Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GIJOE3066
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:32 am

Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby GIJOE3066 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:57 am

I had to join and post this because of all of the negative comments that I have read recently concerning 4T schools. I am married with 4 children, have served honorably as a member of the armed forces overseas (in Afghanistan and Iraq) have been a NYC Police Officer for 15 years, and am considering attending Touro. Does this mean that I will not be a good lawyer, because I did not go to a T14 school? The way that 3T & 4T schools have been described as toilets on this board is insulting not only to those that attend, but also to the entire profession, there is nothing wrong with showing a little bit of respect for other people and for yourself. Try not to disparage someone, or the school they choose to attend, it does not add to the prestige of your school, instead it takes away from any semblance of credibility you may have had based upon attending an exceptional school. I actually thought that I would be able to find reasonably intelligent advice or answers on this board, I imagine that is the original intent, unfortunately it is severely lacking, that is a shame. I hope that this is not indicative of the people that I will be dealing with in what I chose to make as my third career.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 3:00 am

The original intent of this website is directed at top law schools.

hth

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby calicocat » Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 am

GIJOE3066 wrote:I had to join


no you didn't

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby DerrickRose » Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 am

That's some weak flaming.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby dvd » Wed May 05, 2010 3:06 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby beef wellington » Wed May 05, 2010 3:08 am

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
richardfitzwell
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:03 am

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby richardfitzwell » Wed May 05, 2010 3:10 am

dvd wrote:
GIJOE3066 wrote:I had to join and post this because of all of the negative comments that I have read recently concerning 4T schools. I am married with 4 children, have served honorably as a member of the armed forces overseas (in Afghanistan and Iraq) have been a NYC Police Officer for 15 years, and am considering attending Touro. Does this mean that I will not be a good lawyer, because I did not go to a T14 school? The way that 3T & 4T schools have been described as toilets on this board is insulting not only to those that attend, but also to the entire profession, there is nothing wrong with showing a little bit of respect for other people and for yourself. Try not to disparage someone, or the school they choose to attend, it does not add to the prestige of your school, instead it takes away from any semblance of credibility you may have had based upon attending an exceptional school. I actually thought that I would be able to find reasonably intelligent advice or answers on this board, I imagine that is the original intent, unfortunately it is severely lacking, that is a shame. I hope that this is not indicative of the people that I will be dealing with in what I chose to make as my third career.


Hmmm, I'm not sure the timing of this works out. You said Iraq and Afghanistan, so it couldn't be Desert Storm, but I doubt the NYPD let you take time off to serve in the army. Also, what is an NYPD cop doing making a TLS account at three in the morning? If you are this bad at flaming, maybe Touro is the right choice?


This has to be the most retard comment i have ever read on here.

Apoligies in advance if you are mentally challenged.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby beef wellington » Wed May 05, 2010 3:12 am

dvd wrote:
GIJOE3066 wrote:I had to join and post this because of all of the negative comments that I have read recently concerning 4T schools. I am married with 4 children, have served honorably as a member of the armed forces overseas (in Afghanistan and Iraq) have been a NYC Police Officer for 15 years, and am considering attending Touro. Does this mean that I will not be a good lawyer, because I did not go to a T14 school? The way that 3T & 4T schools have been described as toilets on this board is insulting not only to those that attend, but also to the entire profession, there is nothing wrong with showing a little bit of respect for other people and for yourself. Try not to disparage someone, or the school they choose to attend, it does not add to the prestige of your school, instead it takes away from any semblance of credibility you may have had based upon attending an exceptional school. I actually thought that I would be able to find reasonably intelligent advice or answers on this board, I imagine that is the original intent, unfortunately it is severely lacking, that is a shame. I hope that this is not indicative of the people that I will be dealing with in what I chose to make as my third career.


