BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

BU$$$
46
55%
GULC
13
16%
NU (but sick of Chicago)
24
29%
 
Total votes: 83

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:18 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Boston in unbelievably cheaper than DC - I lived there for 2 years, it was rough. I have no idea in comparison to Chicago though so I can't comment on that.

I live in a 3bdrm 1 bath across the street from the T in a fun-ish area for 650$ a month and I'm pretty sure I'm getting ripped off.
$650? "Fun-ish area" clearly means either gentrifying crack neighborhood or recently rezoned toxic sewage plant.


LOL I'm considering a funish area in Cabrini Green.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue May 04, 2010 12:19 pm

I'd say suck it up and to go NU, but it looks like you've made up your mind already. Law school is only three years. Your alumni base is forever.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby NayBoer » Tue May 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Boston in unbelievably cheaper than DC - I lived there for 2 years, it was rough. I have no idea in comparison to Chicago though so I can't comment on that.

I live in a 3bdrm 1 bath across the street from the T in a fun-ish area for 650$ a month and I'm pretty sure I'm getting ripped off.
$650? "Fun-ish area" clearly means either gentrifying crack neighborhood or recently rezoned toxic sewage plant.


LOL I'm considering a funish area in Cabrini Green.
dino-mite! Just remember not to wear any jewelry or bright clothing.

I checked the bus lines, and it looks like not a lot of bus lines go through there, at least none near that rezoned-project HGL wants to live in. Have to walk like 6-8 blocks to get to a bus.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:28 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Boston in unbelievably cheaper than DC - I lived there for 2 years, it was rough. I have no idea in comparison to Chicago though so I can't comment on that.

I live in a 3bdrm 1 bath across the street from the T in a fun-ish area for 650$ a month and I'm pretty sure I'm getting ripped off.
$650? "Fun-ish area" clearly means either gentrifying crack neighborhood or recently rezoned toxic sewage plant.


LOL I'm considering a funish area in Cabrini Green.
dino-mite! Just remember not to wear any jewelry or bright clothing.

I checked the bus lines, and it looks like not a lot of bus lines go through there, at least none near that rezoned-project HGL wants to live in. Have to walk like 6-8 blocks to get to a bus.


Yea I came to a realization that the relationship between travel time and cost is pretty linear. There really isn't a place where it drops off faster, except shitty areas with crime. So I'm leaning towards somewhere close 1L, then line up room mates for 2L in wrigelyville, and live off my loans I'll never pay back.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby NayBoer » Tue May 04, 2010 12:32 pm

Well, think of living in Cabrini Green as your 2L SA. When you graduate jobless, you'll already know who leads the low-rise crew and who runs the towers. Try to network with the pushers to see if you can be a corner boy after 3L.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:52 pm

NayBoer wrote:Well, think of living in Cabrini Green as your 2L SA. When you graduate jobless, you'll already know who leads the low-rise crew and who runs the towers. Try to network with the pushers to see if you can be a corner boy after 3L.


Image

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue May 04, 2010 4:47 pm

.
Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby Blindmelon » Tue May 04, 2010 4:56 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:You realize New England is a region right - aka a lot of states? 40% stay in the state 10 or so % go to RI, MA, NH, etc. In New England, there isn't much competition other than BC and whatever T14s want to stick around. The other 50% are split between NYC (bout 30%), DC (bout 10%) and CA (bout 10%) - with fluctuations and some ending up at firms in Chicago etc.

That's the breakdown that NALP gives, but I think it's fair to assume that, in the case of BU, New England should be taken as Boston. As for your other numbers, NYC is 20% maximum (since their entire Mid Atlantic output is 20% total) and DC is probably about right, (no higher than the 14% sent to the South Atlantic, of which DC is a part). You've overestimated CA placement though - real number is 4% maximum, per the NALP.


Is this the most recent? I'm guessing because of the economy, BU had to fall back on its home market where its strongest - I haven't looked at the new NALP data yet - when I applied it was only 40% in MA - makes sense that less go to NYC now being that NYC as a market is a shit show.

Also assuming New England is Boston for BU? Thats like saying assume the South is Tennessee for Vanderbilt. Theres more than 1 market in New England - and the competition in New England aside from the biggies (H/Y) and BC, its is really nill. Yes, theres not a lot of biglaw floating around RI/NH, etc, but we have lot of people who become PDs/DAs in NE as well as clerk for state supreme for MA on up.
The only other schools in New England other than BC/BU are like Roger Williams, Q-Pac and UConn, which I can say very confidently, BC/BU trounces even in their home market.

