Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GIJOE3066

New

Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Post by GIJOE3066 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:57 am

I had to join and post this because of all of the negative comments that I have read recently concerning 4T schools. I am married with 4 children, have served honorably as a member of the armed forces overseas (in Afghanistan and Iraq) have been a NYC Police Officer for 15 years, and am considering attending Touro. Does this mean that I will not be a good lawyer, because I did not go to a T14 school? The way that 3T & 4T schools have been described as toilets on this board is insulting not only to those that attend, but also to the entire profession, there is nothing wrong with showing a little bit of respect for other people and for yourself. Try not to disparage someone, or the school they choose to attend, it does not add to the prestige of your school, instead it takes away from any semblance of credibility you may have had based upon attending an exceptional school. I actually thought that I would be able to find reasonably intelligent advice or answers on this board, I imagine that is the original intent, unfortunately it is severely lacking, that is a shame. I hope that this is not indicative of the people that I will be dealing with in what I chose to make as my third career.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 3:00 am

The original intent of this website is directed at top law schools.

hth

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 am

GIJOE3066 wrote:I had to join
no you didn't

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 am

That's some weak flaming.

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Wed May 05, 2010 3:06 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Wed May 05, 2010 3:08 am

--ImageRemoved--

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Wed May 05, 2010 3:10 am

dvd wrote:
GIJOE3066 wrote:I had to join and post this because of all of the negative comments that I have read recently concerning 4T schools. I am married with 4 children, have served honorably as a member of the armed forces overseas (in Afghanistan and Iraq) have been a NYC Police Officer for 15 years, and am considering attending Touro. Does this mean that I will not be a good lawyer, because I did not go to a T14 school? The way that 3T & 4T schools have been described as toilets on this board is insulting not only to those that attend, but also to the entire profession, there is nothing wrong with showing a little bit of respect for other people and for yourself. Try not to disparage someone, or the school they choose to attend, it does not add to the prestige of your school, instead it takes away from any semblance of credibility you may have had based upon attending an exceptional school. I actually thought that I would be able to find reasonably intelligent advice or answers on this board, I imagine that is the original intent, unfortunately it is severely lacking, that is a shame. I hope that this is not indicative of the people that I will be dealing with in what I chose to make as my third career.
Hmmm, I'm not sure the timing of this works out. You said Iraq and Afghanistan, so it couldn't be Desert Storm, but I doubt the NYPD let you take time off to serve in the army. Also, what is an NYPD cop doing making a TLS account at three in the morning? If you are this bad at flaming, maybe Touro is the right choice?
This has to be the most retard comment i have ever read on here.

Apoligies in advance if you are mentally challenged.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Wed May 05, 2010 3:12 am

dvd wrote:
GIJOE3066 wrote:I had to join and post this because of all of the negative comments that I have read recently concerning 4T schools. I am married with 4 children, have served honorably as a member of the armed forces overseas (in Afghanistan and Iraq) have been a NYC Police Officer for 15 years, and am considering attending Touro. Does this mean that I will not be a good lawyer, because I did not go to a T14 school? The way that 3T & 4T schools have been described as toilets on this board is insulting not only to those that attend, but also to the entire profession, there is nothing wrong with showing a little bit of respect for other people and for yourself. Try not to disparage someone, or the school they choose to attend, it does not add to the prestige of your school, instead it takes away from any semblance of credibility you may have had based upon attending an exceptional school. I actually thought that I would be able to find reasonably intelligent advice or answers on this board, I imagine that is the original intent, unfortunately it is severely lacking, that is a shame. I hope that this is not indicative of the people that I will be dealing with in what I chose to make as my third career.
Hmmm, I'm not sure the timing of this works out. You said Iraq and Afghanistan, so it couldn't be Desert Storm, but I doubt the NYPD let you take time off to serve in the army. Also, what is an NYPD cop doing making a TLS account at three in the morning? If you are this bad at flaming, maybe Touro is the right choice?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_co ... med_forces

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed May 05, 2010 3:13 am

Since people are already covering the flame possibilities of this post and because I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight, I will give this a serious answer.

We do not bash T3/T4 schools because they produce inferior lawyers. We bash them because of their career prospects. The whole point of law school is to get a job as a lawyer. Law school is an expensive endeavor, costing upwards of 150k and over 200k in debt for many. It takes a well-paying job to make this money/effort/time spent to be worth it. In general T3/T4 schools do not offer a good return on this investment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed May 05, 2010 3:14 am

richardfitzwell wrote:
dvd wrote:
This has to be the most retard comment i have ever read on here.

