Minnesota VS Wisconsin Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kitzhof

New

Minnesota VS Wisconsin

Post by Kitzhof » Wed May 05, 2010 9:30 pm

I got off the wait list from both schools. My numbers are 155/4.0.

-Will have to pay full in state tuition at both (MN 45k, WI 33k).
-Don't have a preference of where I end up living after law school.

I have to deposit at Minnesota on Friday. I got in at Wisconsin today. Wondering if I should deposit even if I am unsure in order to try to negotiate $.

Do you think that the difference in ranking makes a difference and should play a huge role in the decision?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kitzhof

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Re: Minnesota VS Wisconsin

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Wed May 05, 2010 9:32 pm

Difference in ranking between these two is basically null.

Decide if you like MN enough to pay $12k more a year to go there. (I wouldn't, but I have an irrational love for wisco)

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed May 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Wisconsin, no bar exam.

Rankings shouldn't matter, and both pretty much kick ass (relatively speaking) in their states. Milwaukee trumps the Twin Cities.

fwaam

Bronze

Post by fwaam » Wed May 05, 2010 10:08 pm

All about location preferences. If you're not positive you want to stay in that area.... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't UMN have some degree of national portability? At least when compared to UW?

If you're sure you want to stay in one of those two states, and you really don't care which one, I'd say Wisconsin because you save $36,000, not an inconsiderable amount of money. (The way the job market looks these days, that could be an entire year's salary for you.) But I don't know about any COL differences between their respective cities, either.

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Wed May 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Wisconsin, no bar exam.

Rankings shouldn't matter, and both pretty much kick ass (relatively speaking) in their states. Milwaukee trumps the Twin Cities.
Egregious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Thu May 06, 2010 5:42 am

Neil wrote:

Egregious.
Worse than egregious.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Thu May 06, 2010 9:26 am

No preference, no difference between schools, Wisconsin significantly cheaper. Go Wisconsin.
All about location preferences. If you're not positive you want to stay in that area.... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't UMN have some degree of national portability? At least when compared to UW?
UW's actually marginally better for some reason in normal economies, albeit to a degree that's impossible to rely on.

Chelios

Bronze

Post by Chelios » Thu May 06, 2010 9:28 am

I'd take UMN

crazyeddie

New

Post by crazyeddie » Thu May 06, 2010 9:36 am

Wisconsin all the way. Rationale:

1.) Minn, Indiana, Wisconsin, & Iowa all share similar prospects, just in different geographic locations. To some degree this is also true of Illinois, however Illinois has the best access to Chicago BigLaw of all of these schools.

2.) Wisconsin diploma priv. is amazing if you are thinking of working in WI.

3.) Madison is kickass.

4.) Wisconsin is cheaper

5.) Wisconsin's law in action approach to teaching law seems pretty cool to me.

Don't let a few notches on the USNews ranking deter you. My cousin is a professor at U Minnesota, and even he would tell you Wisconsin is absolutely a peer school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu May 06, 2010 9:43 am

Hmm, given the similar rankings and reputation i'd probably take WI in this case. The Twin Cities are sweet but so is Madison...

full-disclosure: I'm sitting on MN's WL and want in.

Kitzhof

New

Post by Kitzhof » Thu May 06, 2010 10:21 am

Thank you everyone for your replies so far. Here are some of my thoughts.

Originally, Wisconsin was my first choice. The only reason why I applied at Minnesota was because I had a fee waiver. I never thought that I would get wait-listed, let alone accepted there. Usually, I had no chance of getting in there with my numbers. This makes it difficult for me to write off Minnesota.

Should I try to ask for $ from the schools?

The consensus seems to be that the ranking differences are too little to play a role. What about the legal markets in the those states? Minneapolis legal market > Madison legal market?

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 am

45k is neither the single year or three year total tuition at Minnesota.

Kitzhof

New

Post by Kitzhof » Thu May 06, 2010 10:34 am

45k is neither the single year or three year total tuition at Minnesota.
Sorry, total COA $48,553.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu May 06, 2010 10:37 am

Kitzhof wrote:
Should I try to ask for $ from the schools?