Hmmm, I'm not sure the timing of this works out. You said Iraq and Afghanistan, so it couldn't be Desert Storm, but I doubt the NYPD let you take time off to serve in the army. Also, what is an NYPD cop doing making a TLS account at three in the morning? If you are this bad at flaming, maybe Touro is the right choice?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_co ... med_forces

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby flyingpanda » Wed May 05, 2010 3:13 am

Since people are already covering the flame possibilities of this post and because I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight, I will give this a serious answer.

We do not bash T3/T4 schools because they produce inferior lawyers. We bash them because of their career prospects. The whole point of law school is to get a job as a lawyer. Law school is an expensive endeavor, costing upwards of 150k and over 200k in debt for many. It takes a well-paying job to make this money/effort/time spent to be worth it. In general T3/T4 schools do not offer a good return on this investment.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby calicocat » Wed May 05, 2010 3:14 am

richardfitzwell wrote:
dvd wrote:
GIJOE3066 wrote:I had to join and post this because of all of the negative comments that I have read recently concerning 4T schools. I am married with 4 children, have served honorably as a member of the armed forces overseas (in Afghanistan and Iraq) have been a NYC Police Officer for 15 years, and am considering attending Touro. Does this mean that I will not be a good lawyer, because I did not go to a T14 school? The way that 3T & 4T schools have been described as toilets on this board is insulting not only to those that attend, but also to the entire profession, there is nothing wrong with showing a little bit of respect for other people and for yourself. Try not to disparage someone, or the school they choose to attend, it does not add to the prestige of your school, instead it takes away from any semblance of credibility you may have had based upon attending an exceptional school. I actually thought that I would be able to find reasonably intelligent advice or answers on this board, I imagine that is the original intent, unfortunately it is severely lacking, that is a shame. I hope that this is not indicative of the people that I will be dealing with in what I chose to make as my third career.


Hmmm, I'm not sure the timing of this works out. You said Iraq and Afghanistan, so it couldn't be Desert Storm, but I doubt the NYPD let you take time off to serve in the army. Also, what is an NYPD cop doing making a TLS account at three in the morning? If you are this bad at flaming, maybe Touro is the right choice?


This has to be the most retard comment i have ever read on here.

Apoligies in advance if you are mentally challenged.

lol stfu

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 3:15 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:Since people are already covering the flame possibilities of this post and because I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight, I will give this a serious answer.

We do not bash T3/T4 schools because they produce inferior lawyers. We bash them because of their career prospects. The whole point of law school is to get a job as a lawyer. Law school is an expensive endeavor, costing upwards of 150k and over 200k in debt for many. It takes a well-paying job to make this money/effort/time spent to be worth it. In general T3/T4 schools do not offer a good return on this investment.

Get out with your facts and reasoning

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby dvd » Wed May 05, 2010 3:16 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby bk1 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:17 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight


+1

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby existenz » Wed May 05, 2010 3:18 am

fuck it
Last edited by existenz on Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby calicocat » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 am

bk1 wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight


+1

You guys getting ready for a Shark playoff fail? I am shocked that fans still watch them in the playoffs.

User avatar
dvd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby dvd » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby DerrickRose » Wed May 05, 2010 3:20 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:Since people are already covering the flame possibilities of this post and because I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight, I will give this a serious answer.

We do not bash T3/T4 schools because they produce inferior lawyers. We bash them because of their career prospects. The whole point of law school is to get a job as a lawyer. Law school is an expensive endeavor, costing upwards of 150k and over 200k in debt for many. It takes a well-paying job to make this money/effort/time spent to be worth it. In general T3/T4 schools do not offer a good return on this investment.


I will go a step further. We bash them with such virulence because they serve to de-value the JD's we are all seeking. There is a chronic oversupply of lawyers in this country and if the ABA did anything at all to try and reduce the supply to a level where the demand could catch up, T4 wouldn't exist.

The ripple effects from that would be enormous. If there were no NYLS, Touro, or Pace, all of a sudden you stand a better chance of getting a job from St. Johns or Seton Hall. This is turn would make things easier on the bottom parts of the class at T1's. And so on.