Apoligies in advance if you are mentally challenged.
lol stfu

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 3:15 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:Since people are already covering the flame possibilities of this post and because I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight, I will give this a serious answer.

We do not bash T3/T4 schools because they produce inferior lawyers. We bash them because of their career prospects. The whole point of law school is to get a job as a lawyer. Law school is an expensive endeavor, costing upwards of 150k and over 200k in debt for many. It takes a well-paying job to make this money/effort/time spent to be worth it. In general T3/T4 schools do not offer a good return on this investment.
Get out with your facts and reasoning

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Wed May 05, 2010 3:16 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:17 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Wed May 05, 2010 3:18 am

fuck it
Last edited by existenz on Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 am

bk187 wrote:
+1
You guys getting ready for a Shark playoff fail? I am shocked that fans still watch them in the playoffs.

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Wed May 05, 2010 3:20 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:Since people are already covering the flame possibilities of this post and because I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight, I will give this a serious answer.

I will go a step further. We bash them with such virulence because they serve to de-value the JD's we are all seeking. There is a chronic oversupply of lawyers in this country and if the ABA did anything at all to try and reduce the supply to a level where the demand could catch up, T4 wouldn't exist.

The ripple effects from that would be enormous. If there were no NYLS, Touro, or Pace, all of a sudden you stand a better chance of getting a job from St. Johns or Seton Hall. This is turn would make things easier on the bottom parts of the class at T1's. And so on.

So we bash, and tell people not to go to these schools. Primarily its good for them, but its good for us too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed May 05, 2010 3:21 am

DerrickRose wrote:

I will go a step further. We bash them with such virulence because they serve to de-value the JD's we are all seeking. There is a chronic oversupply of lawyers in this country and if the ABA did anything at all to try and reduce the supply to a level where the demand could catch up, T4 wouldn't exist.

The ripple effects from that would be enormous. If there were no NYLS, Touro, or Pace, all of a sudden you stand a better chance of getting a job from St. Johns or Seton Hall. This is turn would make things easier on the bottom parts of the class at T1's. And so on.

So we bash, and tell people not to go to these schools. Primarily its good for them, but its good for us too.
True... I would have addressed this, but I know that when people make really long posts, they never get read. Hopefully with the info divided like this, people will actually read it.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:22 am

calicocat wrote:
bk187 wrote:
+1
You guys getting ready for a Shark playoff fail? I am shocked that fans still watch them in the playoffs.
Making it out of the first round is basically like winning the cup for us. :(

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 am

bk187 wrote:
calicocat wrote:
bk187 wrote:
+1
Making it out of the first round is basically like winning the cup for us. :(
at least you realize it

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:True... I would have addressed this, but I know that when people make really long posts, they never get read. Hopefully with the info divided like this, people will actually read it.
I have a better solution. People understand short sentences. They get bored reading long sentences. They sometimes even lose focus! Therefore, it is preferable to facilitate understanding. To this end, do not communicate in long, complex sentences. Do not write sentences containing unwieldy dependent clauses.

Make your point in as few sentences as possible. Make your sentences with as few words as possible. Hopefully this helps future understanding. Maybe one day it will be for the better. Maybe one day we will not be confused by each other.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 am

dvd wrote:I was not aware of that. That you for the information. However, I still think it may be a flame.
Not a flame, just a dumb.
GIJOE3066 wrote:The way that 3T & 4T schools have been described as toilets on this board is insulting not only to those that attend, but also to the entire profession
No, it's a defense of the profession against poorly educated graduates of diploma mills. It's also a warning to students not to waste $200k going to these toilet schools.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 3:26 am

calicocat wrote:
bk187 wrote:
+1
tbf i think capitals fail is a much more permanent fixture of hockey. The sharks may actually advance.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:37 am

existenz wrote: No, it's a defense of the profession against poorly educated graduates of diploma mills. It's also a warning to students not to waste $200k going to these toilet schools.

I don't get this at all. The disparity in the quality and educational pedigree of the professors at most schools is fairly small, and many T14 schools share some professors with lower-tier schools. Plus, if they pass the bar (and almost all non-CA schools have 66% plus bar passage rate year over year), I don't see what makes TTT and TTTT grads inherently inferior. Now, they may not always be amazing intellects, but that doesn't mean they can't be effective lawyers.

The job prospects and debt arguments are not only fair, but unequivocally true. And, yes, all things being equal, a law firm is probably going to trust hiring someone from a T1 over a T4, but that doesn't mean the T4 candidate demeans the profession simply by possessing a JD.

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Wed May 05, 2010 3:39 am

Wings in 7, if for no other reason than they are playing the Sharks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”