Columbia Law...Bad idea to move a family there?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
KMaine

Re: Columbia Law...Bad idea to move a family there?

Postby KMaine » Wed May 05, 2010 11:37 am

OP - Are you going to LS if you do not get into Columbia? I am a dad and did not apply to any schools in big cities except Columbia (fee waiver, Walitlisted and withdrew before they could reject me) :D . Mostly because of personal preference and cost of living. However, I think you can do it. IMO law school is no more difficult or time consuming than many jobs you can have, and (though I know little about your situation) I do think Columbia could provide some great opportunites for you and your family. Good luck.

slider

Postby slider » Wed May 05, 2010 12:46 pm

KMaine wrote:OP - Are you going to LS if you do not get into Columbia? I am a dad and did not apply to any schools in big cities except Columbia (fee waiver, Walitlisted and withdrew before they could reject me) :D . Mostly because of personal preference and cost of living. However, I think you can do it. IMO law school is no more difficult or time consuming than many jobs you can have, and (though I know little about your situation) I do think Columbia could provide some great opportunites for you and your family. Good luck.

This.

What other law schools are you considering?

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:33 pm

slider wrote:
KMaine wrote:OP - Are you going to LS if you do not get into Columbia? I am a dad and did not apply to any schools in big cities except Columbia (fee waiver, Walitlisted and withdrew before they could reject me) :D . Mostly because of personal preference and cost of living. However, I think you can do it. IMO law school is no more difficult or time consuming than many jobs you can have, and (though I know little about your situation) I do think Columbia could provide some great opportunites for you and your family. Good luck.

This.

I was accepted at Vanderbilt (I have put down my deposit, but they didn't give me a whole lot of money), Cornell (I withdrew because I can't do the location and they gave me no money), William & Mary (withdrew..not as highly ranked as Vandy and the location is isolating), I recently got off the waitlist at Iowa and it was indicated to me that I would receive a very large scholarship.

Right now, I am anticipating Vandy, even though I'm going ot have $200k in debt by the time I'm finished taking out loans in childcare. Iowa is a recent development and I'm waiting to see the scholarship money before I consider it. Honestly, I wouldn't got to CLS if the financial aid package didn't at least match Vandy. But if they give me more money and the COL loans I have to take out ends up with a net debt load of $200k, I think it would be foolish to not go right?

These are all very good suggestions by the way....I think hearing from other parents is helpful. I do think it makes more sense time management wise to keep close to CLS. I think I can find cheaper daycare though... my kids are 2.5 and 18 months, and my son HAS to have an in-home sitter. He has chronic lung disease and can't be in a daycare setting until a couple more years. I was thinking of finding a private person who I interviewed, did a background check, etc. They are cheaper than licensed daycare centers. From my experience in Los Angeles, I found people who would take $1200-1500/month for the 2 kids.

And I don't plan on "slacking off" at any school I attend.....perhaps instead of academic rigor I should have said "intensity. FOr example, Vandy is a top 20 school but the atmosphere is much more lax compared to other schools I attended. Less stressful I guess. But that doesn't mean the same amount of time or work isn't necessary.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 pm

krj02004 wrote:
slider wrote:

This.

I was accepted at Vanderbilt (I have put down my deposit, but they didn't give me a whole lot of money), Cornell (I withdrew because I can't do the location and they gave me no money), William & Mary (withdrew..not as highly ranked as Vandy and the location is isolating), I recently got off the waitlist at Iowa and it was indicated to me that I would receive a very large scholarship.

Right now, I am anticipating Vandy, even though I'm going ot have $200k in debt by the time I'm finished taking out loans in childcare. Iowa is a recent development and I'm waiting to see the scholarship money before I consider it. Honestly, I wouldn't got to CLS if the financial aid package didn't at least match Vandy. But if they give me more money and the COL loans I have to take out ends up with a net debt load of $200k, I think it would be foolish to not go right?

These are all very good suggestions by the way....I think hearing from other parents is helpful. I do think it makes more sense time management wise to keep close to CLS. I think I can find cheaper daycare though... my kids are 2.5 and 18 months, and my son HAS to have an in-home sitter. He has chronic lung disease and can't be in a daycare setting until a couple more years. I was thinking of finding a private person who I interviewed, did a background check, etc. They are cheaper than licensed daycare centers. From my experience in Los Angeles, I found people who would take $1200-1500/month for the 2 kids.

And I don't plan on "slacking off" at any school I attend.....perhaps instead of academic rigor I should have said "intensity. FOr example, Vandy is a top 20 school but the atmosphere is much more lax compared to other schools I attended. Less stressful I guess. But that doesn't mean the same amount of time or work isn't necessary.