So we bash, and tell people not to go to these schools. Primarily its good for them, but its good for us too.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby flyingpanda » Wed May 05, 2010 3:21 am

DerrickRose wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:Since people are already covering the flame possibilities of this post and because I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight, I will give this a serious answer.

We do not bash T3/T4 schools because they produce inferior lawyers. We bash them because of their career prospects. The whole point of law school is to get a job as a lawyer. Law school is an expensive endeavor, costing upwards of 150k and over 200k in debt for many. It takes a well-paying job to make this money/effort/time spent to be worth it. In general T3/T4 schools do not offer a good return on this investment.


I will go a step further. We bash them with such virulence because they serve to de-value the JD's we are all seeking. There is a chronic oversupply of lawyers in this country and if the ABA did anything at all to try and reduce the supply to a level where the demand could catch up, T4 wouldn't exist.

The ripple effects from that would be enormous. If there were no NYLS, Touro, or Pace, all of a sudden you stand a better chance of getting a job from St. Johns or Seton Hall. This is turn would make things easier on the bottom parts of the class at T1's. And so on.

So we bash, and tell people not to go to these schools. Primarily its good for them, but its good for us too.


True... I would have addressed this, but I know that when people make really long posts, they never get read. Hopefully with the info divided like this, people will actually read it.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby bk1 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:22 am

calicocat wrote:
bk1 wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight


+1

You guys getting ready for a Shark playoff fail? I am shocked that fans still watch them in the playoffs.


Making it out of the first round is basically like winning the cup for us. :(

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby calicocat » Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 am

bk1 wrote:
calicocat wrote:
bk1 wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight


+1

You guys getting ready for a Shark playoff fail? I am shocked that fans still watch them in the playoffs.


Making it out of the first round is basically like winning the cup for us. :(

at least you realize it

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:True... I would have addressed this, but I know that when people make really long posts, they never get read. Hopefully with the info divided like this, people will actually read it.

I have a better solution. People understand short sentences. They get bored reading long sentences. They sometimes even lose focus! Therefore, it is preferable to facilitate understanding. To this end, do not communicate in long, complex sentences. Do not write sentences containing unwieldy dependent clauses.

Make your point in as few sentences as possible. Make your sentences with as few words as possible. Hopefully this helps future understanding. Maybe one day it will be for the better. Maybe one day we will not be confused by each other.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby existenz » Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 am

dvd wrote:I was not aware of that. That you for the information. However, I still think it may be a flame.

Not a flame, just a dumb.
GIJOE3066 wrote:The way that 3T & 4T schools have been described as toilets on this board is insulting not only to those that attend, but also to the entire profession

No, it's a defense of the profession against poorly educated graduates of diploma mills. It's also a warning to students not to waste $200k going to these toilet schools.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 3:26 am

calicocat wrote:
bk1 wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:I'm in a good mood from the Sharks victory tonight

+1

You guys getting ready for a Shark playoff fail? I am shocked that fans still watch them in the playoffs.

tbf i think capitals fail is a much more permanent fixture of hockey. The sharks may actually advance.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:37 am

existenz wrote:No, it's a defense of the profession against poorly educated graduates of diploma mills. It's also a warning to students not to waste $200k going to these toilet schools.



I don't get this at all. The disparity in the quality and educational pedigree of the professors at most schools is fairly small, and many T14 schools share some professors with lower-tier schools. Plus, if they pass the bar (and almost all non-CA schools have 66% plus bar passage rate year over year), I don't see what makes TTT and TTTT grads inherently inferior. Now, they may not always be amazing intellects, but that doesn't mean they can't be effective lawyers.

The job prospects and debt arguments are not only fair, but unequivocally true. And, yes, all things being equal, a law firm is probably going to trust hiring someone from a T1 over a T4, but that doesn't mean the T4 candidate demeans the profession simply by possessing a JD.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Why is there continual bashing of T3 & T4 schools?

Postby Lonagan » Wed May 05, 2010 3:39 am

Wings in 7, if for no other reason than they are playing the Sharks.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest