If you are unsure... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chunkystrohs

New

If you are unsure...

Post by chunkystrohs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:04 pm

With no location preference, if you don't know what you want to do after law school, should you:

Go to the most prestigious school you get into in order to have the most opportunities available to you?

Or

Go to a school that gives you a big scholarship so you aren't tied down by debt after graduation?

For example, go to a school ranked around 10-14 at sticker price, or go to a school around 20ish with a nice scholarship?

Thank you for your help

holydonkey

Silver

Re: If you are unsure...

Post by holydonkey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:05 pm

depends on the schools.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:09 pm

It depends on the schools and the size of the scholarship. It also depends on your level of aversion to risk.

chunkystrohs

New

Post by chunkystrohs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:18 pm

I'll be applying in the fall, so I don't have any specifics. I have a 168 and a 3.7 and no preference for location or anything.

Read that I have a decent chance at Cornell, but any other top 14 would be a stretch. I also read that I would probably get some money at a place like UIUC or WUSTL.

I have lots of time, but was just curious.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:21 pm

You'll get in Cornell if you apply early. Probably Gtown as well. Good shot at NU or Michigan if you ED. You will get money at Illinois and WUSTL. Take NU or Michigan over money at Illinois or WUSTL, unless the cash is really really significant. Full ride or close at WUSTL (which probably won't happen) trumps Cornell and mayyybe Georgetown, imho.
Last edited by holydonkey on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:24 pm

chunkystrohs wrote:I'll be applying in the fall, so I don't have any specifics. I have a 168 and a 3.7 and no preference for location or anything.

Read that I have a decent chance at Cornell, but any other top 14 would be a stretch. I also read that I would probably get some money at a place like UIUC or WUSTL.

This may sound a little harsh, but you should be studying to retake the LSAT, working on your personal statement, and trying to secure solid letters of recommendation. Worry about your choice of schools when you actually have one. At this point, your curiosity is wasted energy.

chunkystrohs

New

Post by chunkystrohs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:31 pm

Not harsh. I respect your advice

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:33 pm

chunkystrohs wrote:I'll be applying in the fall, so I don't have any specifics. I have a 168 and a 3.7 and no preference for location or anything.

Apply to Georgetown part time. You will get in.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Dignan wrote:

This may sound a little harsh, but you should be studying to retake the LSAT, working on your personal statement, and trying to secure solid letters of recommendation. Worry about your choice of schools when you actually have one. At this point, your curiosity is wasted energy.
Retaking a 168 would be a bad move unless OP has a very reasonable belief that s/he could do better. If that is the case, then retake. If not, then don't bother. There are very reasonable opportunities already with those numbers. I would totally agree with the rest of your statement. OP, there is a LOT to be said for the way you come across in your PS, your overall application, and with having strong LORs. It sets you a step above the applicants with similar numbers when you do it right.

As far as where to apply? If you can afford it and/or get enough fee waivers from asking or having them given to you, then apply to several places (I'm talking 15-30 schools) if you really are that undecided in what you want to do. At the end of it, you can then decide what is the best bargain or what is truly important to you. Fwiw, sometimes schools surprise you, especially when you can work in a visit. Just apply to any place you are reasonably interested in. I know I'm a happy person because I don't have to look back wondering what might have been.
Last edited by You Gotta Have Faith on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:37 pm

I agree with the above posters saying that it depends on your levels of ambition, talent, and aversion to risk. You're (obviously) weighing debt against prestige.

FWIW, I consider the following to be break evens:

HYS vs. CCN Full Ride
CCN vs. MVPB $$-$$$
MVPB vs. DN $$ / CG Full Ride
DN vs. UT/UCLA/Vandy $$-$$$
CG vs. UT/UCLA/Vandy $
Below T-17 - wow this is a huge risk ITE (obviously mitigated by schollys, but it's still years and effort you'll never get back).

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Dignan wrote:

I dunno about the LSAT, but the rest of this is TCR.

You look at LSN and there is a big difference between a "good" 168/3.7 and a "bad" 168/3.7. Other than things you can't control, the biggest factor would be applying early, and that means getting your PS/LOR situation rounded out now.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:05 pm

I'd go for prestige for sure. But thats just me with no UG debt.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:49 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote: Retaking a 168 would be a bad move unless OP has a very reasonable belief that s/he could do better.
For the record, I agree with this. If the OP has no reason to think that s/he would improve (e.g, s/he studied a ton and scored at or above the PT average), then it makes sense to stand pat with the 168.

But if, as with most people, there is room for LSAT improvement, then I think a retake is a good idea. Based on what I've observed, the downside of getting a lower score is trivial when compared to the upside of a higher score. Outside of HYSCCN (which the OP isn't getting into anyway with 168/3.7), a lower score on a retake does not appear to hurt an applicant, while a higher score seems to help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”