With some cursory glances, I see that the bare minimum you should expect to pay in NYC for that would be $15-20 per hour. That's significantly more than you're expecting. You could, of course, go with an illegal alien...

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Yeah. I think that Vandy is a good choice. I may be willing to go a little higher with total cost of attendance at Columbia, because I think it will give you a little more breathing room in the job market. Of course, cost of living should be cheaper in TN (especially if you are a little out of Nashville).

I chose a small town because I have 2 school-age daughters who we needed to send to public school.

Though debt really sucks, I would be a little careful about Iowa, because it may tie you to the Midwest. Vandy seems more national, though it is one of the best schools for the South.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed May 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Yeah...I'm still gonna go with leave them with grandma.

Just because you're apart for three years doesn't mean that you're out of their lives completely. Just that you'll be in their lives less often. Both my parents worked 15 hours a day until I was 3 or something. I did fine.

NYC CoL means that for you three you'll spend about $5k a month, whether you live in Westchester, UWS/MH, Inwood, or Jersey. You could save by going to Queens/Brooklyn but you'll literally go insane because the commute will be well over an hour and a half (Brooklyn-Union Square is 40 minutes and Union Square-Columbia another 40 easily).

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed May 05, 2010 2:14 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:Yeah...I'm still gonna go with leave them with grandma.

Though this may be the right move for some, I don't think you are going to talk the OP out of keeping her kids with her. . . I imagine she has thought about it quite a bit.

Again, I do not know the OP, and I am not a single parent. But I am a parent, and I don't think she needs to make the choice between doing well in law school and being an everyday part of the lives of her children.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Just because you're apart for three years doesn't mean that you're out of their lives completely. Just that you'll be in their lives less often. Both my parents worked 15 hours a day until I was 3 or something. I did fine.

NYC CoL means that for you three you'll spend about $5k a month, whether you live in Westchester, UWS/MH, Inwood, or Jersey. You could save by going to Queens/Brooklyn but you'll literally go insane because the commute will be well over an hour and a half (Brooklyn-Union Square is 40 minutes and Union Square-Columbia another 40 easily).

Thanks for the input, however I think we should agree to disagree. We come from different perspectives obviously, where in my upbringing this just isn't acceptable to not be with your children. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, so please don't be offended. Just that for me and my family, this isn't an option. Also, I doubt raising toddlers would fit into my parent's afluent lifestyle in the Inner Harbor in B-more, haha.

But like I said before, I know I can balance school and family life. I did it during undergrad :).

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed May 05, 2010 2:17 pm

krj02004 wrote:

Thanks for the input, however I think we should agree to disagree. We come from different perspectives obviously, where in my upbringing this just isn't acceptable to not be with your children. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, so please don't be offended. Just that for me and my family, this isn't an option. Also, I doubt raising toddlers would fit into my parent's afluent lifestyle in the Inner Harbor in B-more, haha.

But like I said before, I know I can balance school and family life. I did it during undergrad :).

I'm not offended at all. I did fine as a child of absentee parenting but I also understand that some kids don't.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:20 pm

krj02004 wrote:Thanks for the input, however I think we should agree to disagree. We come from different perspectives obviously, where in my upbringing this just isn't acceptable to not be with your children. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, so please don't be offended. Just that for me and my family, this isn't an option. Also, I doubt raising toddlers would fit into my parent's afluent lifestyle in the Inner Harbor in B-more, haha.

Just out of curiosity, why is somewhere like GULC not an option? It seems like that would be ideal. DC/baltimore area has lower cost of living. You could stay with your kids most of the time, but would have help from friends family if you needed it (i.e., have the parents watch them during finals, etc).

I don't have kids and don't know your situation so take my question with a grain of salt, but it seems like you have the numbers for GULC and that might be the best option from a logistics standpoint.

Gunz353

Postby Gunz353 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:25 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Here's one example just north of Columbia, a very affordable and nice place by NYC standards.

Just go on Craigslist.com and search for apartments in Manhattan. You should select the Harlem/Morningside Heights area orUpper West Side if you want to be close to the campus.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed May 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Do NOT get a 3/1 with two kids. It'll be hell on earth. Get a (x)/2, even if you have to sacrifice a bedroom (when they grow up you'll probably want a something/3 but you're not there yet).

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:39 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
krj02004 wrote:Thanks for the input, however I think we should agree to disagree. We come from different perspectives obviously, where in my upbringing this just isn't acceptable to not be with your children. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, so please don't be offended. Just that for me and my family, this isn't an option. Also, I doubt raising toddlers would fit into my parent's afluent lifestyle in the Inner Harbor in B-more, haha.

