Best chance at Biglaw

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
concerned1

Best chance at Biglaw

Postby concerned1 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:50 pm

Location is not all that important to me. What is important is paying off student loans as fast as possible. My choices are Fordham, Emory, GW, and WashU. Which one will best enable me to get a Biglaw job in each respective market. I think the information most important to this question is what type of placement is there at these schools for graduates not in the top 10% which is more likely where i will find myself.

DerrickRose

Re: Best chance at Biglaw

Postby DerrickRose » Tue May 04, 2010 8:54 pm

If you want to gamble on the economic recovery, specifically in New York: Fordham
If you want to consider all the schools based on their current NLJ250 placement power: GW
If you want a possible backstop of secondary-market, not-quite-biglaw: Emory
If you want the most widely spread national chances: WUSTL
If you only want BigLaw and you would be unhappy with anything else, Retake/Reapply

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 10:51 pm

It's all about the same. If you're not top 35% or so at any of those schools and you're paying sticker, you're pretty much up shit creek without a paddle. It may be worse ITE. If you don't plan on being in that top third or so, pick the one in the city you'd most like to work. GW probably has slightly better placement than the others, but cost of living in DC is $$$$$ (you could be looking at an extra $15-20K in loans from GW just for living expenses over three years; same thing goes for Fordham).

concerned1

Postby concerned1 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:01 pm

So far there are great replies. What do you mean by secondary market not-quite-biglaw???

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue May 04, 2010 11:28 pm

concerned1 wrote:So far there are great replies. What do you mean by secondary market not-quite-biglaw???

Well, you go to Birmingham, AL or Charleston, SC or Charlotte, NC or whatever, you're going to find a good handful of firms that recruit at Emory that have starting salaries around 80-100k. This isn't BigLaw per se, but its still a heck of a job. Now, there aren't a lot of these, but Emory being near quite a few mid-size cities helps.

At Fordham it's super-massive or bust.

concerned1

Postby concerned1 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 pm

wow. I did not know that about Fordham. So tell me, what about GW and WUSTL, are these also biglaw or bust?

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue May 04, 2010 11:36 pm

concerned1 wrote:wow. I did not know that about Fordham. So tell me, what about GW and WUSTL, are these also biglaw or bust?

Well, its probably excessive to say "or bust". But generally speaking, proximity to medium-sized American cities is where you're going to look for so-called "Midlaw"

Look in the NALP Directory if you want specific information rather than just my blathering.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 11:40 pm

concerned1 wrote:wow. I did not know that about Fordham. So tell me, what about GW and WUSTL, are these also biglaw or bust?

Everything's more or less biglaw or bust when you're talking about paying full tuition at law school today. Midlaw jobs make up maybe ~5% of the class at most. There's plenty of stuff out there worth doing other than biglaw, but nothing that will pay back your massive school loans. Tuition has skyrocketed, biglaw salaries have skyrocketed, but for ~[strike]75[/strike]85% of law school graduates who don't get biglaw (more like [strike]85[/strike]90% ITE), starting salaries have largely remained flat.

Did you get any scholarships at all from the above schools?
Last edited by JCougar on Tue May 04, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:42 pm

JCougar wrote:

Everything's more or less biglaw or bust when you're talking about paying full tuition at law school today. Midlaw jobs make up maybe ~5% of the class at most. There's plenty of stuff out there worth doing other than biglaw, but nothing that will pay back your massive school loans. Tuition has skyrocketed, biglaw salaries have skyrocketed, but for ~75% of law school graduates who don't get biglaw (more like 85% ITE), starting salaries have largely remained flat.

Fact: just over 10% of grads got biglaw in the boom days

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 11:44 pm

disco_barred wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Everything's more or less biglaw or bust when you're talking about paying full tuition at law school today. Midlaw jobs make up maybe ~5% of the class at most. There's plenty of stuff out there worth doing other than biglaw, but nothing that will pay back your massive school loans. Tuition has skyrocketed, biglaw salaries have skyrocketed, but for ~75% of law school graduates who don't get biglaw (more like 85% ITE), starting salaries have largely remained flat.

Yes, you are right, I was too generous.

concerned1

Postby concerned1 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:48 pm

no scholarships at any of these pier schools. Maybe it would be wiser to take scholly at state schools then? i.e. rutgers.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 04, 2010 11:50 pm

concerned1 wrote:no scholarships at any of these pier schools. Maybe it would be wiser to take scholly at state schools then? i.e. rutgers.

FWIW, I wouldn't pay sticker anywhere below the T14, except for maybe the 15-18 schools if I was sure I wanted to practice in that region (UCLA, USC for LA, Texas, Vanderbilt for the South).

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed May 05, 2010 12:55 am

disco_barred wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Disco, is this an all inclusive average? I'm not certain the ratio of market paying jobs to total law school graduates in the 2006-2008 period, but that certainly is plausible, given the number of schools that only sent a tiny handful of grads into biglaw during the boom.

And re: Fordham: Many grads work in mid sized to smaller firms in New Jersey and elsewhere in the tri-state area. Some of these firms pay better than others, but outside of biglaw, most people will rely on IBR to service their loans. Despite the cost, I am happy with my choice. I love the school and I've had many opportunities here.

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Wed May 05, 2010 3:21 am

DerrickRose wrote:
concerned1 wrote:So far there are great replies. What do you mean by secondary market not-quite-biglaw???

