Minnesota VS Wisconsin Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
OG Loc

Bronze

Re: Minnesota VS Wisconsin

Post by OG Loc » Fri May 07, 2010 6:21 pm

DerrickRose wrote:155/4.0?

And a good enough profile overall that you got off of MN's waitlist with a 155?

Holy retake Batman.
Maybe...but would need about a 10 point increase to even be in the game for T14, which I think would be the only outcome worth taking a year off while giving up in state UW/UMN. But something to consider, OP, if you seriously underprepped/underperformed on the LSAT.

Of these two at these prices I would go UW, though I do think UMN is a better school.

Kitzhof

New

Post by Kitzhof » Fri May 07, 2010 6:28 pm

Update:

Just deposited with MN to buy me some more time to think about this. I felt that two days was not long enough to make a good decision. So please keep the advice coming.

Kitzhof

New

Post by Kitzhof » Fri May 07, 2010 6:37 pm

OG Loc wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:155/4.0?

And a good enough profile overall that you got off of MN's waitlist with a 155?

Holy retake Batman.
Maybe...but would need about a 10 point increase to even be in the game for T14, which I think would be the only outcome worth taking a year off while giving up in state UW/UMN. But something to consider, OP, if you seriously underprepped/underperformed on the LSAT.

Of these two at these prices I would go UW, though I do think UMN is a better school.
Yeah, I had a difficult time with the LSAT. I took it three times. I am using the excuse that I never found the time to adequately prepare for it or that I am a foreigner. I know "I could have been a contender." Yet, failure can be beneficial.

OG Loc

Bronze

Post by OG Loc » Fri May 07, 2010 6:44 pm

One other thing to consider is that Minnesota loves high LSAT splitters, meaning that there is a sizable population of T14-level talent (as measured by the LSAT) to have to deal with on the curve, while Wisconsin is more traditional in their evaluations. Just another thing to think about, especially considering that the schools place very similarly.

gmstbfla

New

Post by gmstbfla » Sat May 08, 2010 11:21 am

OG Loc wrote:One other thing to consider is that Minnesota loves high LSAT splitters, meaning that there is a sizable population of T14-level talent (as measured by the LSAT) to have to deal with on the curve, while Wisconsin is more traditional in their evaluations. Just another thing to think about, especially considering that the schools place very similarly.
I would say that 4 years of UGPA is more indicative of how much effort a person will put forth in law school than one test. Effort generally correlates better with grades than intelligence.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Devin the Dude

New

Post by Devin the Dude » Sat May 08, 2010 12:07 pm

Two points:

1) I was such a degenerate in college that I had to get As in my last few classes just to graduate. I proceeded to score 175+ on the LSAT, and Minnesota rejected me even though I'm from there. So maybe Minnesota likes high-LSAT splitters, but obviously not all of them.

2) There's a reason people like me aren't "T14-quality." Yes, I'm statistically more likely to spot a few more issues on that torts puzzle, but I'm statistically less likely to actually show up for class. Maybe I'm much more motivated now and actually will show up, but maybe I'm much better at logic games than tort law games. Or maybe you're better at memorizing the FRCP than me, and we'll just happen to have a closed-book civpro exam, and you'll kick my ass.

Law school exams are a short series of unpredictable, unique events. LSAT/GPA don't predict much.

Deciding between Minnesota and Wisconsin should mostly come down to where you want to live. I've lived in both Milwaukee and Minneapolis and have sentimental attachments to both, so it's hard for me to really compare.

OG Loc

Bronze

Post by OG Loc » Sat May 08, 2010 12:30 pm

OK then, I guess they like splitters who are likely to show up for class.

BobDole34

New

Post by BobDole34 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Wisconsin.

Employment: Comparable; Wisconsin has the edge in firms (NLJ 250 rankings) while Minnesota places more in clerkships. Minnesota doesn't own the MLPS legal market by any means.

Top 10% at each have BIGLAW options. Median is likely looking for legal employment in the upper midwest, small firms.

Bottom: fucked

Location: Comparable; Madison > UM's campus but obviously MLPS is a draw for some.

Price: Wisconsin. This tips the scales. Too much extra debt for Minnesota.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Sat May 08, 2010 10:38 pm

OG Loc wrote:OK then, I guess they like splitters who are likely to show up for class.
LOL

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”