Just out of curiosity, why is somewhere like GULC not an option? It seems like that would be ideal. DC/baltimore area has lower cost of living. You could stay with your kids most of the time, but would have help from friends family if you needed it (i.e., have the parents watch them during finals, etc).

I don't have kids and don't know your situation so take my question with a grain of salt, but it seems like you have the numbers for GULC and that might be the best option from a logistics standpoint.

That would have been nice if I had gotten in :). I was WL at GW but they don't have any siginificant financial aid left, so I withdrew from the WL.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Gunz353 wrote:--LinkRemoved--

Here's one example just north of Columbia, a very affordable and nice place by NYC standards.

Just go on Craigslist.com and search for apartments in Manhattan. You should select the Harlem/Morningside Heights area orUpper West Side if you want to be close to the campus.

Pretty sure that's a teaser listing. You can tell by the error in the google maps link.

Jerzeegirl

Postby Jerzeegirl » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Jerzeegirl wrote:I was a mom as an undergrad there. I highly recommend the Montessori school on 103rd and Central Park West. They are AMAZING. They take the kids to park nearly every day, they have trips to museums and the place is clean and well-maintained. You're also right around the corner if the kids get sick and need to be picked up early. I'm also a single mom about to start law school, and I'm also leaving my support system behind. My advice to you is take everything one day at a time. Try not to make yourself crazy and DO NOT CONSIDER COMMUTING. You need to keep everything close together. You lose precious study time running around to school, the daycare, and home. You will build a support system when you're there. You'll find that a lot of the other moms at your children's daycare are also single and struggling. We all helped one another out. Find yourself an apartment on Riverside in the low 100's. Its quieter there, there is also a nice park, and tons of families with small children. You can do this if you want to. It's going to be expensive and a struggle, but definitely doable. If I got into CLS I'd figure it out. I wouldn't pass up an opportunity like that. PM me if you have any questions.

And regarding COL, I had a beautiful studio for 1k a month. Not saying you'll find anything that cheap, but be willing to sacrifice space for the short term and you'll be able to get a decent spot for less than 3k. Not sure what kind of buildings some of these posters are talking about, but having lived in NYC for half my life, I'll eat my shoe if you can't find a studio for less than 2500. Holy cripes. Lots of single parents do the studio thing. Your kids are toddlers. One room is fine for the time being.

Most of the posters were talking multi-bedroom apartments, due to the having two children. One room is really NOT fine for many reasons, none of which I will elaborate on at the moment.

Hmmm. . . Well, as a single mom with not a lot of money, I managed living in a studio while finishing undergrad. There was a separate kitchen and bathroom, but the main living space was one room. Not sure if you have toddlers, but fyi they don't need much privacy and neither do you. I don't know why you insist one room is "NOT fine for many reasons". I had no choice, so I did it. The poster was stressing about finances, so as someone who has extensive personal experience in the matter, I was giving my two cents. And btw, a very small one bedroom is not that much more expensive than a studio, if you really want to make a big deal about having a closed door somewhere. I'd sacrifice the space to live in a more secure building with amenities, but to each their own. Daycare, a nanny or babysitter for two children is very expensive. I would rather spend more of my money to make sure my kids are well taken care of in my absence, and spend the little time we're all home in a small space, than the reverse.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Jerzeegirl wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
Jerzeegirl wrote:I was a mom as an undergrad there. I highly recommend the Montessori school on 103rd and Central Park West. They are AMAZING. They take the kids to park nearly every day, they have trips to museums and the place is clean and well-maintained. You're also right around the corner if the kids get sick and need to be picked up early. I'm also a single mom about to start law school, and I'm also leaving my support system behind. My advice to you is take everything one day at a time. Try not to make yourself crazy and DO NOT CONSIDER COMMUTING. You need to keep everything close together. You lose precious study time running around to school, the daycare, and home. You will build a support system when you're there. You'll find that a lot of the other moms at your children's daycare are also single and struggling. We all helped one another out. Find yourself an apartment on Riverside in the low 100's. Its quieter there, there is also a nice park, and tons of families with small children. You can do this if you want to. It's going to be expensive and a struggle, but definitely doable. If I got into CLS I'd figure it out. I wouldn't pass up an opportunity like that. PM me if you have any questions.

And regarding COL, I had a beautiful studio for 1k a month. Not saying you'll find anything that cheap, but be willing to sacrifice space for the short term and you'll be able to get a decent spot for less than 3k. Not sure what kind of buildings some of these posters are talking about, but having lived in NYC for half my life, I'll eat my shoe if you can't find a studio for less than 2500. Holy cripes. Lots of single parents do the studio thing. Your kids are toddlers. One room is fine for the time being.

