Why do some people love Vanderbilt so much?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dvd

Why do some people love Vanderbilt so much?

Postby dvd » Wed May 05, 2010 12:08 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eldizknee

Re: Why do some people love Vanderbilt so much?

Postby eldizknee » Wed May 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed May 05, 2010 12:11 pm

UT and UCLA both have home markets that they feed into, whereas Vandy spreads its grads more. I think the love affair has a lot to do with the fact that Vandy's ostensibly the best of the three at feeding into northeastern biglaw.

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed May 05, 2010 12:12 pm

`

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed May 05, 2010 12:17 pm

`

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:24 pm

South, particularly Atlanta.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 05, 2010 2:15 pm

They're super nice, one of the only schools to offer interviews with alums for every applicant that wants one, they have a great student handbook for new admits, and offer generous scholarships. They are also one of the only schools relatively open about their employment stats. They also pay for you to attend ASW.

Except for the flooding, Nashville is a pretty cool city as well. And, after Duke, they're the best school in the South*

*Texas is Texas and UVA places mainly in DC

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed May 05, 2010 2:19 pm

It's a top18 and it's NOT in California.

ascotjunkies

Postby ascotjunkies » Wed May 05, 2010 2:52 pm

FWIW, Vandy was one of the few non-T14 schools that I considered back when I was thinking about law school and was one of the final schools in the running when I decided, ultimately, to go for a PhD (for which I'll be attending Penn in the fall).

From what I've seen both on and off campus, and both in and out of Nashville, Vandy's sense of community is really hard to beat. Vanderbilt grads love the hell out of their school and it's shown every time I've met an alumnus in DC or elsewhere. The school may not have as biggest or widest network, but I imagine that the school-loyalty is helpful in those markets in which it has any presence; just as people are pro-Vandy on these boards, they're probably promoting (though likely not as insistently or obnoxiously) the school just as much IRL.

Just my $0.02. I'm not even attending the school and still feel this much goodwill towards it. :lol:

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed May 05, 2010 2:54 pm

`

hov!

Postby hov! » Wed May 05, 2010 3:04 pm

legalease9 wrote:South, particularly Atlanta.

May have been previously true, but there is now a pretty wide range of places people go. Of the 2011 class I know of a few people going to Atlanta, but alot more going to Houston, Dallas, and Texas in general. There are also quite a few staying in Nashville (because it is actually a pretty pleasant place when it comes down to it). JNSL has some employment numbers somewhere I bet.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:07 pm

hov! wrote:
legalease9 wrote:South, particularly Atlanta.

May have been previously true, but there is now a pretty wide range of places people go. Of the 2011 class I know of a few people going to Atlanta, but alot more going to Houston, Dallas, and Texas in general. There are also quite a few staying in Nashville (because it is actually a pretty pleasant place when it comes down to it). JNSL has some employment numbers somewhere I bet.

Yes, Vandy definitely has national reach. And its VERY strong everywhere in the South. So maybe its better to say that the South is its "home region."

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Wed May 05, 2010 3:12 pm

dvd wrote:So, what is Vanderbilt's "home" market?

South, particularly Tennessee. Than Atlanta and beyond.

VULS alumni are active in 49 states, 3 U.S. territories and 26 foreign countries. This chart shows the number of VULS alumni by location:

Active VULS Alumni
1. Tennessee 2,002
2. Georgia 590
3. Florida 418
4. Texas 414
5. New York 404
6. California 397

For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of the place, and it clearly places well across the country (just a plurality in Tenn.).

I visited after landing on WL, and I can see why it gets so much love. Great atmosphere, beautiful campus, etc. The updated employment #s look outstanding. And ... well, look at observationalist. Probably wouldn't mind growing up to be just like him. Step 1: Go Vandy.

ascotjunkies

Postby ascotjunkies » Wed May 05, 2010 3:12 pm

As for Vandy vs UCLA and UT, comparing the sizes of their programs might also help.

jdhonest

Postby jdhonest » Wed May 05, 2010 3:14 pm

holydonkey wrote:They're super nice, one of the only schools to offer interviews with alums for every applicant that wants one, they have a great student handbook for new admits, and offer generous scholarships. They are also one of the only schools relatively open about their employment stats. They also pay for you to attend ASW.

Except for the flooding, Nashville is a pretty cool city as well. And, after Duke, they're the best school in the South*

You're an absolute idiot. Texas is not "Texas." Each major city in Texas has a pretty distinct feel, and Austin is not what people who've never lived in Texas think of when think of Texas. As someone who's actually lived in Austin and attended Vanderbilt, I can honestly say that the two cities have a lot more in common then most people think.

