JD/MBA applicable for what?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
concerned1
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:18 am

JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby concerned1 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 am

So what can one actually with a JD/MBA? is it only corporate lawyers who utilize it? Does it make you more marketable in the job market? and what type of salaries/lifestyle does this degree generate?

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4853
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby Borhas » Fri May 07, 2010 10:54 am

it's a good soft for Phd/MD dual degree programs

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby MC Southstar » Fri May 07, 2010 10:55 am

I'm also curious about this.

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby thickfreakness » Fri May 07, 2010 10:56 am

Borhas wrote:it's a good soft for Phd/MD dual degree programs


+180

So, so right.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby d34d9823 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:58 am

Borhas wrote:it's a good soft for Phd/MD dual degree programs

+1000

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby MC Southstar » Fri May 07, 2010 10:59 am

Can you anti-elitists please stop quoting each other so I can hear the elitists speak?

Thanks.

User avatar
quetzalcoatl
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:23 am

Re: JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby quetzalcoatl » Fri May 07, 2010 11:02 am

Profit=f(JD, MBA, Mustache)

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby mrm2083 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:12 am

I think JD/MBAs are awesome and would definitely get one if it weren't for the fact that I'm strait out of undergrad and can't get into Wharton MBA, too bad you can't backdoor through Penn law. Anyways, my goal is to do corporate law and move into a leadership position at fortune 500 (say whatever you guys want but I know a few people who have done it). I spoke to someone who is a JD and holds an extremely high positing, just short of CEO, at one of the largest companies in the world and he told me JD/MBA = amazing for the business world. A lot of people here say JD for business is worthless but if you like law and either already have a business background or want a JD/MBA I think it's a great asset and many people who I would love to be like have told me that.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby MC Southstar » Fri May 07, 2010 11:13 am

mrm2083 wrote:I think JD/MBAs are awesome and would definitely get one if it weren't for the fact that I'm strait out of undergrad and can't get into Wharton MBA, too bad you can't backdoor through Penn law. Anyways, my goal is to do corporate law and move into a leadership position at fortune 500 (say whatever you guys want but I know a few people who have done it). I spoke to someone who is a JD and holds an extremely high positing, just short of CEO, at one of the largest companies in the world and he told me JD/MBA = amazing for the business world. A lot of people here say JD for business is worthless but if you like law and either already have a business background or want a JD/MBA I think it's a great asset and many people who I would love to be like have told me that.


Wonder if the Wharton certificate means anything.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 07, 2010 11:15 am

Just because a JD isn't worthless for business doesn't mean it's worth six figure debt to somebody who doesn't want to be a lawyer.

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby ughOSU » Fri May 07, 2010 11:58 am

MC Southstar wrote:
mrm2083 wrote:I think JD/MBAs are awesome and would definitely get one if it weren't for the fact that I'm strait out of undergrad and can't get into Wharton MBA, too bad you can't backdoor through Penn law. Anyways, my goal is to do corporate law and move into a leadership position at fortune 500 (say whatever you guys want but I know a few people who have done it). I spoke to someone who is a JD and holds an extremely high positing, just short of CEO, at one of the largest companies in the world and he told me JD/MBA = amazing for the business world. A lot of people here say JD for business is worthless but if you like law and either already have a business background or want a JD/MBA I think it's a great asset and many people who I would love to be like have told me that.


Wonder if the Wharton certificate means anything.

From what I hear it means a decent talking point on your resume. So, not completely worthless as long as you're selling it to the right people (read: not banking/consulting/PE).

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: JD/MBA applicable for what?

Postby mrm2083 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:20 pm

I'm planning on getting the Wharton certificate and everyone I have talked to in the business world thinks its awesome. I agree that if you want to go to new york and get into a hedge fun/i banking etc its probably useless. But if you want to do corporate law I'm sure its a nice soft and anything you do with business it will be a plus to have the Wharton name on your resume.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mojomeltdown, Socratease, zeglo and 2 guests