Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jjd06e

New

Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 1:03 am

Okay, I had an odd cycle. The LSAT site I wanted to take it at filled way faster than I expected so I could not take the LSAT until FEB so I got a late start to the cycle and missed the Wayne State deadline. I got rejected from Case and Florida State. I got into Syracuse (a tier 2) and then got waitlisted at Michigan State and Marquette (tier 3s). Also would be able to get a 60% scholarship at Cooley and Detroit Mercy has mentioned scholarships but I havent gotten any official info from them on scholarships. I also may be able to have my late application reviewed at Wayne State, so that option might not be completely dead.

Now I know Syracuse is obviously the best school, its a tier 2, all tier 3 schools I applied to waitlisted me and the other two are tier 4 with scholarship opportunities. Syracuse would be the obvious choice except it is so expensive and they offered me no money and at the end of law school I would likely want to practice in Michigan so maybe one of the Michigan schools would be a better option for me. I really dont know what to do, the waitlist from Michigan State really caught me off guard, I should have gotten in there without being waitlisted.

What do you guys think? And for arguments sake what would you think if Wayne State was added to that list?

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Syracuse v. Cooley v. Detroit Mercy

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 1:05 am

In before people say take a year off and retake.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu May 06, 2010 1:07 am

romothesavior wrote:In before people say take a year off and retake.
damn it. fine then, go to cooley.

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 1:08 am

I know, I almost should. My GPA rose in my last semester of college from what the schools saw on my lsac report and I am fairly confident I could do better on the LSAT, since my score was lower by a couple points than all the practice tests I took. I just dont know what Id do while re-doing the cycle.

Also I hope there isnt too much Cooley bashing in this thread, I know the reputation it has, but 60% scholarship is significant and I know a few people who did ok who went there. That being said, if I get into Michigan St or Wayne St its pretty much eliminated as an option.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 1:10 am

jjd06e wrote:
I know, I almost should. My GPA rose in my last semester of college from what the schools saw on my lsac report and I am fairly confident I could do better on the LSAT, since my score was lower by a couple points than all the practice tests I took.
1. No, you definitely should. If you want to be a lawyer with a job, you definitely should.
2. What are your numbers?
3. What were your LSAT study habits?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 1:12 am

romothesavior wrote:
jjd06e wrote:
I know, I almost should. My GPA rose in my last semester of college from what the schools saw on my lsac report and I am fairly confident I could do better on the LSAT, since my score was lower by a couple points than all the practice tests I took.
1. No, you definitely should. If you want to be a lawyer with a job, you definitely should.
I had a 3.25 and 156. My gpa rose my last semester after making Dean's list and is now a 3.3, and on the practice tests I took I got a 159 and 161. My study habits were I just did a lot of practice problems and took 2 practice tests.

I dont know how much better, say a 3.3/159 is than a 3.25/156.
Last edited by jjd06e on Thu May 06, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Thu May 06, 2010 1:13 am

You need to take ALL the practice tests. literally.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Thu May 06, 2010 1:14 am

jjd06e wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
jjd06e wrote:
I had a 3.25 and 156. My gpa rose my last semester after making Dean's list and is now a 3.3, and on the practice tests I took I got a 159 and 161. My study habits were I just did a lot of practice problems and took 2 practice tests.
Go to the LSAT Prep Forum. Do everything they tell you. Have fun at Ohio State.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 1:20 am

Seriously, your LSAT study habits sucked. 2 prep tests is nowhere near enough. And even more important than the quanity of studying is the quality of the studying.

You need to completely start from scratch.

1. Work on TONS of practice problems, and do them according to section (LR, LG, and RC). Do the questions untimed and slowly, working through each stem and question. Work through each problem, and don't just look for the right answer. Also look at why the wrong answers are wrong. Over time, you will start to see patterns developing, and these patterns are essential to really "knowing" the LSAT. You cannot work quickly and effectively on the LSAT without knowing these patterns.

2. After you start to feel really comfortable with each section, start testing your endurance.

3. Finally, start doing practice tests. And I mean LOTS of them. After each test, go back and see what you missed and why. This review after each practice test is the most important part of the practice test because you'll see what is actually tripping you up.

You should spend at least 3 months or so studying for the LSAT. I would recommend getting a job, studying for the October LSAT, and applying EARLY next cycle.

Do NOT go to one of these schools. Your GPA is decent enough that a good LSAT will make you competitive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu May 06, 2010 1:30 am

romothesavior wrote:Seriously, your LSAT study habits sucked. 2 prep tests is nowhere near enough. And even more important than the quanity of studying is the quality of the studying.

You need to completely start from scratch.

1. Work on TONS of practice problems, and do them according to section (LR, LG, and RC). Do the questions untimed and slowly, working through each stem and question. Work through each problem, and don't just look for the right answer. Also look at why the wrong answers are wrong. Over time, you will start to see patterns developing, and these patterns are essential to really "knowing" the LSAT. You cannot work quickly and effectively on the LSAT without knowing these patterns.

2. After you start to feel really comfortable with each section, start testing your endurance.

3. Finally, start doing practice tests. And I mean LOTS of them. After each test, go back and see what you missed and why. This review after each practice test is the most important part of the practice test because you'll see what is actually tripping you up.

