Patent Law Question

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ENGINEERD

Patent Law Question

Postby ENGINEERD » Wed May 05, 2010 5:01 pm

I have heard from a lot of people that most students interested in patent law get hired from a convention at loyola chicago.

If this is the case then your schools OCI prospects are thrown out the window.

If I want to go into to patent law and will most likely find a job from this convention should I go to the highest ranked most well known school I can get into rather than a lesser known school in my region???

ENGINEERD

Re: Patent Law Question

Postby ENGINEERD » Wed May 05, 2010 5:53 pm

bumpity bump

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:I have heard from a lot of people that most students interested in patent law get hired from a convention at loyola chicago.

If this is the case then your schools OCI prospects are thrown out the window.

If I want to go into to patent law and will most likely find a job from this convention should I go to the highest ranked most well known school I can get into rather than a lesser known school in my region???

So for going to BOUTIQUE FIRMS, the impact of the name of your school might be lessened, but it is still a factor. It's not as if these firms suddenly don't care what school you went to.

I also don't know if it's true that MOST students interested in patent law get hired this way. It MAY be true that most looking to work at a boutique get hired through the loyola program. Keep in mind that if you go the boutique route, you're really locked into patent.

Finally, although last year there were quite a few firms at Loyola, I've heard from a friend who's doing the program this year that the roster of employers is pretty sparse.

nicdmx

Postby nicdmx » Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:bumpity bump

Never heard of this convention and can't imagine why most patent lawyers would be hired from it. Most patent firms recruit at schools just like other firms do.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed May 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Amy, I think that advice in part depends on the mechanics of of your OCI.

Last year, combining OCI and the loyola patent, I was able to get screening interviews with more than 40 firms. Loyola was also nice for me because it allowed me to have interview experience before my OCI and have offers under my belt before OCI.

I think it's a worthwhile thing to do no matter how good your OCI is. The only caveat is that I've heard that the employer roster this year is pretty weak (although I haven't seen it myself).

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Wed May 05, 2010 6:53 pm

at least last year there were a ton of NorCal firms at Loyola.

martha_c

Postby martha_c » Wed May 05, 2010 8:02 pm

nicdmx wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:bumpity bump

Never heard of this convention and can't imagine why most patent lawyers would be hired from it. Most patent firms recruit at schools just like other firms do.

Hah, if you were hoping to showcase your ignorance for the whole world to see, congrats, you've succeeded. Not only do the most prominent IP boutiques hire a TON at loyola, but the IP departments of many big firms (such as Jones Day, Skadden, Kirkland & Ellis, etc) hire people there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”