Duke/ Georgetown vs. UF/FSU for Florida

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
poo

Duke/ Georgetown vs. UF/FSU for Florida

Postby poo » Mon May 03, 2010 1:46 am

My friend to accepted to all the schools mentioned in the title and would have to pay sticker at Duke and Georgetown and graduate with a shit ton of debt, or he would go to UF/ FSU for free. He's 100% sure he wants to stay in Florida and is having a hard time trying to decide if the debt is worth it. I really can't find anything on this, so if someone has any feed back I (we) would really appreciate it!

Cupidity

Re: Duke/ Georgetown vs. UF/FSU for Florida

Postby Cupidity » Mon May 03, 2010 1:49 am

Duke

/thread

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 am

Is he good-looking and single? Then he should go to FSU. : )

Sorry I don't have any real help (0L), but if he could go to UF or FSU for free, and he wants to stay in Florida, either of those seem like the obvious choice.

poo

Postby poo » Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 am

Cupidity wrote:Duke

/thread

Will you please explain why?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon May 03, 2010 1:53 am

This is one of those threads where I have absolutely no idea.

Umm.. what are the career goals? ex. biglaw, clerkship, PI, academia, etc.

poo

Postby poo » Mon May 03, 2010 1:55 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:This is one of those threads where I have absolutely no idea.

He would like biglaw for sure (which is why maybe Duke or Georgetown?), so I guess the question is for a big firm job in Florida, is Duke > UF/ FSU for biglaw to the point where it is worth debt.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon May 03, 2010 2:02 am

Biglaw or bust usually means go to the highest ranked school possible. I, personally, would take a regional school full scholly over anything except T6-10. But, I'm definitely not biglaw or bust and I'm probably a little more debt averse than the average person.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Mon May 03, 2010 2:06 am

While Biglaw writ large is a much more certain proposition at Duke than Florida (which places more strongly in FL than FSU from everything I hear), Florida Biglaw may not be.

I wouldn't chance the debt. If you're 100% committed to living in Florida, Go Gators.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon May 03, 2010 2:41 am

See, the problem w/ the advice I'm going to give is that I probably wouldn't take it if it were me, haha.

Seattle is my target market and UW absolutely owns it. If I had received a full-ride there (I know they don't give them but for the sake of the argument.....) and I had been accepted to Duke, I think I'd make the mistake of taking Duke. Maybe not. But I think the responsible answer here would be UF.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 am

poo wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:This is one of those threads where I have absolutely no idea.

He would like biglaw for sure (which is why maybe Duke or Georgetown?), so I guess the question is for a big firm job in Florida, is Duke > UF/ FSU for biglaw to the point where it is worth debt.

Since he wants biglaw, the correct choice is Duke.

poo

Postby poo » Mon May 03, 2010 2:46 am

im_blue wrote:
poo wrote:

Even for Florida biglaw?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon May 03, 2010 3:08 am

What did I say? DUKE.

All the top firms in the south east recruit from Duke. That includes Florida.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon May 03, 2010 3:17 am

On a side note, UF is getting crushed employment-wise. Students at the very top had to struggle this past year BIGTIME. Even if you are in the top 5% there biglaw is not a sure thing right now.

lshopeful3232

Postby lshopeful3232 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:17 am

Cupidity wrote:What did I say? DUKE.

what makes you certain that a top florida firm would recruit from duke over its own UF graduates? Duke only sends 10% of its grads to the South actually and Florida is not among the most popular. i mean, that's of course obvious, but i get the sense that Florida firms wouldn't necessarily go for Duke before UF every time. I think it depends where you are looking in Florida though too as half of Florida is more "southern" and the other part has a more "northern" population that might be more keen on Duke.

i'm not saying the Florida schools are definitely better but they are giving you the chance to be debt free and if you are set on florida, it will work out for you in the end and UF should not be underestimated as it is the top ranked Florida school

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:24 am

lshopeful3232 wrote:

what makes you certain that a top florida firm would recruit from duke over its own UF graduates? Duke only sends 10% of its grads to the South actually and Florida is not among the most popular. i mean, that's of course obvious, but i get the sense that Florida firms wouldn't necessarily go for Duke before UF every time. I think it depends where you are looking in Florida though too as half of Florida is more "southern" and the other part has a more "northern" population that might be more keen on Duke.

i'm not saying the Florida schools are definitely better but they are giving you the chance to be debt free and if you are set on florida, it will work out for you in the end and UF should not be underestimated as it is the top ranked Florida school

I would only add that part of the Duke stats is self-selection.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon May 03, 2010 3:27 am

lshopeful3232 wrote:

Are you really going to lecture me on the cultural breakdown of my homestate? And its not half and half anyway dude, its thirds. The North third is the South, the Middle third is the North, and the South third is Cuba.

