UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

Postby weee » Tue May 04, 2010 12:34 am

raspberryfruitcake wrote:I hate the 405 as well. Driving local is best in LA :)

I sent in the seat deposit for UCLA to buy me more time to decide. Is COL really cheaper in Chicago than in LA? By how much?

UCLA's website says that in-state tuition is $35,328. Where does it say that it's 45K???????????????

I apologize if this thread turned into an LA-bashing thread... :D


Did you even look at your ePAL? it is already 40k this year, and the regents are raising the tuition to compensate for the loss of state funding. If you were really considering UCLA you should have gone to at least one admitted students' day? I believe it was addressed by the interim dean at both.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... v09/f2.pdf

that PDF says it all...

Of course UCLA doesn't flash that information out there because it would deter people from attending, but they won't lie to you if you just ask either.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

Postby im_blue » Tue May 04, 2010 12:38 am

weee wrote:
raspberryfruitcake wrote:I hate the 405 as well. Driving local is best in LA :)

I sent in the seat deposit for UCLA to buy me more time to decide. Is COL really cheaper in Chicago than in LA? By how much?

UCLA's website says that in-state tuition is $35,328. Where does it say that it's 45K???????????????

I apologize if this thread turned into an LA-bashing thread... :D


Did you even look at your ePAL? it is already 40k this year, and the regents are raising the tuition to compensate for the loss of state funding. If you were really considering UCLA you should have gone to at least one admitted students' day? I believe it was addressed by the interim dean at both.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... v09/f2.pdf

that PDF says it all...

Of course UCLA doesn't flash that information out there because it would deter people from attending, but they won't lie to you if you just ask either.

I consider that lying, because Berkeley is perfectly capable of putting that information clearly on their web site.
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6943.htm

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue May 04, 2010 2:11 am

anthonyc350 wrote:If you think LA is a nicer place to live than Chicago you need to have your head examined. I'd rather put up with Chicago winters 365 days a year than live in the shi*hole of america.



^^clearly never been to Westwood^^

but yes, LA will cost more than Chicago. The UCLA area would be an expensive place to live without the tens of thousands of university students. It's one of the most expensive places to rent in LA.
Last edited by quickquestionthanks on Tue May 04, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

Postby JOThompson » Tue May 04, 2010 2:12 am

Desert Fox wrote:
raspberryfruitcake wrote:Which school should I choose??

UCLA will be around $28K/year for me (In-state + tiny scholarship)
NU will be $47K/year (no scholarship, just got off wait list)

I *think* I want to practice corporate law, but I am not sure.
I don't have a particular geographical preference.

I have 8 hours to decide! Help!!


UCLA for SoCal market, NU for everywhere else.

User avatar
anthonyc350
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

Postby anthonyc350 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:42 am

I'm from Anaheim, I've been to westwood a thousand times, its sterile for a college town and rent is astronomical, would rather live in wrigleyville for twice the better atmosphere and half the price. I think UCLA is a phenomenal school, im just saying if you are comparing the cities from someone who has lived for a significant amount of time near both you'd be crazy to chose LA based on QOL.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

Postby fortissimo » Tue May 04, 2010 9:34 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:LA can be pretty cool if you know where to go. Don't bash it until you've lived there for at least 6 months.


6 months!? You should be able to make judgment on whether or not you'd like to live somewhere in quite a bit less time than that. I personally wouldn't ever want to spend 6 months in a place I hate in the hope that I will stop hating it, especially if I never did and I blew all that $ on a place I didn't want to live in. LA is waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too expensive of a place to just say "Oh, give it 6 months before you make a decision."


6 seconds at LAX is enough for me to render a decision. LA proper is much worse than LAX.


I spent 10 hours in LAX once due to a flight delay. Tried to drown myself in a urinal but it didn't work.

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue May 04, 2010 11:50 am

fortissimo wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:LA can be pretty cool if you know where to go. Don't bash it until you've lived there for at least 6 months.


6 months!? You should be able to make judgment on whether or not you'd like to live somewhere in quite a bit less time than that. I personally wouldn't ever want to spend 6 months in a place I hate in the hope that I will stop hating it, especially if I never did and I blew all that $ on a place I didn't want to live in. LA is waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too expensive of a place to just say "Oh, give it 6 months before you make a decision."


6 seconds at LAX is enough for me to render a decision. LA proper is much worse than LAX.


I spent 10 hours in LAX once due to a flight delay. Tried to drown myself in a urinal but it didn't work.


I would rather fly in a middle seat on United all the way down to Australia than get stuck at LAX for 10 hours. Although if it wasn't 2AM, plane watching at In N Out would have been a possibility.

User avatar
raspberryfruitcake
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

Postby raspberryfruitcake » Fri May 07, 2010 10:23 am

weee wrote:
raspberryfruitcake wrote:I hate the 405 as well. Driving local is best in LA :)

I sent in the seat deposit for UCLA to buy me more time to decide. Is COL really cheaper in Chicago than in LA? By how much?

UCLA's website says that in-state tuition is $35,328. Where does it say that it's 45K???????????????

I apologize if this thread turned into an LA-bashing thread... :D


Did you even look at your ePAL? it is already 40k this year, and the regents are raising the tuition to compensate for the loss of state funding. If you were really considering UCLA you should have gone to at least one admitted students' day? I believe it was addressed by the interim dean at both.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... v09/f2.pdf

that PDF says it all...

Of course UCLA doesn't flash that information out there because it would deter people from attending, but they won't lie to you if you just ask either.



Crap! I just looked at the ePAL thing! In my OP I was just going off of what the website says. Ughhh!!! 5K Increase!!

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

Postby weee » Fri May 07, 2010 11:12 am

Yes, and it is going up 5k per year while we are there. I am going to ucla but I hate to see someone choose ucla based on a false assumption about the tuition

User avatar
raspberryfruitcake
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: UCLA ($) vs. NU sticker

Postby raspberryfruitcake » Sat May 08, 2010 1:04 pm

weee wrote:Yes, and it is going up 5k per year while we are there. I am going to ucla but I hate to see someone choose ucla based on a false assumption about the tuition


Yep, thanks so much. Now the difference is only $30K for 3 years... not bad. Both are very expensive though!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dcc617 and 8 guests