Well, you go to Birmingham, AL or Charleston, SC or Charlotte, NC or whatever, you're going to find a good handful of firms that recruit at Emory that have starting salaries around 80-100k. This isn't BigLaw per se, but its still a heck of a job. Now, there aren't a lot of these, but Emory being near quite a few mid-size cities helps.

At Fordham it's super-massive or bust.

There are firms in Birmingham that pay more than 80-100k.

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:37 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Disco, is this an all inclusive average? I'm not certain the ratio of market paying jobs to total law school graduates in the 2006-2008 period, but that certainly is plausible, given the number of schools that only sent a tiny handful of grads into biglaw during the boom.

Yup. There are something like ~5K 6 figure NLJ 250 jobs available to new grads, if I remember the math correctly (with roughly 1/2 of those going to T14 students).

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed May 05, 2010 9:56 am

disco_barred wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Disco, is this an all inclusive average? I'm not certain the ratio of market paying jobs to total law school graduates in the 2006-2008 period, but that certainly is plausible, given the number of schools that only sent a tiny handful of grads into biglaw during the boom.

Yup. There are something like ~5K 6 figure NLJ 250 jobs available to new grads, if I remember the math correctly (with roughly 1/2 of those going to T14 students).

I thought so. We hear rumors about the proportion in which the reduction has been carried out. I don't know if I even want to see aggregate data from the class of 2011. CLS made theirs available, and that was depressing enough! I will share what I can find out, and as NYC recovers relative to other cities, I expect the news will cease to be altogether bleak. We hit 43.7% in the NLJ250 at the peak of hiring, so there is ample goodwill toward the school when firms are ready to increase class size. Timing the turnaround is going to be interesting... I hope it isn't foolish to hope for my own classmates.

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:00 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

I thought so. We hear rumors about the proportion in which the reduction has been carried out. I don't know if I even want to see aggregate data from the class of 2011. CLS made theirs available, and that was depressing enough! I will share what I can find out, and as NYC recovers relative to other cities, I expect the news will cease to be altogether bleak. We hit 43.7% in the NLJ250 at the peak of hiring, so there is ample goodwill toward the school when firms are ready to increase class size. Timing the turnaround is going to be interesting... I hope it isn't foolish to hope for my own classmates.

Hope is never foolish. 3L OCI, international law, entry level big law after graduation, and a pile of other things we deride as 'fake' on this website still exist, and if you happen to be the person who gets it then hooray. That being said, the tea leaves suggest that there's basically zero 'big law hope' for those who struck out in c/o 2011 and 2010 as a group. Plenty of hope in the rest of the legal field and life, but not really for big law.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed May 05, 2010 10:23 am

disco_barred wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Hope is never foolish. 3L OCI, international law, entry level big law after graduation, and a pile of other things we deride as 'fake' on this website still exist, and if you happen to be the person who gets it then hooray. That being said, the tea leaves suggest that there's basically zero 'big law hope' for those who struck out in c/o 2011 and 2010 as a group. Plenty of hope in the rest of the legal field and life, but not really for big law.

You've been reading that Kimm Alayne Walton book (The Guerilla Guide)again, haven't you? Did you like it? She seems to think the rules can be broken. :D I won't ignore the base rate, though I've certainly been luckier than I merit (outside of the biglaw framework-- OCI is still such an unknown.)

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed May 05, 2010 10:30 am

concerned1 wrote:Location is not all that important to me. What is important is paying off student loans as fast as possible. My choices are Fordham, Emory, GW, and WashU. Which one will best enable me to get a Biglaw job in each respective market. I think the information most important to this question is what type of placement is there at these schools for graduates not in the top 10% which is more likely where i will find myself.
i think GW would give you the best chance at getting a big law job, but Wustl would be the safest pick b/c if you weren't in the top 1/3 of the class you could more easily find a 40k-50k job i where the cost of living would be so high, allowing your debt to be more manageable. atlanta would be just as cheap as the midwest, but wustl would give you a better chance at biglaw than emory would.

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:23 am

OperaSoprano wrote:You've been reading that Kimm Alayne Walton book (The Guerilla Guide)again, haven't you? Did you like it? She seems to think the rules can be broken. :D I won't ignore the base rate, though I've certainly been luckier than I merit (outside of the biglaw framework-- OCI is still such an unknown.)

haha, at least taking it to heart. But if everyone could break the rules, nobody would have to. I kind of feel the same way about the law school curve and exam advice. Individual people can do well, but it's not like the first year class at Northwestern this year will work so well together their professors will be shocked to find they all got As :P No matter how we try, the advice from TLS doesn't really don't beat or even fight back at the system, it just redistributes it.

There will be winners and losers. You just have to focus on your own path.

GermX

Postby GermX » Wed May 05, 2010 12:47 pm

could more easily find a 40k-50k job

I think a sentence like this should motivate everyone to study their asses off. Seriously, imagine graduating as a lawyer from a T-20 or T-30 and making only 40k once you're out. I would hang myself. What the fuck is the point. It would take you over a decade just to pay back your loan (with interest, considering living expenses etc...) and you would be living like a shit turd doing a job for a salary that you could have gotten with your Bachelor's degree.

Scary.

concerned1

Postby concerned1 » Sun May 09, 2010 2:31 am

agreed. going to school for years just to make 50k is ridiculous.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”