Any cursory look at employment stats should be sufficient to quiet you. As stated above, even as top-dog in Florida, UF does a poor job of securing top-jobs in state. The few BIGLAW firms in the state are not home-grown, but rather, are sattelite offices for out of state firms. While this, of course, is nothing uncommon, the desirablity of Florida for employment, coupled with this and the fact the states best local school is barely hanging in to the first tier, means that many of the top firm jobs here go to T-14 grads from up north. I have been in and worked for such firms,

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon May 03, 2010 9:52 am

im_blue wrote:
poo wrote:

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:59 am

poo wrote:My friend to accepted to all the schools mentioned in the title and would have to pay sticker at Duke and Georgetown and graduate with a shit ton of debt, or he would go to UF/ FSU for free. He's 100% sure he wants to stay in Florida and is having a hard time trying to decide if the debt is worth it. I really can't find anything on this, so if someone has any feed back I (we) would really appreciate it!

I think your friend needs to be clearer on what he/she means by "big law."

You see, big law cuts off at firms of about 166 lawyers (it changes year to year).

I'm pretty sure that there is not a massive presence of big law firm offices in FL to begin with.

If your friend thinks that he/she would happy working at a firm with more than 50+ lawyers, irregardless of the "big law' distinction made online, then he/she should go to UF (easily).

If your friend has to absolutely/positively work at a "big law" firm, he/she should go to Duke.

lshopeful3232

Postby lshopeful3232 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:02 am

Cupidity wrote:
lshopeful3232 wrote:

Are you really going to lecture me on the cultural breakdown of my homestate? And its not half and half anyway dude, its thirds. The North third is the South, the Middle third is the North, and the South third is Cuba.

Any cursory look at employment stats should be sufficient to quiet you. As stated above, even as top-dog in Florida, UF does a poor job of securing top-jobs in state. The few BIGLAW firms in the state are not home-grown, but rather, are sattelite offices for out of state firms. While this, of course, is nothing uncommon, the desirablity of Florida for employment, coupled with this and the fact the states best local school is barely hanging in to the first tier, means that many of the top firm jobs here go to T-14 grads from up north. I have been in and worked for such firms,

Wow, not trying to lecture anyone, chill. I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, just trying to assure the OP that if they are debt adverse, then UF isn't a bad option is all. I didn't realize the OP only wanted Big law anyway....Hardly trying to analyze the cultural breakdown of Florida, nor do i particularly care.

tilghmab

Postby tilghmab » Mon May 03, 2010 10:21 am

Cupidity wrote:
lshopeful3232 wrote:

Shameless Orlando trolling.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue May 04, 2010 11:00 am

Whats wrong with Orlando?

I agree with what was said that there are no real 'biglaw' jobs in Florida. From my research there are no market paying $160k jobs in Florida at all. If the motivation is Florida or bust, then go UF or FSU. If it is biglaw $$$ or bust, then go Duke. I would just be worried paying off the debt load when the best firms in Florida pay at most $145k, and when those jobs are quite scarce.

Check out http://www.nalpdirectory.com for my info and to do some research into OCI at all these schools.

tilghmab

Postby tilghmab » Wed May 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Whats wrong with Orlando?

I agree with what was said that there are no real 'biglaw' jobs in Florida. From my research there are no market paying $160k jobs in Florida at all. If the motivation is Florida or bust, then go UF or FSU. If it is biglaw $$$ or bust, then go Duke. I would just be worried paying off the debt load when the best firms in Florida pay at most $145k, and when those jobs are quite scarce.

Check out http://www.nalpdirectory.com for my info and to do some research into OCI at all these schools.

Orlando is fine (except for the drivers) - just sticking up for the Magic City.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed May 05, 2010 12:57 pm

I would dare to say that the driving problems exists in all parts of Florida.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed May 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Cupidity wrote:
lshopeful3232 wrote:

Yea- way too many of my kind of people in Tampa/Orlando. Oy vey!

WTR123

Postby WTR123 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Fourth generation Floridian and UF undergrad who is going to Duke in the fall.

From a practical standpoint, I don't see how you can beat a free ride to UF if indeed you want to live in the great state of Florida. Your friend will graduate with little to no debt, and if he/she jockeys hard enough for a job, likely be employed by the same firm that would have hired him/her if they had attended Duke.

Even if he/she didn't make nearly as much, they would still be making a profit without paying off debt.

University of Florida, no question.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”