The consensus seems to be that the ranking differences are too little to play a role. What about the legal markets in the those states? Minneapolis legal market > Madison legal market?
A. You certainly can. Be wary of deadlines, though

B. Yes, the Minneapolis>Madison in terms of legal market. Madison is close to Chicago and Milwaukee, however, and, like MN, UW is the big dog in Wisconsin. I really don't think the job prospects are going to be drastically different. Plus, with WI, you get diploma privilege when you graduate meaning you don't have to take the bar exam to be admitted to the bar.

It may be worth noting that WI placed 23.3% of it's grads in NLJ 250 firms. MN placed 19.4

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu May 06, 2010 10:48 am

Minnesota.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Thu May 06, 2010 3:00 pm

I think the diploma privilege is cool and something great for anyone who wants to practice in Wisconsin. However, I'd take the Twin Cities to work/live/study in over anywhere in Wisconsin any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Also, yes, you should ask for money. It can never hurt to politely ask. Even if you get $1k a year, that's still $3k less in debt you'll be just from sending a polite email.
Last edited by Thomas Jefferson on Thu May 06, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu May 06, 2010 3:01 pm

Go to WI and tell MN to give me your spot. I can haz plz?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kitzhof

New

Post by Kitzhof » Thu May 06, 2010 9:25 pm

It may be worth noting that WI placed 23.3% of it's grads in NLJ 250 firms. MN placed 19.4
Interesting.
Minnesota.
Do you mind sharing why?
However, I'd take the Twin Cities to work/live/study in over anywhere in Wisconsin any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
lol
Go to WI and tell MN to give me your spot. I can haz plz?
I will ask them to admit you if I write a letter asking for money, okay?

Really haven't made up my mind yet. Now the question is whether or not I should pay $750 by tomorrow in order to still have the option of attending MN. Would I still be able to negotiate $ with MN after I made the deposit. Conversely, would I still be able to negotiate $ with WI if they are my only option left?

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Kitzhof wrote:Would I still be able to negotiate $ with MN after I made the deposit.
Possibly, but not likely.
Kitzhof wrote:would I still be able to negotiate $ with WI if they are my only option left?
Even less likely.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu May 06, 2010 9:34 pm

Don't underestimate the advantage of a decent sized home market like the Twin Cities ITE. Other reasons to attend? UMN is characterized by a great, collegial atmosphere. I felt like I'd be quite comfortable there for three or more years. The clinical opportunities are also diverse and exciting, but I realize that isn't a major selling point for all prospective students. To top it all off, Minneapolis is fantastic, it's one of the only midwestern cities that is still expanding. I still regret not depositing at Minnesota, but I chased the scholarship money instead.

Edit: Unfortunately, Minnesota does not negotiate scholarships. I confirmed this fact via two adcomm conversations and during the ASW financial aid session.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Fri May 07, 2010 1:02 pm

LOL. That is like saying Hartford trumps Boston.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Fri May 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Informative wrote:

LOL. That is like saying Hartford trumps Boston.
On the other hand, Madison trumps the entire state of Minnesota.

Also, we only have one other law school in the state while a UMN graduate has to compete with the top 10% from Mitchell, Hamline, and St. Thomas. Combine that with the greater national reach (yes this is true) and diploma privilege and Wisconsin is the clear choice. Full disclosure, I'm a 1L at Wisconsin avoiding finals and I turned down an all but full ride at Minnesota for a half ride at Wisconsin.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Fri May 07, 2010 3:10 pm

Simpler Times wrote:On the other hand, Madison trumps the entire state of Minnesota.
lollz

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri May 07, 2010 5:44 pm

As someone who has spent extensive time in both the Twin Cities and Madison.. it is Madison by a long shot.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Fri May 07, 2010 5:56 pm

155/4.0?

And a good enough profile overall that you got off of MN's waitlist with a 155?

Holy retake Batman.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”