Most of the posters were talking multi-bedroom apartments, due to the having two children. One room is really NOT fine for many reasons, none of which I will elaborate on at the moment.

Hmmm. . . Well, as a single mom with not a lot of money, I managed living in a studio while finishing undergrad. There was a separate kitchen and bathroom, but the main living space was one room. Not sure if you have toddlers, but fyi they don't need much privacy and neither do you. I don't know why you insist one room is "NOT fine for many reasons". I had no choice, so I did it. The poster was stressing about finances, so as someone who has extensive personal experience in the matter, I was giving my two cents. And btw, a very small one bedroom is not that much more expensive than a studio, if you really want to make a big deal about having a closed door somewhere. I'd sacrifice the space to live in a more secure building with amenities, but to each their own. Daycare, a nanny or babysitter for two children is very expensive. I would rather spend more of my money to make sure my kids are well taken care of in my absence, and spend the little time we're all home in a small space, than the reverse.

If I had one child I think I could do a studio or one bedroom, but with 2 of the opposite sex I just don't think that is possible. Besides I have to have a study area that is sepereate from where the kids sleep... they would never go to sleep if I was in the same room as them. Maybe it's just my kids though.... But a small 2 bedroom is do-able. I'm not looking for a high end place. Just an area that is very safe and family friendly. God, I had no idea NYC was THAT expensive.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed May 05, 2010 7:46 pm

krj02004 wrote:If I had one child I think I could do a studio or one bedroom, but with 2 of the opposite sex I just don't think that is possible. Besides I have to have a study area that is sepereate from where the kids sleep... they would never go to sleep if I was in the same room as them. Maybe it's just my kids though.... But a small 2 bedroom is do-able. I'm not looking for a high end place. Just an area that is very safe and family friendly. God, I had no idea NYC was THAT expensive.

I am with you on the need for a bedroom. It would be literally impossible for me to live in a studio with my kiddo. When we travel and sleep in the same hotel room, I don't sleep at all. I have to lay completely, perfectly still at all times, or she'll stand up in the crib and stare at me like it's time to play.

In your situation, a full-time nanny would be the way to go, and not tremendously more expensive than daycare+ occasional babysitter. But NYC is that expensive. You get desensitized to it pretty quick, though. I can barely remember the good old days when I had a 2000 sq ft house with a big yard for less that $1500/mo.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:28 am

Jerzeegirl wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

Will they still be toddlers in 3 1/2 years?

To paraphrase Chris Rock, "Sure, it CAN be done. But that doesn't mean you should do it."

memaha

Postby memaha » Thu May 06, 2010 10:06 am

krj02004 wrote: These are all very good suggestions by the way....I think hearing from other parents is helpful. I do think it makes more sense time management wise to keep close to CLS. I think I can find cheaper daycare though... my kids are 2.5 and 18 months, and my son HAS to have an in-home sitter. He has chronic lung disease and can't be in a daycare setting until a couple more years. I was thinking of finding a private person who I interviewed, did a background check, etc. They are cheaper than licensed daycare centers. From my experience in Los Angeles, I found people who would take $1200-1500/month for the 2 kids.

How many hours per week are you expecting to need a babysitter? Unless you are just looking for someone to be there 12-15 hours a week, that $1200-1500 is way too low, IMO.
I used to babysit in NYC when I was studying at NYU for undergrad and a bunch of my classmates did as well. I was paid $15/hour for a 1 year old, $15/hour for a 6 year old, and $18/hour for 11 year old twins (normally I was just with one at a time though). I have a friend who gets $20/hour watching a 4 year old girl, another- $15/hour with a 8 year old, and another- with $28/hour with a 2 year old, 6 year old, and 11 year old. It seems like you are looking for someone who is more qualified and probably older than us, which means they would charge a higher rate... Babysitters expect a lot more per hour in NYC.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 am

Good luck to the OP on getting off the waitlist and hope he goes next year!

With a few exceptions, there's a lot of mediocre to terrible advice on this thread, and in the interests of the OP and other people with families thinking of applying to and attending Columbia who run across this in the future, I figured I'd chip in.

1. Morningside Heights is a safe and family-friendly area. There are lots of young families here, many of them belonging to grad students and post-docs on a tight budget for living expenses. One thing that helps with costs is that you don't need a car here, since child care, preschools, playgrounds, parks, medical care, etc. are all within a few blocks. For the occasional heavy shopping load at Fairway or Costco, cabs are fine. Many of the buildings are owned by Columbia for renting out to students, visiting faculty, etc at pretty competitive rates (of course, it's still New York, but if you come in expecting what some people apparently do, you'll be pleasantly surprised). In the current market, it's probably worth checking out private options may be better values. There are still some independent buildings, mostly on Riverside and Northwest of the campus.

2. The area of Harlem across Morningside Park also has a lot of young families and infrastructure for that. It's not quite as safe at night, and you'll see guys hanging out on street corners, etc. Depending on how far you go from campus, it can be an awkward commute & it may be harder to get by without a car for errands, and most people who live there don't have one anyway and do fine. It's just more of an adjustment.

3. Inwood is an area where a lot of young families bought when prices were rising. I think the rental rates are a little inflated for being farther out from the city, but it's not inconvenient for Columbia, maybe a 15-20 minute trip.

4. Columbia owns a new building in Riverdale called the Arbors that has modern facilities that are good for families. It's a lot farther out, though they operate a free shuttle and you can still go to evening classes, events, etc. The price is reasonable and if you actually want it, availability is good since they have a tough time persuading people to live that far away from the city.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:58 am

memaha wrote:
krj02004 wrote: These are all very good suggestions by the way....I think hearing from other parents is helpful. I do think it makes more sense time management wise to keep close to CLS. I think I can find cheaper daycare though... my kids are 2.5 and 18 months, and my son HAS to have an in-home sitter. He has chronic lung disease and can't be in a daycare setting until a couple more years. I was thinking of finding a private person who I interviewed, did a background check, etc. They are cheaper than licensed daycare centers. From my experience in Los Angeles, I found people who would take $1200-1500/month for the 2 kids.

How many hours per week are you expecting to need a babysitter? Unless you are just looking for someone to be there 12-15 hours a week, that $1200-1500 is way too low, IMO.
I used to babysit in NYC when I was studying at NYU for undergrad and a bunch of my classmates did as well. I was paid $15/hour for a 1 year old, $15/hour for a 6 year old, and $18/hour for 11 year old twins (normally I was just with one at a time though). I have a friend who gets $20/hour watching a 4 year old girl, another- $15/hour with a 8 year old, and another- with $28/hour with a 2 year old, 6 year old, and 11 year old. It seems like you are looking for someone who is more qualified and probably older than us, which means they would charge a higher rate... Babysitters expect a lot more per hour in NYC.

WOW.... that would NEVER happen in Cali or Baltimore... you would never find a babysitting job paying that high as a college student. Hmmm... a lot to think about. But I do know people who have babysat in NYC and made much less. I guess it depends on the person. Then again, these were stay at home moms looking to make a little extra money and have playmates for their kids. I think I owuld go that route over a student.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu May 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Memaha may have been charging an Upper East Sider with enough money that cost was no object. I suspect it is not difficult to find cheaper babysitting, although $1200-$1500 is probably still the lowest end of what you'd pay.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu May 06, 2010 5:06 pm

I pay my babysitter $10/hr (plus a little extra for cab fare, etc., if I keep her really late), but, yeah, any less than $1500/mo for two kids is probably too optimistic, and even that number is likely too low.

thrillhouse

Postby thrillhouse » Thu May 06, 2010 8:14 pm

I am a single parent (though not for much longer!) and am finishing my first year at CLS. It is doable. My commute in from Central Jersey is about 2.5 hours and the ride home is at least that long and can be 3.5 hours if I miss certain trains.

You can live near Columbia for reasonably cheap (for NYC) with CLS housing. You might, instead, live in Jersey City, which is a GREAT little city and much cheaper than NYC. That'd make your commute 30-40 minutes each way.

I think you've settled it, but absolutely do not leave your kids behind. I can't believe that was advice that was even given.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:09 pm

If you're worried about costs, well, it's going to be ridiculously expensive. I have *no* idea what kind of grants may be available to single parents, or other help you might have, but I think with your stated needs, in NYC, you're looking at at least 60K per year in living expenses. EVERYTHING costs more. If you can avoid having a car in NYC, do so. I park WAY up in washington heights, and have to take the subway 4 stops to get to my car every morning to reverse-commute. All this so I can afford $175/mo for parking, rather than the $300 it would be to park near my (still washington heights) apartment. Sure, you have the insane rent. That's a given. Then you have the insane food costs. Non-food is taxed a ridiculous amount. And if you want cheap takeout, well, it's still more expensive than other parts of the country. Child care is WAY more expensive. Electricity is more expensive. It's louder here. Oh, and you'll have to spend a chunk of money on the subway.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”