Often, Texas gets bashed by morons who've never spend an extended amount of time in the state, so they rely on what they hear and see in movies and on television. Most people who are anti-Texas have never lived here. In fact, the most stereotypically "Texan" city is Dallas, which many people from Houston and Austin abhor.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 pm

jdhonest wrote:
holydonkey wrote:They're super nice, one of the only schools to offer interviews with alums for every applicant that wants one, they have a great student handbook for new admits, and offer generous scholarships. They are also one of the only schools relatively open about their employment stats. They also pay for you to attend ASW.

You're an absolute idiot. Texas is not "Texas." Each major city in Texas has a pretty distinct feel, and Austin is not what people who've never lived in Texas think of when think of Texas. As someone who's actually lived in Austin and attended Vanderbilt, I can honestly say that the two cities have a lot more in common then most people think.

Often, Texas gets bashed by morons who've never spend an extended amount of time in the state, so they rely on what they hear and see in movies and on television. Most people who are anti-Texas have never lived here. In fact, the most stereotypically "Texan" city is Dallas, which many people from Houston and Austin abhor.

Overreact much? He was talking about the placement, as in, Vanderbilt is the best school in the south after Duke, and was just clarifying that Texas and UVA were not counted in that ranking because of their placement statistics, IE, most grads from Texas stay in Texas, most UVA go to DC, therefore they arent in his "best of the south" rankings.

jdhonest

Postby jdhonest » Wed May 05, 2010 3:20 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
jdhonest wrote:

Overreact much? He was talking about the placement, as in, Vanderbilt is the best school in the south after Duke, and was just clarifying that Texas and UVA were not counted in that ranking because of their placement statistics, IE, most grads from Texas stay in Texas, most UVA go to DC, therefore they arent in his "best of the south" rankings.

I think that's giving him too much credit.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Wed May 05, 2010 3:23 pm

jdhonest wrote:

This is actually kind of amusing as I really like Texas. That being said, after looking over the rest of your posts, I see that you're a troll so I won't bite on your comment. Have a good day sir. :D

dvd

Postby dvd » Wed May 05, 2010 3:30 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed May 05, 2010 3:49 pm

Better NLJ250 placement than Cornell and Georgetown in latest NLJ250 is a big reason as well.

Also I would like to reiterate that they give out money like candy.

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Wed May 05, 2010 11:26 pm

For our purposes we would love it if the most important reason people were choosing Vanderbilt over other schools (besides Duke, which now does the same thing) is the school's commitment to transparency. That said, I do think job prospects and relative debt-load are the most important factors to consider when deciding whether and where to go to law school. And to the first factor, I think the school's small class-size and enormous geographic diversity have helped us weather the market retraction better than most. Unlike Texas (which keeps a majority of students in-state), UCLA (same thing), and Cornell (same thing), most Vanderbilt grads end up working outside our home state (and region... 60% last year worked outside the south). I know a lot of you have seen this already, but the full Class of 2009 employment list is now available here http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/ (along with '09 data for Duke and Chicago).

Personally though, I've loved living here because I love cheap, excellent, live music and awesome hiking/outdoor opportunities in the surrounding countryside, and I like being around others who appreciate the same things. Last exam ever is tomorrow night, after which I've got a long week of Honkytonking + Steeplechase + Pontoon boats on Percy Priest + grad parties + clay shooting with a senior judge + more Honkytonking. I'm throwing a quick trip up to NY for good measure, but otherwise I'll be in Nashville through July studying for the bar. Can't think of a better place to be doing bar review.

The Invisible Man

Postby The Invisible Man » Wed May 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Why do some people love Harvard so much?

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed May 05, 2010 11:34 pm

I absolutely loathe Vandy for personal reasons, but even I have to admit the administration seems determined to fight for their students' placement and tries to foster a real community and alum network. Those placement stats were awesome.

*deep breath* That hurt me.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 pm

As someone who had the opportunity to be accepted to Vanderbilt UG..I have to say that Vanderbilt had some of the hottest girls of any college I was looking at.
That's why I like Vandy at least.. :wink:

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Wed May 05, 2010 11:48 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I absolutely loathe Vandy for personal reasons, but even I have to admit the administration seems determined to fight for their students' placement and tries to foster a real community and alum network. Those placement stats were awesome.

*deep breath* That hurt me.

Peara I think I remember some of your story from a few years ago, so I understand the detestation. All I can say is that we've largely been able to avoid the frattiness of greek life. Except Steeplechase, during which there will be no escaping tradition. I do have friends that spend almost all of their time in E. Nashville with the hipster/songwriters though.

Also, things like this are happening that can make you seriously question whether life is actually supposed to be a joke: http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brief/1 ... mall.jhtml

Return to “Choosing a Law School”