Law School and Engineering School at the same time?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Danneskjöld

Re: Law School and Engineering School at the same time?

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
zreinhar wrote:I'm gonna say bump again just to see if he actually re quote what was said, but thanks all for the advice.... I'm sure you'll hear how it goes

Try again in English?

Says Mr. "Differ your law school a year." LOL. Yes, OP, you must differ!

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Danneskjöld wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
zreinhar wrote:I'm gonna say bump again just to see if he actually re quote what was said, but thanks all for the advice.... I'm sure you'll hear how it goes

Try again in English?

<-----pwnd.

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Danneskjöld wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Try again in English?

<-----pwnd.

If only the OP could so easily see his own impending pwnage...

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Danneskjöld wrote:

Unless they dumb down the MSEE online, I wouldn't even want to do 7-4 work plus a MSEE. MSEE students at UIUC maybe TA's a class or did some light research, nothing approaching 7-4.

When is he even going to do the MSEE homework? I'm assuming law school has class at 6-9.

Full time work, plus full time MSEE, plus part time JD. That's 45 hours of work, and 24 hours of masters credit. Ridiculous.

Sounds like a recipe to sub 3.0 a MSEE, and finish bottom of his law class.

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Danneskjöld wrote:

Unless they dumb down the MSEE online, I wouldn't even want to do 7-4 work plus a MSEE. MSEE students at UIUC maybe TA's a class or did some light research, nothing approaching 7-4.

When is he even going to do the MSEE homework? I'm assuming law school has class at 6-9.

Full time work, plus full time MSEE, plus part time JD. That's 45 hours of work, and 24 hours of masters credit. Ridiculous.

Legal Interview

Interviewer: "Ohhh so I see you went to USC? So did I!"
OP: "Yes for my Masters in EE"
Interviewer: "Catch many home games? good year this year, eh?"
OP: <cough> "Well, actually I did it online while in law school"
Interviewer: "Oh. Online. Uh. They do that, huh?"

___

Now you may think it's unlikely you'd run into a USC alum, right? But, trust me, an alumni connection is the only thing that could even possibly get you into an interview. Your school will not. Your likely grades, also will not. Your EE degree, because it sounds like you didn't do that great at a podunk EE school, will not.

What could go wrong???

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 01, 2010 7:49 pm

For reference I am "differing". it'll just be me, gsu, and no legal future...

ENGINEERD

Postby ENGINEERD » Sat May 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Danneskjöld wrote:

There is no doubt an MSEE will be difficult but I do not think PT MSEE plus 7-4 work schedule is impossible. Adding a JD into the mix (without deferring) however is nearly impossible. Engineering masters programs are not structured like undergrad. Meaning the workload is not as tedious and overbearing as it is in undergrad. The work is still very challenging but is more concise. In addition USC online classes are offered through the DEN program (Distance Education Network). This will allow you to watch the classes when it is convenient for your schedule. I know plenty of people who are working full time and can manage to take two graduate engineering classes at USC. Adding first year JD to this mix is really not a good idea.

Postby 270910 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:15 pm

The answer is still 'no, this idea is fatally flawed and not justifiable under any circumstances'. Let me know if you need to hear it again, I'm happy to re-type it.

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 8:19 pm

zreinhar wrote:For reference I am "differing". it'll just be me, gsu, and no legal future...

I wish I could see through your eyes. I often wonder how so many lemmings run off the cliff so happily. It seems impossible given the quantity of information online, both empirical and anecdotal, about how the legal industry works that so many could fail to understand what awaits them. A recent survey by Kaplan referenced here: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/the-hubr ... e-lawyers/ explained:

"According to a recent Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions survey of 330 pre-law students, 52% report that they are “very confident” that they will find a job in the legal field after graduating law school and passing the bar, but only 16% say they are “very confident” that the majority of their fellow aspiring lawyers will do the same. In fact, only seven percent of respondents indicated a lack of confidence in their own ability to secure employment upon graduation. Pre-law students’ attitudes are in keeping with research showing that students aged 18-29 are more optimistic about their economic future – despite a sluggish job market – than past generations."

OP, like those surveyed, are willfully blind because they think something about them, probably EE background in OP's case, makes them special such that they will buck the trend. But, the reality is:

TTT UG (with likely unimpressive grades) + Online Masters (which is probably worse than the worst brick and mortar school) + TTT JD (with likely unimpressive grades) =/= any likelihood of a legal job. This is especially insane when you consider the wealth of information on the internet about how much of a purely prestige-oriented profession is.
Last edited by Danneskjöld on Sat May 01, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat May 01, 2010 8:19 pm

disco_barred wrote:

The answer is still 'no, this idea is fatally flawed and not justifiable under any circumstances'. Let me know if you need to hear it again, I'm happy to re-type it.

