Why do some people love Vanderbilt so much?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sdv

Re: Why do some people love Vanderbilt so much?

Postby sdv » Wed May 05, 2010 11:51 pm

in the interest of full disclosure, I'm going there in the fall. But one of the most important factors for me (and perhaps for others) is that it has a unique blend of national placement and a laid-back, non cut throat atmosphere. My opinion (and that's all it is) is that if Vandy were located closer to new york, LA, or chicago, it would be ranked much higher, since there are a higher concentration of both highly rated firms and highly qualified applicants in and around major cities (particularly in the northeast) than there is in the south. I think people tend to ignore the South a bit, otherwise I truly thing the prestige rankings would be much higher.

With that said, it's really cool that a majority of people who attend Vanderbilt seem to have targeted it and genuinely want to be there. Not to pick on a place like Cornell, but I can't imagine that the vast majority of law students (or any students, save...hotel management focused undergraduates?) specifically targeted Cornell over other similarly ranked schools (I'm sure there are some, but it's not called the safety school of the Ivies for nothing...)

Also, I'm pretty sure the "Texas is Texas" comment was meant to point out that Texas is basically it's own country, and not considered part of the South. I'm pretty sure the entire state would agree with that statement.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed May 05, 2010 11:53 pm

observationalist wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:I absolutely loathe Vandy for personal reasons, but even I have to admit the administration seems determined to fight for their students' placement and tries to foster a real community and alum network. Those placement stats were awesome.

*deep breath* That hurt me.

Peara I think I remember some of your story from a few years ago, so I understand the detestation. All I can say is that we've largely been able to avoid the frattiness of greek life. Except Steeplechase, during which there will be no escaping tradition. I do have friends that spend almost all of their time in E. Nashville with the hipster/songwriters though.

Also, things like this are happening that can make you seriously question whether life is actually supposed to be a joke: http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brief/1 ... mall.jhtml

Haha, Nashville is great, my best friend lives there. And like I said in a PM to you, totally respect and admire the law school. I was actually just trying to say that the law school is undeniably appealing and impressive, even to someone who might wish it wasn't. :wink:

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Thu May 06, 2010 12:07 am

Pearalegal wrote:
observationalist wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:I absolutely loathe Vandy for personal reasons, but even I have to admit the administration seems determined to fight for their students' placement and tries to foster a real community and alum network. Those placement stats were awesome.

*deep breath* That hurt me.

Peara I think I remember some of your story from a few years ago, so I understand the detestation. All I can say is that we've largely been able to avoid the frattiness of greek life. Except Steeplechase, during which there will be no escaping tradition. I do have friends that spend almost all of their time in E. Nashville with the hipster/songwriters though.

Also, things like this are happening that can make you seriously question whether life is actually supposed to be a joke: http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brief/1 ... mall.jhtml

Haha, Nashville is great, my best friend lives there. And like I said in a PM to you, totally respect and admire the law school. I was actually just trying to say that the law school is undeniably appealing and impressive, even to someone who might wish it wasn't. :wink:

In that case I'm sorry to have revealed my slight disposition against frattiness. Also, I was just informed that the piranhas are in fact contained (which is both a relief and slightly disappointing).

And to whoever made the comment about Texas being Texas... I definitely interpreted it to mean that Texas doesn't consider itself to be part of the south, but rather a separate region. If we do count Texas as the south then Vandy's '09 placed 46% in the region... even then we're still sending a majority off to other parts of the country and abroad. For abroad we've got at least one joining Foreign Service this year (possibly two), one heading to Africa on a fellowship, and another one randomly upping himself and heading to Chile to do public interest environmental work. So that puts about 2% international for our class, about the same as last year.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”