You should spend at least 3 months or so studying for the LSAT. I would recommend getting a job, studying for the October LSAT, and applying EARLY next cycle.

Do NOT go to one of these schools. Your GPA is decent enough that a good LSAT will make you competitive.
+1,000,000

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 1:31 am

Is Syracuse not worth it? Because it is a tier 2 top100 school, but full price is kind of steep for that school. I am filling out the financial aid stuff to see what Im eligible for, but I think Id come out with a lot of debt from there.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu May 06, 2010 1:36 am

jjd06e wrote:Is Syracuse not worth it? Because it is a tier 2 top100 school, but full price is kind of steep for that school. I am filling out the financial aid stuff to see what Im eligible for, but I think Id come out with a lot of debt from there.
Its very steep. Believe us, you can do better. If we wanted you to fail or have a poor life, we'd advocate one of your current choices. They are overpriced and under perform in every meaningful way. One year of your life now is well worth a significant advantage for the rest of your life. Or at least ~10 years out of school.

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Thu May 06, 2010 1:54 am

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu May 06, 2010 1:58 am

jjd06e wrote:Is Syracuse not worth it? Because it is a tier 2 top100 school, but full price is kind of steep for that school. I am filling out the financial aid stuff to see what Im eligible for, but I think Id come out with a lot of debt from there.
Generally, unless we're talking T14, you should probably go to the best regional school you can get into. Syracuse doesn't have more pull in Michigan than a place like Detroit Mercy so I wouldn't recommend it.

Kchuck

Bronze

Post by Kchuck » Thu May 06, 2010 2:00 am

There's this nice lady named Candy Kallen, and she's holding a scholarship for you. I'll get you her email if you want it....

World B. Free

Bronze

Post by World B. Free » Thu May 06, 2010 2:04 am

Kchuck wrote:There's this nice lady named Candy Kallen, and she's holding a scholarship for you. I'll get you her email if you want it....
Word on the street is that Candy has upped it to $16K!!

tadams86

Bronze

Post by tadams86 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:28 am

World B. Free wrote:
Kchuck wrote:There's this nice lady named Candy Kallen, and she's holding a scholarship for you. I'll get you her email if you want it....
Candy better be hawt! If not, I would be so mad if I were going to pheonix law school, and she wasnt. She would be my only hope for happiness!
Last edited by tadams86 on Thu May 06, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

World B. Free

Bronze

Post by World B. Free » Thu May 06, 2010 2:29 am

tadams86 wrote:
World B. Free wrote:
Candy better be hawt! If not, I would be so mad if I were going to pheonix law school.
:lol:

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:52 am

Yes, I'd echo the retake stance. Though I have to admit being surprised that UDM didn't give you money with your current stats. If you could live at home (don't know if you are IN Detroit) and go to UDM on a good-sized scholarship, it wouldn't be too bad for Michigan-based practice. Still, if they don't give you 3/4, then you must retake. Never Cooley. I'm very pro-T3 and T4 compared to most TLSers, but Cooley is just...No.

tadams86

Bronze

Post by tadams86 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:53 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:Yes, I'd echo the retake stance. Though I have to admit being surprised that UDM didn't give you money with your current stats. If you could live at home (don't know if you are IN Detroit) and go to UDM on a good-sized scholarship, it wouldn't be too bad for Michigan-based practice. Still, if they don't give you 3/4, then you must retake. Never Cooley. I'm very pro-T3 and T4 compared to most TLSers, but Cooley is just...No.
Cooley is T1...hth :D :D

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu May 06, 2010 2:59 am

tadams86 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:Yes, I'd echo the retake stance. Though I have to admit being surprised that UDM didn't give you money with your current stats. If you could live at home (don't know if you are IN Detroit) and go to UDM on a good-sized scholarship, it wouldn't be too bad for Michigan-based practice. Still, if they don't give you 3/4, then you must retake. Never Cooley. I'm very pro-T3 and T4 compared to most TLSers, but Cooley is just...No.
T14 even last time I checked.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tadams86

Bronze

Post by tadams86 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:00 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
tadams86 wrote:
T14 even last time I checked.
T12....T14 doesnt exist in cooley world

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Thu May 06, 2010 3:03 am

I don't see how Cuse is such a bad school, it just the cost of it I think is why people bag on it. Reminds me of why people hate on Miami.

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 11:09 am

The other thing is I also might have some connections in the area that could really help me get a job. Ill probably sit and wait on what happens with MSU and Wayne State. Ive got to decide what I want to do when Im done, part of me wants to be a prosecutor, and if thats the case I think Wayne State and MSU would be fine but another part of me wants to be a corporate lawyer and use my undergrad degree to get a joint degree with an MBA. If I did that schools like Syracuse and others would make more sense.

jjd06e

New

Post by jjd06e » Thu May 06, 2010 11:11 am

Yea I really dont know what is going on with UDM. They sent me multiple emails before I applied telling me I was eligible for scholarships if I applied, however I have not heard a word on scholarships since Ive been accepted. Maybe I should try to push the issue a little bit. I live within commuting distance of UDM also.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”