread after I saw you took 2 PTs. Dude, I've taken 2 PTs back to back. Before the June LSAT, I'll probably be about 35 PTs deep with extra section practice. You are literally insane if you take one of those offers with what was basically a 160 diagnostic and a 3.3. Study your balls off, get a 170 and ED to UVA. You'll thank me later.


Well good for you, some of us did not have time to take 30+ practice tests. The elitism on this board is too much sometimes. You're advice isn't bad but you don't have to have the attitude.

This is usually code for "too lazy to do all those tests." I'm not trying to be a jerk.. more like showing tough love. But you want the results? Put in the work.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby darknightbegins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:38 pm

You are telling me with Cuse's alumni network the guy can't get a job coming out of there? The VP of the United States went there. Saying it isn't worth sticker is one thing, saying you can't get a job out of there is something else entirely.

OG Loc
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby OG Loc » Thu May 06, 2010 8:00 pm

wakefield wrote:

Not really. I live in that area. Anecdotal, but not a single practicing attorney in upstate NY has spoken positively of Syracuse - not even the ones who went there. I've talked with quite a few of them, but certainly not all. Just saying, I wouldn't count on getting a job coming out of Cuse.


I live in Syr too, and I believe your anecdotes - this place has to be one of the most negative, self hating cities in the country. But regardless, generally SU=UB=Albany in upstate with minimal competition from others. The DA office (where I once interned), the local criminal practice, and the pseudo-biglaw firms are filled with grads from them. It is a tertiary market, much too small to absorb a whole class of SU grads every year; But I don't think an SU grad in Syracuse would fare any worse than, say, a Baylor grad in Waco or a Tennessee grad in Knoxville.

User avatar
wakefield
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:45 am

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Postby wakefield » Thu May 06, 2010 9:47 pm

OG Loc wrote:
wakefield wrote:

Not really. I live in that area. Anecdotal, but not a single practicing attorney in upstate NY has spoken positively of Syracuse - not even the ones who went there. I've talked with quite a few of them, but certainly not all. Just saying, I wouldn't count on getting a job coming out of Cuse.


I live in Syr too, and I believe your anecdotes - this place has to be one of the most negative, self hating cities in the country. But regardless, generally SU=UB=Albany in upstate with minimal competition from others. The DA office (where I once interned), the local criminal practice, and the pseudo-biglaw firms are filled with grads from them. It is a tertiary market, much too small to absorb a whole class of SU grads every year; But I don't think an SU grad in Syracuse would fare any worse than, say, a Baylor grad in Waco or a Tennessee grad in Knoxville.


Agreed. OP would probably be better off going to Buffalo and hoping for in-state tuition at some point.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests