USC or Georgetown for SF biglaw Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which is better for SF big law?

USC
53%
Georgetown
47%

Total votes: 87

shmoo597

Bronze

USC or Georgetown for SF biglaw

Post by shmoo597 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Straightforward. Which places better in the bay area?

DerrickRose

Silver

Re: USC or Georgetown for SF biglaw

Post by DerrickRose » Tue May 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Close call. Probably USC.

But your full ride at Hastings beckons.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue May 04, 2010 9:26 pm

shmoo597 wrote:Straightforward. Which places better in the bay area?
http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

surprisingly, GULC it is

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 pm

General Tso wrote:
shmoo597 wrote:Straightforward. Which places better in the bay area?
http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

surprisingly, GULC it is

...Wow. That is an amazing website.

papercranes

New

Post by papercranes » Tue May 04, 2010 9:47 pm

I don't know about this. I mean, Gtown has nearly three times the amount of students per year. I don't think this necessarily shows GULC > USC for SF

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue May 04, 2010 10:11 pm

papercranes wrote:I don't know about this. I mean, Gtown has nearly three times the amount of students per year. I don't think this necessarily shows GULC > USC for SF
GULC also has about 10-12% of its students going to CA each year, while 85-90% of USC grads stay in the state (most in SoCal obviously, but I'll bet a hefty percentage to SF as well). These numbers clearly show GULC's dominance over USC in SF, IMO.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Tue May 04, 2010 10:34 pm

im_blue wrote:
papercranes wrote:I don't know about this. I mean, Gtown has nearly three times the amount of students per year. I don't think this necessarily shows GULC > USC for SF
GULC also has about 10-12% of its students going to CA each year, while 85-90% of USC grads stay in the state (most in SoCal obviously, but I'll bet a hefty percentage to SF as well). These numbers clearly show GULC's dominance over USC in SF, IMO.
You've just said that USC likely places a larger percentage of its graduates in San Francisco than GULC does, but you feel that GULC places better in the region? I took statistics many years ago, so someone will have to explain this logic to me.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 10:40 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
im_blue wrote:
You've just said that USC likely places a larger percentage of its graduates in San Francisco than GULC does, but you feel that GULC places better in the region? I took statistics many years ago, so someone will have to explain this logic to me.
Ummm...

sheer volume ≠ quality?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue May 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
im_blue wrote:
that guy's working under the assumption that since only 10% of GULC students even go to CA (around 60 students) and 90% of USC stay in CA (around 180 students)... that it's really 60 vs 180 in SF, and so GULC really shouldn't have anywhere near the same number of students as USC if USC was equally good.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Wed May 05, 2010 2:30 am

Borhas wrote:that guy's working under the assumption that since only 10% of GULC students even go to CA (around 60 students) and 90% of USC stay in CA (around 180 students)... that it's really 60 vs 180 in SF, and so GULC really shouldn't have anywhere near the same number of students as USC if USC was equally good.
And of course assuming that everyone who wants to practice in CA wants to practice is SF is incorrect.

I think USC grads generally stay in SoCal, especially LA and Orange County. But without knowing how many SC or GULC students target SF, you can't say which school places better. You can only say that GULC has twice as many alumni in SF compared to SC.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:50 am

That website is fun to look at (who knew that GW was one of the top-30 schools in Sacramento?) but shouldn't be relied upon detrimentally: If I just used that data, I'd be led to believe that attending unaccredited Lincoln Law School is a likelier path to a job in Sacramento than attending Stanford.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed May 05, 2010 7:02 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:That website is fun to look at (who knew that GW was one of the top-30 schools in Sacramento?) but shouldn't be relied upon detrimentally: If I just used that data, I'd be led to believe that attending unaccredited Lincoln Law School is a likelier path to a job in Sacramento than attending Stanford.
TLS Exile what happened?

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Wed May 05, 2010 7:22 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:That website is fun to look at (who knew that GW was one of the top-30 schools in Sacramento?) but shouldn't be relied upon detrimentally: If I just used that data, I'd be led to believe that attending unaccredited Lincoln Law School is a likelier path to a job in Sacramento than attending Stanford.
That is an interesting website. I wish they had that for all cities!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Wed May 05, 2010 6:37 pm

GULC is national enough to get you to Cali.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri May 07, 2010 1:34 am

That's a great point, but we'd probably expect that to apply in reverse to the current matchup.

If GULC had ~150 attorneys in SF and USC had ~360, we'd say "yeah, but Georgetown self selects for DC and NYC." It would be an argument for why Georgetown is equal to or better than USC despite lower numbers. But the fact that Georgetown is over double USC's number probably tells us that it's a pretty decent option for SF.

Even though USC is like ten times closer to SF, and is in the same state (so the same bar exam) Georgetown is still better represented.

UnclaimedGas

New

Post by UnclaimedGas » Fri May 07, 2010 2:02 am

do USC grads just love SoCal love so much that they dont even bother considering other areas? i am a little surprised that USC is not represented well in SF

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri May 07, 2010 9:11 pm

UnclaimedGas wrote:do USC grads just love SoCal love so much that they dont even bother considering other areas? i am a little surprised that USC is not represented well in SF
Well 2 things. 1) Hastings and USC used to be peer schools (15+ years ago) so many older lawyers who wanted SF wouldn't have chosen USC. 2) LA's legal market is MUCH bigger than SF. LA is either the 2nd or 3rd largest market in terms of NLJ250 firms, whereas SF is #8 on the list.

Plus, USC is noted for the strength of its alumni network, and if most of them are in LA, there's not that much reason to leave.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UnclaimedGas

New

Post by UnclaimedGas » Sun May 09, 2010 1:44 am

General Tso wrote:
UnclaimedGas wrote:do USC grads just love SoCal love so much that they dont even bother considering other areas? i am a little surprised that USC is not represented well in SF
Well 2 things. 1) Hastings and USC used to be peer schools (15+ years ago) so many older lawyers who wanted SF wouldn't have chosen USC. 2) LA's legal market is MUCH bigger than SF. LA is either the 2nd or 3rd largest market in terms of NLJ250 firms, whereas SF is #8 on the list.

Plus, USC is noted for the strength of its alumni network, and if most of them are in LA, there's not that much reason to leave.
ic. so from reason #1, it would be fair to say that the current marketability of USC grads in SF is underestimated in those stats?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sun May 09, 2010 1:46 am

UnclaimedGas wrote:
General Tso wrote:

ic. so from reason #1, it would be fair to say that the current marketability of USC grads in SF is underestimated in those stats?
I'd probably say so. But if OP is looking at GULC sticker vs. USC sticker then GULC is probably still the the right choice.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sun May 09, 2010 9:57 am

General Tso wrote:

Is LA really the second biggest for NLJ 250? I thought NYC, DC, and Chicago were all bigger than LA?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sun May 09, 2010 2:14 pm

I am pretty sure LA is bigger than Chicago but maybe not DC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawapps0502

Bronze

Post by lawapps0502 » Sun May 09, 2010 2:22 pm

In this economy, it is probably better to go to school in california is you want to work in SF...that way you can travel more easily to interviews etc.

thewolfandpeter

New

Post by thewolfandpeter » Sun May 09, 2010 2:32 pm

definitely georgetown....its difficult to accurately measure how regional a law school usc truly is....until you check out those statistics

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sun May 09, 2010 6:26 pm

General Tso wrote:I am pretty sure LA is bigger than Chicago but maybe not DC.
I don't think so...I'm pretty sure the 3 biggest markets are NYC, DC, and Chicago...in that order. Then LA.

Anyway, I'd go to Georgetown, although good luck getting SF biglaw ITE.

Informative

Bronze

Post by Informative » Tue May 11, 2010 5:26 pm

GULC is very national and will have connections at all of the NorCal firms. USC will have just as many, but it doesn't carry the cache or prestige that GULC has. I'd take the prestige over a school better known for football than academics.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”