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby Rock Chalk » Tue May 04, 2010 4:58 pm

.
Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vlsorbust
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby vlsorbust » Wed May 05, 2010 12:27 am

Desert Fox wrote: Yea I came to a realization that the relationship between travel time and cost is pretty linear. There really isn't a place where it drops off faster, except shitty areas with crime. So I'm leaning towards somewhere close 1L, then line up room mates for 2L in [strike]wrigelyville[/strike] any neighborhood but Wrigleyville, and live off my loans I'll never pay back.


FTFY. Unless you're a die-hard Cubs fan and/or an angry drunk, you really won't want to live in Wrigleyville.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:28 am

vlsorbust wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Yea I came to a realization that the relationship between travel time and cost is pretty linear. There really isn't a place where it drops off faster, except shitty areas with crime. So I'm leaning towards somewhere close 1L, then line up room mates for 2L in [strike]wrigelyville[/strike] any neighborhood but Wrigleyville, and live off my loans I'll never pay back.


FTFY. Unless you're a die-hard Cubs fan and/or an angry drunk, you really won't want to live in Wrigleyville.


<---Cubs fan and angry drunk.

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby DerrickRose » Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 am

Desert Fox wrote:Yea I came to a realization that the relationship between travel time and cost is pretty linear. There really isn't a place where it drops off faster, except shitty areas with crime. So I'm leaning towards somewhere close 1L, then line up room mates for 2L in wrigelyville, and live off my loans I'll never pay back.


LP?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:42 am

DerrickRose wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea I came to a realization that the relationship between travel time and cost is pretty linear. There really isn't a place where it drops off faster, except shitty areas with crime. So I'm leaning towards somewhere close 1L, then line up room mates for 2L in wrigelyville, and live off my loans I'll never pay back.


LP?


Lincoln Park? It's still a bit of a commute, and it isn't a huge amount of savings. Though I can get a bigger apartment for the less. I think I'll take the convenience of living two or three blocks away. Also LP is too fun, I need to study my ass off. I did horrible in undergrad.

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby DerrickRose » Wed May 05, 2010 12:50 am

Desert Fox wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea I came to a realization that the relationship between travel time and cost is pretty linear. There really isn't a place where it drops off faster, except shitty areas with crime. So I'm leaning towards somewhere close 1L, then line up room mates for 2L in wrigelyville, and live off my loans I'll never pay back.


LP?


Lincoln Park? It's still a bit of a commute, and it isn't a huge amount of savings. Though I can get a bigger apartment for the less. I think I'll take the convenience of living two or three blocks away. Also LP is too fun, I need to study my ass off. I did horrible in undergrad.


0L myth #1: 1L is a 24/7 grind of psychotic studying.

0L myth #2: 2L is undergrad again.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:54 am

DerrickRose wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yea I came to a realization that the relationship between travel time and cost is pretty linear. There really isn't a place where it drops off faster, except shitty areas with crime. So I'm leaning towards somewhere close 1L, then line up room mates for 2L in wrigelyville, and live off my loans I'll never pay back.


LP?


Lincoln Park? It's still a bit of a commute, and it isn't a huge amount of savings. Though I can get a bigger apartment for the less. I think I'll take the convenience of living two or three blocks away. Also LP is too fun, I need to study my ass off. I did horrible in undergrad.


0L myth #1: 1L is a 24/7 grind of psychotic studying.

0L myth #2: 2L is undergrad again.


Damn you are convincing me. Plus. I lived 15 minutes away from classes at Illinois when I lived in the dorms.

But I'm going to hold onto myth 2 to keep me going. Beer, babes and baseball/football right? Right?

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby DerrickRose » Wed May 05, 2010 12:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:Damn you are convincing me. Plus. I lived 15 minutes away from classes at Illinois when I lived in the dorms.

But I'm going to hold onto myth 2 to keep me going. Beer, babes and baseball/football right? Right?


I mean, I'm not there yet, but I do not anticipate babes, baseball, and this monstrosity that Ron Zook has created can hardly be called football.

There will be beer though. And I do have a fantastic schedule next semester.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:58 am

DerrickRose wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Damn you are convincing me. Plus. I lived 15 minutes away from classes at Illinois when I lived in the dorms.

But I'm going to hold onto myth 2 to keep me going. Beer, babes and baseball/football right? Right?


I mean, I'm not there yet, but I do not anticipate babes, baseball, and this monstrosity that Ron Zook has created can hardly be called football.

There will be beer though. And I do have a fantastic schedule next semester.


I've read some slackers guides to law school, and I think I'd be able to do okay slacking, but I sure as hell am not going to find out during 1L, at least ITE. I plan on slacking 2L and 3L.

So I hope I do well enough I don't have to gun for clerkships.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed May 19, 2010 2:38 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Boston in unbelievably cheaper than DC - I lived there for 2 years, it was rough. I have no idea in comparison to Chicago though so I can't comment on that.

