Duke v. WLs v. Reapply

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
idiothek

Duke v. WLs v. Reapply

Postby idiothek » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:39 pm

I have a dilemma. I applied this year very late (late Jan- early Feb, even). I have ~ 3.5, 171, and I'm borderline URM (latino but not mex or puerto rican). I was accepted at Duke $$, Gtown $, UCLA and some safeties. I withdrew everywhere but Duke, as it was by far my best option. I was WL'd at:
Penn, NYU, Mich, UVA, NW & Cornell.

I am very happy to have been accepted at Duke and I'm sure I'd love it there. But this thought has crossed my mind: should I try reapplying for the next cycle, in Sept?

If I did, I'd retake the LSAT as well (I was PTing in the 175+ range).

What does TLS think? Any advice is welcome.

apper123

Re: Duke v. WLs v. Reapply

Postby apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:40 pm

I think that will hinge on your URM status to be honest, at least with your current #s. I know very little about how they define URMs, but I was always of the belief of that it was a system of either you are or you aren't? I'm probably wrong.

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:11 pm

idiothek wrote:I am very happy to have been accepted at Duke and I'm sure I'd love it there. But this thought has crossed my mind: should I try reapplying for the next cycle, in Sept?

Top-level program is offering you money. I don't know how your preferences are ordered. By the rankings alone, though, you can't do much better than Duke. Ask yourself this:
1. If you got into Penn or NYU next year, how much better off would you be in the long run, compared to matriculating this fall?
2. Do you think you can put together an application package next year that demonstrates that they were mistaken in waitlisting you this year?

My thinking:
1. I don't know your ideal career plans, but you can't go wrong (from a strictly professional perspective) attending Duke. You'd be highly employable all over the country, and you'll spend three years at one of the best campuses in the country. If you wait, you'll lose a year waiting, and you risk not getting in somewhere else.

2. You'd have to give the other schools one heck of a good reason to view you as a stronger applicant than you were this year (by the way, you were apparently a pretty strong applicant). I think it might take more than an even better LSAT score, and it's that remainder - not the LSAT - that will be tough to improve.

I'd say go to Duke, and never wonder if you could have 'done better.' Don't read that as a dare, as if to suggest you can't. Rather, I don't think there's a compelling reason not to jump on an outstanding opportunity.

I know very little about how they define URMs, but I was always of the belief of that it was a system of either you are or you aren't?

I'm also not an expert, but that sounds right.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Duke, seriously. You got $$ to a T14 with a 3.5 GPA, turning that down is probably highly inadvisable unless you want to pay sticker somewhere in the MVBP range after next cycle.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:50 pm

I heart Duke.

That is all.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:15 pm

Same numbers... see profile. I applied in early November btw.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:22 pm

$$ at Duke, hmmm. Don't really understand what you are hoping for, to pay sticker @ NYU. Is this better? Harvard, with a 3.5 next year? Don't think most would consider you a URM. I would take the money from Duke and be very happy with it.

idiothek

Postby idiothek » Sat May 01, 2010 2:12 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm not so sure about the whole URM thing either, tbh.

To answer some q's:

IBThatGuy wrote:1. If you got into Penn or NYU next year, how much better off would you be in the long run, compared to matriculating this fall?
2. Do you think you can put together an application package next year that demonstrates that they were mistaken in waitlisting you this year?

1. I don't know, that's precisely what I was asking. I read all over TLS the job market isn't very good right now and maybe a year of waiting would help the market recover?

2. My application package wouldn't be very different. I would just send it in a lot earlier, but I hear this makes a great difference.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun May 02, 2010 12:32 am

I'd go with Duke $$ this year. NYU is the only school on your WL list that's measurably better than Duke, and even then only for NYC. The others all place comparably to Duke. Is it worth waiting a year for marginally increased chances at peer schools?

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Sun May 02, 2010 11:56 pm

idiothek wrote:
1. I don't know, that's precisely what I was asking. I read all over TLS the job market isn't very good right now and maybe a year of waiting would help the market recover?

2. My application package wouldn't be very different. I would just send it in a lot earlier, but I hear this makes a great difference.

I see. Worthwhile point about the earlier application, but I still think Duke (with money!) is a really great option. Most people don't get offered money at crap programs; you're getting it at Duke. Take it, and don't look back.

Devin the Dude

Postby Devin the Dude » Mon May 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Can you get Duke to defer you? I didn't read the thread so pardon me if you already addressed that, but a non-binding deferral would solve your little problem here. You may get into a better law school next year, or not, but it's almost certain that the class of 2014 > class of 2013.

garrett09

Postby garrett09 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:18 pm

I'd go on LSN and search for people with your numbers. See which schools most of them got into. From a quick glance (not sure if this link works, but: http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0910 ) it looks like Duke with $$ is about what those numbers get. Some people got into UVa, Mich, Penn... but those seem similar. Do you like Duke? Is there any reason you wouldn't go? And do you know what you'd do in that year off?

Disclaimer: not sure how the URM thing works in your case. Does your undergrad have a prelaw dean you can ask about this?

splinter23x

Postby splinter23x » Mon May 03, 2010 5:32 pm

idiothek wrote:1. I don't know, that's precisely what I was asking. I read all over TLS the job market isn't very good right now and maybe a year of waiting would help the market recover?

The economy is solid right now. It could definitely get worse in the next couple years once the stimulus runs out, inflation picks up, and interest rates rise (they cant stay at zero for eternity). I wouldn't bank on an improved economy, if that's your sole reason for waiting it should be discarded.
idiothek wrote:2. My application package wouldn't be very different. I would just send it in a lot earlier, but I hear this makes a great difference.

I doubt it makes that big a difference. Duke is a great school and with money this is definitely yes. What if by fluke your LSAT score goes down the second time, and then you can't even get into Duke next year? (unless Duke lets you defer, which i also doubt). Go to Duke now.

idiothek

Postby idiothek » Mon May 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks for your input, everyone. Yeah I'm in a great position with that Duke offer and I'll most likely be at Duke come August. However, I'll ride my newly acquired Columbia waitlist for a while into the summer :P .

Return to “Choosing a Law School”