UNC vs. Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
briarose21

UNC vs. Cardozo

Postby briarose21 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 pm

Please help! I'm a Native New Yorker and want to practice in New York after graduation. I'm afraid UNC, though it's ranked higher than Cardozo, won't give me as much pull in New York.

Any thoughts?

DerrickRose

Re: UNC vs. Cardozo

Postby DerrickRose » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:10 pm

The answer is a clear and emphatic Cardozo, but I have a couple questions for you:

To what extent have you consulted with people who are actually practicing lawyers in making your decision?

How much have you been around the message boards of this website?

briarose21

Postby briarose21 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:32 pm

DerrickRose wrote:The answer is a clear and emphatic Cardozo, but I have a couple questions for you:

To what extent have you consulted with people who are actually practicing lawyers in making your decision?

How much have you been around the message boards of this website?

I've been on the boards for more than a year. I only got my UNC admit email this evening and before now thought I'd be rejected, so I hadn't done a ton of research into UNC.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Sat May 01, 2010 12:12 am

Well I address this to no one in particular, but if this guy can come to this website and not find an answer to "Cardozo or UNC for New York" without asking, then something is missing.

Maybe a stickied "TLS Conventional Wisdom Bible" at the top of this forum would be of some use.

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Sun May 02, 2010 1:39 am

DerrickRose wrote:Well I address this to no one in particular, but if this guy can come to this website and not find an answer to "Cardozo or UNC for New York" without asking, then something is missing.

Maybe a stickied "TLS Conventional Wisdom Bible" at the top of this forum would be of some use.

Do it!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Sun May 02, 2010 1:56 am

briarose21 wrote:Please help! I'm a Native New Yorker and want to practice in New York after graduation. I'm afraid UNC, though it's ranked higher than Cardozo, won't give me as much pull in New York.

Any thoughts?
you want to work in NYC so choose cardozo

daddymike

Postby daddymike » Tue May 04, 2010 4:33 pm

I'd choose UNC.
The way I see it is that you're nothing special in NYC if you are a Cardozo grad. Everyone and their grandmother is a Cardozo grad. So why do you think you will get preferential treatment? Secondly, don't forget that NYC is not exactly a place where it is a school's "home market." Take St. Louis, Atlanta, Indiana, etc. and you can talk about home markets, but NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston, and you're talking about cities with affluent people that have come there from other parts of the country (and the world). Keep in mind that besides attracting grads from the best national schools, NYC fills jobs from NYU, Columbia, Fordham, U Conn, and Brooklyn. You would be able to set yourself apart from the rest by scoring in, say, the top 15% at Cardozo, but if I were you I'd pick UNC. In case you haven't noticed, UNC has jumped 10 spots in the rankings in the last two years. They are in the midst of building a new building for the law school, and so the ranking will only go higher IMO. I will not be surprised at all if UNC breaks into the T20 in the next 5 years. It's fukcing Chapel Hill, for pete's sake. Anyhow, if it makes you feel any better I am a student at Iowa (1L) looking to get into public service on the East Coast (where I am from). I came to Iowa because of the low cost of living and the low cost of tuition (2L and 3L I will be getting in-state tuition.. already confirmed). I had no problem making summer internship contacts with various government offices on the east coast. While my grades are okay, they are far from stellar. I am not sure why people (especially on TLS) feel like telling others "If not T14, then go to your local school." While I see the sense in that, it is far from being a clear-cut rule. It really does differ based on the predicament. In any case, UNC out-of-state is 27k/yr., which is still ridiculously cheap. Also, while people may disagree, UNC's name has national recognition. If I were you, I'd pick UNC.. all the way.

RonArtest

Postby RonArtest » Tue May 04, 2010 4:37 pm

If you want to practice in NYC, then go to Cardozo.

LadyTarHeelian

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Tue May 04, 2010 4:40 pm

daddymike wrote: They are in the midst of building a new building for the law school

Just wanted to clarify that this is not the case. They do plan to move the law school to Carolina North but 1) the building of Carolina North is on hold because of the economy and 2) the law school will not be the first building built for Carolina North, the Innovation Center will be. So a new building for the law school is several years away. Website about Carolina North: --LinkRemoved--

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue May 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is the debt difference between the two schools?

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue May 04, 2010 4:42 pm

daddymike wrote:I will not be surprised at all if UNC breaks into the T20 in the next 5 years.

No.

Changes in Law School reputations are glacial at the fastest, and UNC is nothing special compared to its peer group. Good school. Not a T20.

dispatch

Postby dispatch » Tue May 04, 2010 4:54 pm

For what it's worth, I was faced with this same dilemma and I chose UNC. Even with a ton of money from Cardozo. UNC is a great school, and a hell of a deal, even for out of state students (i'm in state, but plan on working in NYC). As long as you are aware that it will require some legwork on your part, I think you should seriously consider UNC.

This isn't a slam dunk decision either way. Cardozo will have better networking opportunities, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth the price. Don't expect to be pulling in 160k out of either school in order to pay off your loans. If money isn't an issue at all, then Cardozo will most likely make it easier to find work in NYC. But I don't think Cardozo is worth sticker price (or even close to sticker, for that matter).

Good luck deciding.

evanmd

Postby evanmd » Tue May 04, 2010 6:12 pm

UNC!

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue May 04, 2010 6:18 pm

evanmd wrote:UNC!

Really? You guys <3 US News a little too much.

Postby 20160810 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:25 pm

UNC is a well respected school nationwide IMO, and doing well there will give OP many more options than 'dozo

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue May 04, 2010 6:32 pm

DerrickRose wrote:
daddymike wrote:I will not be surprised at all if UNC breaks into the T20 in the next 5 years.

No.

Changes in Law School reputations are glacial at the fastest, and UNC is nothing special compared to its peer group. Good school. Not a T20.

+1. UNC will never be a T20 unless Duke burns down and even then it's iffy.

dispatch

Postby dispatch » Tue May 04, 2010 6:44 pm

DerrickRose wrote:

No.

I have no idea if UNC will break into the T20 any time soon, but their reputation scores are already there. And they have been for a long time.

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... -news.html

If they put a little effort into gaming the rankings (and I don't think that they will or that they should), it wouldn't be too difficult for them to move up several spots since rep scores are a huge part of US News' system.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue May 04, 2010 6:47 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:UNC is a well respected school nationwide IMO, and doing well there will give OP many more options than 'dozo

Yes, but in NYC? I think its doubtful. OP wants NYC. If he wanted anywhere else, or was just concerned about job prospects, then slam-dunk UNC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”