Law School and Engineering School at the same time?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Danneskjöld

Re: Law School and Engineering School at the same time?

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 9:12 pm

zreinhar wrote:Exp is very limited, just interned during UG with a firm and really enjoyed it. Did claims and descriptions on prob two patents and some stuff on a CIP. Nothing deep, I just wanted to make sure o actually enjoyed it before I put all the time and effort in.

And to reiterate I am no longer doing the MSEE.

Good on the MSEE. Why do you think an UG internship gave you any relevant insight into whether you would like the work of a patent attorney?

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Why, how is the day to day of prep pro? I realize my questions may come across as patronizing or defensive but I'm not, I just want to know as much as I can.

I just wanted to know if I would like the Day to day, read disclosures prior art searched, etc. Also claims were alot different than I expected them to be, that was really interesting

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
zreinhar wrote:I know 4 or 5 personally that have boutique jobs paying market. They had some nice work exp and bachelors degrees. I didn't have a great cycle personally ( read LSAT shitted on me) so I'll try and go from here the reason behind GSU is the instate tuition, DF, why did you apply to a TTT?

I didn't apply because I decided I'd rather go to a top school than take a full ride at a TTT. My GPA was too low to get full rides even at T2's, even though I got into the t13.

There is little functional difference in the real world between a T25 degree and and TTT degree. T1 vs T2 vs T3 vs T4 is of marginal importance outside of the T14, or maybe consistently T20 schools. Especially for GSU, which is a distant second to UGA in the tiny (and shrinking/crumbling) Georgia/Atlanta market.

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 9:18 pm

zreinhar wrote:Why, how is the day to day of prep pro? I realize my questions may come across as patronizing or defensive but I'm not, I just want to know as much as I can.

I just wanted to know if I would like the Day to day, read disclosures prior art searched, etc. Also claims were alot different than I expected them to be, that was really interesting

First, please stop using "alot" it will help a lot in your legal career!

Second, you don't have time to read disclosures or search/read prior art. You are under incredibly tight efficiency constraints to get applications drafted and office actions out the door because most prosecution work is done flat fee these days. Or, it's tracked hourly but with caps. It's a grind because day to day the work never changes. Office actions and applications, with little actual legal work ever done. The technology changes, but usually only slightly since you'll probably have a limited stable of clients.

Edit: Also, while the 1st or even 10th claim you draft or read may be interesting, the 1000th may not be...

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Danneskjöld wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
zreinhar wrote:I know 4 or 5 personally that have boutique jobs paying market. They had some nice work exp and bachelors degrees. I didn't have a great cycle personally ( read LSAT shitted on me) so I'll try and go from here the reason behind GSU is the instate tuition, DF, why did you apply to a TTT?

I didn't apply because I decided I'd rather go to a top school than take a full ride at a TTT. My GPA was too low to get full rides even at T2's, even though I got into the t13.

There is little functional difference in the real world between a T25 degree and and TTT degree. T1 vs T2 vs T3 vs T4 is of marginal importance outside of the T14, or maybe consistently T20 schools. Especially for GSU, which is a distant second to UGA in the tiny (and shrinking/crumbling) Georgia/Atlanta market.

I think equating Wisconsin with John Marshall is a little extreme.

I heard some firms care more about your engineering experience and undergrad grades than what law school you go to, but other firms care mostly about law school.

My undergrad is a top school, but my grades suck, and my resume isn't very impressive. So I figured T13 is the best course for me.

Either way, I think I might enjoy patent litigation, in which case which law school one attends is very important.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 01, 2010 9:24 pm

So how'd you get into IP?

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:28 pm

Danneskjöld wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Its true that region becomes the most important consideration after top 14/ top 20. However, Saying there is no functional difference between T1 and T4 is a major stretch. There is a big difference in terms of employment prospects even if you take both schools in their respective dominant regions.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 01, 2010 10:39 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I would really talk to some attorneys about the difference between prosecution and litigation and transactional. That's my advice.

I have interviewed probably 10 local attys about the Atlanta market, going to GSU and what to expect from going there and the day to day for IP. The story goes like this:

- Family friend is Partner at LA firm, undergrad was ChemE at Gatech. (most of family went there)
- I got really interested and started looking up local attys I had stuff in common with
- Interviewed a bunch and looked for an internship
- Got an internship at a very small IP boutique in town
- Got a consulting gig with a bio tech. Its probably worse than the internship because the CEO just wanted someone who
could do some prior art searches for him that didnt cost him $500 an hour. So im gettin $30 an hour to do prior art
searches and read academic articles. (so nothing really too IP related except I can pick my title)
- Will be taking the patent bar next month. (learning how damn slow the PTO is)

Many of the aforementioed IP attys will be providing me with outlines and course material and I will read through that as some 0L prep (more just so I can know what to expect from classes, not to actually try and learn the material early)

I have good undergrad grades, and I think, some pretty good eng work exp. The only caveat is my "technology" major and no name school (though it has an okay rep here in Atl.)

Im on the WL at UGA, but if I got in (with the rankings jump I seriously doubt will happen) I would forfeit the good job I have and the potential money it would provide. I'm interested in transferring if its a possibility but am in no way expecting it, especially with how people ITT have been saying I'll probably end up.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”