Should I apply to McGeorge?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vijemi

Should I apply to McGeorge?

Postby vijemi » Tue May 04, 2010 5:07 pm

I've been hounded by Emails from McGeorge the past 2 months to apply, their emails have been very flattering mentioning how I'd be perfect candidate and I'm exactly what they are looking for, they are waiving the app fee and basically seems like they are guaranteeing me scholarship money. I live in SoCal and right now my only other viable option is Case Western w/ 20k/yr (renewable w/ 3.15 GPA).

Is it possible that McGeorge would give me a full ride? If they did should I take it? Ideally I'd like to end up back in SoCal (L.A., S.D. or anything inbetween) but I would not be adverse to living elsewhere for a few years and moving back or even staying in the new city. McGeorge seems fairly limited to Sacramento, but Case seems more portable, is the difference in price worth the portability of the degree?

I know this is a loaded question so any advice you all have is much appreciated.

NU_Jet55

Re: Should I apply to McGeorge?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:12 pm

No.

/thread

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue May 04, 2010 5:14 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:No.

/thread
kind of. retake lsat and reapply. Case will not travel well to California. McGeorge will not do well period. Reapply and go to Davis, Hastings, or Pepperdine.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:15 pm

holydonkey wrote:

/thread
kind of. retake lsat and reapply. Case will not travel well to California. McGeorge will not do well period. Reapply and go to Davis, Hastings, or Pepperdine.

It's a waste, even with a fee waiver.

Postby 20160810 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:19 pm

holydonkey wrote:

/thread
kind of. retake lsat and reapply. Case will not travel well to California. McGeorge will not do well period. Reapply and go to Davis, Hastings, [strike]or Pepperdine[/strike].

Ffty.

OP, let's put it this way: I also applied to McGeorge, because I want to work in Sacramento. But even with a full ride, I wouldn't have attended. They are honestly just a really bad law school. Go to Davis if you want to work in the area.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue May 04, 2010 5:28 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

vijemi

Postby vijemi » Tue May 04, 2010 5:35 pm

OK, that's what I thought. I'm still waiting on responses from Loyola, Davis & ASU, but if I don't get into any of them I think I'd be content with going to Case and living in the midwest.

Retaking isn't really an option for me as I have taken the LSAT 3x and maxed out at 165 (its my GPA that held me down) I just didn't know anything about McGeorge so I figured I'd ask since they were pushing so hard. Thanks for the responses.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue May 04, 2010 5:41 pm

I applied with a fee waiver and almost finagled a free trip to Vegas to dovetail with their ASW (It was a pretty MacGuyver-ish plan for getting from Sac'to to Vegas) for which they were offering travel reimbursements. Sadly I was otherwise engaged that weekend.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue May 04, 2010 7:51 pm

I applied there, got some non-trivial $. It's pretty limited to Sac.

It's not that cheap. And the two biggest Sac firms only pay $100k starting.

scuzle

Postby scuzle » Thu May 06, 2010 4:36 pm

NayBoer wrote:I applied there, got some non-trivial $. It's pretty limited to Sac.

It's not that cheap. And the two biggest Sac firms only pay $100k starting.

Yes, but you have to look at cost of living. !00k in sac is comparable to 120-150k in San Francisco. McGeorge is a good school like any sub 50 law school. They are all reigonal! They, as a general rule service their reigon or city, and place the top 10% of their class in presitgious firms, just like USD, Loyola, Pepperdine (Maybe not them as much), USF, Santa Clara. It also largely depends on where you want to do. They are ranked 5th in Trial Advocacy (litigation) and 15th in International law. The longest tenured professor at the school is Justice Kennedy, who takes a group of students every year to Austria to learn about international law. So if you have those interests your well advised to keep them in mind. To write off McGeorge as a bad school is the right thing to do. It is like any school in Tier 2, which mean it depends on the STUDENT to do well to succeed afterward. Those of you who say its not good where are going going and what are you doing? You might very well be going to a T50 and place in the bottom quarter to 10% and get beaten out by students from the very school you are bagging. I will be attending there and I think that if you look at the majority of the Sac Firms who pull from McGeorge, you will be pleasantly surprised to see that they have a track record of placing their students. Lets say I place in the 10%, would I consider xfering, yes absolutely, but it doesnt change my view of the school. To say the least apply! Why not its free?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri May 07, 2010 12:58 am

Although obviously Sacramento has better COL than SF (especially in housing), the entire state of California has pretty bad COL compared to other places. And unfortunately the tuition is pretty comparable to higher ranked schools. When you adjust for the job prospects and the pay, it's probably overpriced for most people. And the job market is pretty bad there.

I applied to McGeorge, so I'm not just out to trash it. But nobody should go who isn't willing to work in Sacramento. Downey Brand is the biggest firm, and NALP says it's taking seven 2L SAs, down from 12 in 2008. McDonough Holland & Allen is the second biggest and is supposedly taking no SAs this year, but it took five in 2008. And with the economy what it is, the ten firms NALP lists for Sacramento only have fifteen 2L summer spots for all the students who are trying to work in Sacramento. This includes not just McGeorge and Davis, but also Hastings, Boalt, and others.

I worked for one those big Sacramento firms and when they took on SAs they were from Davis, Boalt and I believe Hastings. So no McGeorge kids. This was 2007, just before the peak of the boom. If people from Berkeley and Davis were looking to work there even in the good times, then what do you think the competition is like now?

Also, be careful about relying on the specialty rankings. They usually don't translate into better job prospects.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Fri May 07, 2010 2:00 am

If you absolutely want to work in that market and they offer you a full ride, it might not be the worst option, but let's face it, they're barely T2, which is you'd-better-be-getting-nervous territory. Case is fairly portable (for a T2) but not especially to SoCal, there are some CWRU people in LA but not many recent grads. I'm going to Case, but Cleveland is my first backup option if I don't land a government/clerkship gig. If I somehow nail BigLaw outside of Ohio (or inside, I don't care), that's super - not counting on it. There are a surprising number of Cali folks in the incoming class, though, maybe you could chat with them in the facebook group. I think you are overestimating (esp. ITE) the portability of Case to Cali, at least in regards to BigLaw/MidLaw/Non-Shitlaw firm jobs. If you want to do PI/Public Int'l law, Case is fine. If you're top 5-10%, you're also fine, but that applies almost anywhere.

Comparing them on Martindale - there's a lot of recent McGeorge grads in okay jobs. There are a handful of recent Case grads. You'll get a solid education at Case and COL is comparably low. Go ahead and apply and compare after you have an offer. Don't pay an app fee, obviously...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”