Question about reapplying next year... all help appreciated.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
unbrokenchain

Question about reapplying next year... all help appreciated.

Postby unbrokenchain » Tue May 04, 2010 12:18 am

I got offers of 20k a year to Kent and 15k a year at DePaul but have decided to take a year, work, try to get my lsat score up, and get into U of Illinois (I was rejected this year with my 161 lsat). I have three questions...

1. Since I'm going to end up not taking either of their offers... if I work, and get an equal or more likely at least a bit better, if not much better lsat, and reapply... will they (Kent and DePaul) probably let me in with the same or more money? or are law schools vindictive and they'd be all "no, you should have taken the money the first time, go fuck yourself!" ?

2. I was considering applying early decision to U of I because it's definitely where I want to go and realistically the best I school I could make my way in to... but does Early Decision REALLY increase my chances of admission? If so how much? And most importantly... does applying early decision pretty much exclude me from financial aid because they know they have me?

3. When reapplying next year, do I have to get all new letters of recommendation and write a totally new personal statement?

blurbz

Re: Question about reapplying next year... all help appreciated.

Postby blurbz » Tue May 04, 2010 12:26 am

unbrokenchain wrote:I got offers of 20k a year to Kent and 15k a year at DePaul but have decided to take a year, work, try to get my lsat score up, and get into U of Illinois (I was rejected this year with my 161 lsat). I have three questions...

1. Since I'm going to end up not taking either of their offers... if I work, and get an equal or more likely at least a bit better, if not much better lsat, and reapply... will they (Kent and DePaul) probably let me in with the same or more money? or are law schools vindictive and they'd be all "no, you should have taken the money the first time, go fuck yourself!" ?

2. I was considering applying early decision to U of I because it's definitely where I want to go and realistically the best I school I could make my way in to... but does Early Decision REALLY increase my chances of admission? If so how much? And most importantly... does applying early decision pretty much exclude me from financial aid because they know they have me?

3. When reapplying next year, do I have to get all new letters of recommendation and write a totally new personal statement?

Let me preface my answers by saying that, other than reading this board and applying to most of these schools, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

1. From everything I've seen, schools are rarely, if ever, vindictive about people taking a year off. Conventional wisdom might suggest that you write an addendum to your application at these schools next year explicitly discussing what you did during your gap year and how it made your more certain that you would enjoy, and succeed at, law school.

2. I did not apply early, but I applied to U of I (and will be there next year) so I've read most Illinois-related threads here. It seems that Pless, in addition to wanting well-rounded candidates, wants to admit people who want Illinois. Applying early decision is the best way to signify that--but it's risky, as you point out. Why not wait and see what your new LSAT is? If it's a few points higher, apply on day one, visit, and write the optional "Why Illinois?" essay.

3. I don't think anything is explicitly required. If you're fresh out of undergrad and you take a year off to travel, you may not have made new connections with people qualified to write a letter of recommendation. Even if you take a year to work, you may not have time to make those connections. I think, then, that when it comes to LORs, you can probably re-use your current ones. I would hope, though, that whatever you end up doing this year would give you some new material for your PS. Even if you keep your core PS, if you can use what you do this year to demonstrate that you've gained a new perspective or have continued to grow and mature, I think you'd be in a good position.

Good luck!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”