Pepperdine $$ vs UIUC vs UNC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would u choose?

Pepperdine$$
58%
UIUC
19%
UNC
23%

Total votes: 26

Ranran1116

Pepperdine $$ vs UIUC vs UNC

Postby Ranran1116 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:15 am

I would like to work in South California after graduation, and I love Malibu, but the ranks of the other two are way better than Pepperdine. So which one should I choose?

DerrickRose

Re: Pepperdine $$ vs UIUC vs UNC

Postby DerrickRose » Sat May 01, 2010 1:19 am

Seriously people, the "TLS Conventional Wisdom Bible" needs to be written. I volunteer.

Anyway, OP the answer is clearly Pepperdine. Only T14's place well enough in SoCal to justify leaving the state.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:25 am

::facepalm::

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sat May 01, 2010 2:37 am

Uhhh... decent regional school with good money versus questionably portable good schools?

Can we just sticky some post explaining the pre-eminent reasoning, or do we not want to rid this forum of 95% of its threads?

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Sat May 01, 2010 1:05 pm

DerrickRose wrote:Seriously people, the "TLS Conventional Wisdom Bible" needs to be written. I volunteer.

Anyway, OP the answer is clearly Pepperdine. Only T14's place well enough in SoCal to justify leaving the state.

That would actually be an awesome book. Is there a formula to solve every choosing a law school poll? For example. (Tuition/1,000 + rank - NLJ250 placement percentage) / 1.5 for the regionally preferred school or any T10. Lowest score wins. This formula was made up on the spot for explanation purposes and unless it coincidentally works spectacularly, it should be immediately forgotten.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sat May 01, 2010 2:29 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:Seriously people, the "TLS Conventional Wisdom Bible" needs to be written. I volunteer.

That would actually be an awesome book. Is there a formula to solve every choosing a law school poll? For example. (Tuition/1,000 + rank - NLJ250 placement percentage) / 1.5 for the regionally preferred school or any T10. Lowest score wins. This formula was made up on the spot for explanation purposes and unless it coincidentally works spectacularly, it should be immediately forgotten.

Its not a formula though. Its more of a flow chart. And everybody's would be different of course, but I feel like big chunks of information like "Don't leave the region you want to work in for anything below the T14" need to be available to newbies on this site without having some snarky poster like me use an image macro to belittle them.

That, and "Don't pay sticker at T2 or below" would probably settle 60% of the threads on here.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat May 01, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't understand why you are considering UNC and UIUC at sticker while wanting SoCal and you aren't considering Davis/Hastings. Either of them is probably a better bet for SoCal than Pepperdine, although I'd probably still take the money.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Sat May 01, 2010 11:54 pm

UNC for North Carolina
UIUC for illinois
Pepperdine for SoCal

Did you not get into Loyola/not apply?

btw disagree that Davis > Pepperdine for SoCal

Ranran1116

Postby Ranran1116 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:16 am

well, I got waitlisted by Hastings and Davis is still under evaluation. But even if I get accepted to both, I think for south California, Pepperdine would still be a better choice, since Hastings adn Davis are strongest in the north.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”