Yale struggling with yield?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lucille

Yale struggling with yield?

Postby lucille » Sat May 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Looking at LSN, which I know isn't a scientific sample, it appears that Yale is not getting the yield it has had in the past.

I compared the last 4 years of application cycles, and, as of a few minutes ago, YLS already has 2x the amount of acceptances withdraw than in any other cycle since 2006-07 (27% of the 45 acceptances, vs. 10%, 12%, and 13% in the three previous years, respectively).

For purposes of comparison, HLS has not had a similar spike this year, and looking through individual users, it looks like most people who passed on YLS chose Stanford instead.

Hopefully this means some extra movement from the waitlist this year. Thoughts?

Unemployed

Re: Yale struggling with yield?

Postby Unemployed » Sat May 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Once every decade or two, a Yale student is murdered and various admissions departments have to scramble to stifle the negative effects. For UG, I believe Yale was the only Ivy League school whose application #'s dropped. Maybe the law school is experiencing a similar effect.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Unemployed wrote:Once every decade or two, a Yale student is murdered and various admissions departments have to scramble to stifle the negative effects. For UG, I believe Yale was the only Ivy League school whose application #'s dropped. Maybe the law school is experiencing a similar effect.

lol do you really think that's the reason? I think it's just a coincidence that more cross admits at Y/S liked the west coast this year.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Sat May 01, 2010 7:16 pm

legends159 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Once every decade or two, a Yale student is murdered and various admissions departments have to scramble to stifle the negative effects. For UG, I believe Yale was the only Ivy League school whose application #'s dropped. Maybe the law school is experiencing a similar effect.

lol do you really think that's the reason? I think it's just a coincidence that more cross admits at Y/S liked the west coast this year.

I actually agree with Unemployed. The whole thing is pretty scary, but then again there are crazy people everywhere.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sat May 01, 2010 7:26 pm

This is a good thing for people on T14 WLs. The more Yale pulls from its WL, the more other T6 schools must pull from theirs, and on down the line.

JUmpJUmp

Postby JUmpJUmp » Sun May 02, 2010 1:20 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:This is a good thing for people on T14 WLs. The more Yale pulls from its WL, the more other T6 schools must pull from theirs, and on down the line.

Perhaps you should, you know, think before you post. :p

The total number of spots available in T6 hasn't changed. If accepted students choose S over Y, yes, more will be taken off of Y's waitlist, but less will be taken off of S's waitlist. There is no "trickle down" effect, so to speak, but at least blind optimism can lead to peace of mind (sorry).

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun May 02, 2010 2:16 am

JUmpJUmp wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:This is a good thing for people on T14 WLs. The more Yale pulls from its WL, the more other T6 schools must pull from theirs, and on down the line.

The total number of spots available in T6 hasn't changed. If accepted students choose S over Y, yes, more will be taken off of Y's waitlist, but less will be taken off of S's waitlist. There is no "trickle down" effect, so to speak, but at least blind optimism can lead to peace of mind (sorry).

Maybe you should think before you post.

Your logic assumes that, for this not to benefit people on T6 waitlists, all of those who don't go to Yale end up at one of the other 5. Some may have decided not to go to law school at all ITE and stay in their current fields, considering so many YLS admits are accomplished professionals and academics. Those who are admitted fresh out of undergrad certainly have lucrative i-banking or consulting offers, since these industries have rebounded and are hiring, while the legal industry falters.

Meet the waitlist food chain. Food chain, newbie. Newbie, food chain.

--ImageRemoved--
(credit to deloggio.com)

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Sun May 02, 2010 2:29 am

No comprendo this chart

Notor

Postby Notor » Sun May 02, 2010 2:38 am

That chart is just dumb

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun May 02, 2010 2:40 am

When a school points at another school, it means they pull people off of their waitlist who are attending that school (being pointed at).

ie. Detroit Mercy --> Cooley means that when a student gets off of the waitlist from Detroit, Cooley has to scramble to find another sucker willing to put down a deposit because one of their deposited students just jumped ship.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sun May 02, 2010 2:52 am

JUmpJUmp wrote:

Well, this logic is also shaky. It's entirely within the realm of possibilities that Stanford wasn't planning on taking people off the waitlist anyway, and just ends up with an over-enrolled class. Then, the vacancy created by Yale's (supposed) problems would be preserved and trickle down to the rest (unless there is a mismatch-curing phenomenon whereby most of the people who are taken off Yale's WL had deposited at Stanford but preferred Yale).

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun May 02, 2010 3:00 am

Notor wrote:That chart is just dumb

+1

Yeah... it's amusing to look at. But too much of it is relative, and flat-out arbitrary.

Also, nice to know that if things don't work out with Tulane, then Wake will take you (really?). And if things don't work out at Iowa or Wisconsin, then Wash U will take you (??). Oh yeah, and if things don't work out with UVA, then surely Duke will snatch them up (thought of them as close to peers, but whatev). This is sooo arbitrary.

But amusing, nonetheless. Brownie points!
:)

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun May 02, 2010 3:05 am

I'll now mention that this was created in '98 :lol:

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun May 02, 2010 3:23 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:I'll now mention that this was created in '98 :lol:

Ah, I see. In any case, I like how Yale is off to the side almost not connected to anything :lol:

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun May 02, 2010 10:27 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Meet the waitlist food chain. Food chain, newbie. Newbie, food chain.

--ImageRemoved--
(credit to deloggio.com)

Blatant pro-Minnesota trolling. :roll:

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sun May 02, 2010 10:58 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:Meet the waitlist food chain. Food chain, newbie. Newbie, food chain.

--ImageRemoved--
(credit to deloggio.com)

Waitlist food chain, blue ball machine. Blue ball machine, waitlist food chain.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Sun May 02, 2010 12:08 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Waitlist food chain, blue ball machine. Blue ball machine, waitlist food chain.

pic of blue ball machine

:lol:

pleasepickme

Postby pleasepickme » Sun May 02, 2010 12:20 pm

As someone on Yale's waitlist, I fervently hope this is truly reflective of the overall pool.

As someone who is also on Stanford's waitlist, crap.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun May 02, 2010 12:26 pm

pleasepickme wrote:As someone on Yale's waitlist, I fervently hope this is truly reflective of the overall pool.

As someone who is also on Stanford's waitlist, crap.

Best of luck!!

I'm almost certain you have a couple decent options if you're getting waitlisted by these schools.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Sun May 02, 2010 1:12 pm

thickfreakness wrote:pic of blue ball machine

I don't see a picture of your girlfriend.

quickquestionthanks wrote:ie. Detroit Mercy --> Cooley means that when a student gets off of the waitlist ...

You are discredited because i.e. means 'that is', not for example.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sun May 02, 2010 1:24 pm

jpSartre wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:pic of blue ball machine

I don't see a picture of your girlfriend.

Yeah, but I could have posted one of your mom. She needs to learn how to finish the job. O SNAP

Return to “Choosing a Law School”