I live in a 3bdrm 1 bath across the street from the T in a fun-ish area for 650$ a month and I'm pretty sure I'm getting ripped off.
$650? "Fun-ish area" clearly means either gentrifying crack neighborhood or recently rezoned toxic sewage plant.


LOL I'm considering a funish area in Cabrini Green.
dino-mite! Just remember not to wear any jewelry or bright clothing.

I checked the bus lines, and it looks like not a lot of bus lines go through there, at least none near that rezoned-project HGL wants to live in. Have to walk like 6-8 blocks to get to a bus.

Just found this; not true. Division is only like a block away, LaSalle is also close, and the red line is under 10 mins walking.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby NayBoer » Wed May 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Just found this; not true. Division is only like a block away, LaSalle is also close, and the red line is under 10 mins walking.
This makes me feel less worried for you, but I'll still be cowering with the other yuppie sell-outs in Streeterville.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed May 19, 2010 4:52 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Just found this; not true. Division is only like a block away, LaSalle is also close, and the red line is under 10 mins walking.
This makes me feel less worried for you, but I'll still be cowering with the other yuppie sell-outs in Streeterville.

I may end up there, myself. We shall see.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby tram988 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:You realize New England is a region right - aka a lot of states? 40% stay in the state 10 or so % go to RI, MA, NH, etc. In New England, there isn't much competition other than BC and whatever T14s want to stick around. The other 50% are split between NYC (bout 30%), DC (bout 10%) and CA (bout 10%) - with fluctuations and some ending up at firms in Chicago etc.

That's the breakdown that NALP gives, but I think it's fair to assume that, in the case of BU, New England should be taken as Boston. As for your other numbers, NYC is 20% maximum (since their entire Mid Atlantic output is 20% total) and DC is probably about right, (no higher than the 14% sent to the South Atlantic, of which DC is a part). You've overestimated CA placement though - real number is 4% maximum, per the NALP.


Is this the most recent? I'm guessing because of the economy, BU had to fall back on its home market where its strongest - I haven't looked at the new NALP data yet - when I applied it was only 40% in MA - makes sense that less go to NYC now being that NYC as a market is a shit show.

Also assuming New England is Boston for BU? Thats like saying assume the South is Tennessee for Vanderbilt. Theres more than 1 market in New England - and the competition in New England aside from the biggies (H/Y) and BC, its is really nill. Yes, theres not a lot of biglaw floating around RI/NH, etc, but we have lot of people who become PDs/DAs in NE as well as clerk for state supreme for MA on up.
The only other schools in New England other than BC/BU are like Roger Williams, Q-Pac and UConn, which I can say very confidently, BC/BU trounces even in their home market.

+1/ You're the man Blindmelon. OP is making a great choice with BU IMO.

User avatar
vlsorbust
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby vlsorbust » Fri May 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Just found this; not true. Division is only like a block away, LaSalle is also close, and the red line is under 10 mins walking.
This makes me feel less worried for you, but I'll still be cowering with the other yuppie sell-outs in Streeterville.

I may end up there, myself. We shall see.


Seriously, living in Streeterville is really not worth the extra debt you'll incur just so that you can pay $$$$$$$ in rent. Gold Coast is a perfectly nice area, only a few blocks farther away, and much more affordable. It's still a bit pretentious, but at least you'll be able to afford to eat (barely). :) Old Town is a great neighborhood, too - 5 to 10 minutes at most to Chicago and Michigan.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 11:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
vlsorbust wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Yea I came to a realization that the relationship between travel time and cost is pretty linear. There really isn't a place where it drops off faster, except shitty areas with crime. So I'm leaning towards somewhere close 1L, then line up room mates for 2L in [strike]wrigelyville[/strike] any neighborhood but Wrigleyville, and live off my loans I'll never pay back.


FTFY. Unless you're a die-hard Cubs fan and/or an angry drunk, you really won't want to live in Wrigleyville.


<---Cubs fan and angry drunk.


Haha.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby JCougar » Sat May 22, 2010 1:01 am

My last apartment in Chicago was in River West, a little known neighborhood just West of the Kennedy around Grand Ave. It's fantastic. I split a two bedroom there and paid $675 in rent, was literally down the street from the blue line, and I could get to work downtown in less than 10 minutes. Sometimes I decided to walk home just for the exercise. There's a lot of really good restaurants in the area, and a few bars close by. If you want something even more affordable than Gold Coast or Old Town, y'all should check it out.

Also, the streets around my building had free parking.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: BU$$$ vs GULC vs Northwestern (but sick of Chicago)

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat May 22, 2010 1:57 am

lol@living in Streeterville.

Also, Hyde Park represent!!!1?..

:(

Edit: Get me the fuck out of this hellhole that is Hyde Park




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fscow1022, heythatslife and 6 guests