Well I won't type any more after this, but I'll hit quote a few more times.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 01, 2010 8:22 pm

Yeah I'm just gonna take my po-dunk EET degree and TTT pray I don't end ip below median, thanks for the help and insults :)

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Also I'm not lookng for big law or anything along those lines nor do I expect legal employment, that's why I am going part time. So if I graduate and find nothing i still have a job that pays well and the only thing I lost is whatever time I orignally invested. And if that happens then I'll stay in engielneering, go get an MBA and become an engieering manager. So as far as the above poster about not finding a job, given all that fancy data you presented why are you going to law school?

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 8:28 pm

zreinhar wrote:Yeah I'm just gonna take my po-dunk EET degree and TTT pray I don't end ip below median, thanks for the help and insults :)

Pray for top 1% to 5% my friend... You think 50%, 60% or even 80% of GSU full-time grads (much less part-time) find legal employment? You're dreaming... Ask some GSU 3Ls how many have jobs lined up, or how many even know someone who does.

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:30 pm

zreinhar wrote:Yeah I'm just gonna take my po-dunk EET degree and TTT pray I don't end ip below median, thanks for the help and insults :)

How are the IP folks at GSU doing? Before my cycle I was deciding between T3 for free, or t1 for full price. From what I hear the T1 was the choice.

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 8:33 pm

ok
Last edited by Danneskjöld on Sat May 01, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 01, 2010 8:37 pm

I know 4 or 5 personally that have boutique jobs paying market. They had some nice work exp and bachelors degrees. I didn't have a great cycle personally ( read LSAT shitted on me) so I'll try and go from here the reason behind GSU is the instate tuition, DF, why did you apply to a TTT?

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Why would it be so bad for me to go to gsu part time if it won't cost any money and I'll still have a good job during?

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 8:49 pm

zreinhar wrote:Why would it be so bad for me to go to gsu part time if it won't cost any money and I'll still have a good job during?

I don't remember and don't want to read back, but why is it free? Employer or scholly? If scholly, is there a GPA connection? If employer, if you lose your job, what happens?

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 01, 2010 8:56 pm

I have a small scholly+savings and don't mind the risk associated with the investment. I have exp in prep and pro, I want to do that

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Danneskjöld wrote:
zreinhar wrote:Why would it be so bad for me to go to gsu part time if it won't cost any money and I'll still have a good job during?

I don't remember and don't want to read back, but why is it free? Employer or scholly? If scholly, is there a GPA connection? If employer, if you lose your job, what happens?

Also, check out: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch01.html free isn't always free.

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 8:59 pm

zreinhar wrote:I have a small scholly+savings and don't mind the risk associated with the investment. I have exp in prep and pro, I want to do that

Well savings is better than debt, I guess. It's still a terrible investment. How much prosecution experience? How many apps (including claims) and OAs, from start to finish have you drafted?

Edit: or did you just draft some part of the spec? Either way, it doesn't really matter. When firms hire agents they care about engineering knowledge, but even for those same individuals, when time comes to hire as an attorney, the normal criteria of LS + grades is applied. That is, unless you work for a solo or something with whom you have a personal connection.
Last edited by Danneskjöld on Sat May 01, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Also the scholly has no stipulation

Danneskjöld

Postby Danneskjöld » Sat May 01, 2010 9:03 pm

zreinhar wrote:Also the scholly has no stipulation

Didn't you say the MSEE was funded by employer? see the link I posted above

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Sat May 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Exp is very limited, just interned during UG with a firm and really enjoyed it. Did claims and descriptions on prob two patents and some stuff on a CIP. Nothing deep, I just wanted to make sure o actually enjoyed it before I put all the time and effort in.

And to reiterate I am no longer doing the MSEE.

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:07 pm

zreinhar wrote:I know 4 or 5 personally that have boutique jobs paying market. They had some nice work exp and bachelors degrees. I didn't have a great cycle personally ( read LSAT shitted on me) so I'll try and go from here the reason behind GSU is the instate tuition, DF, why did you apply to a TTT?

I didn't apply because I decided I'd rather go to a top school than take a full ride at a TTT. My GPA was too low to get full rides even at T2's, even though I got into the t13.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”