UNLV vs. UC Hastings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
historyholly

UNLV vs. UC Hastings

Postby historyholly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:54 pm

So here it is. Three days before deposits are due for both UNLV and UC Hastings, UNLV sent me my financial aid package. They are giving me full ride. Hastings only offered me a $7,000 grant. Full ride is awesome, but it has made my life difficult because I already settled on Hastings and massive debt.

Here are my thoughts and any advice would be most welcome. UNLV is only ranked in the 70's, but its legal writing program was ranked third in the nation and 12th for dispute resolution. So the school definitely has some good qualities. Also, I want to practice in Nevada, more specifically in Reno. I have no intention of ever living in California again. Cost of living is way better in the city of sin and I have friends down there.

Hastings is Hastings and is ranked well. They have a health care concentration, which I am considering. San Francisco is awesome.

Debt is a big factor for me as I am already well into the hole from undergrad. I have no idea what I should do.

Nat1018

Re: UNLV vs. UC Hastings

Postby Nat1018 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:10 pm

"Also, I want to practice in Nevada, more specifically in Reno. I have no intention of ever living in California again."

I had to make the same decision...well not exactly the same. I had a full ride at UNLV and I grew up in Vegas but had no intention of practicing in Nevada. So, ultimately, I chose to go elsewhere. If you want to practice in Reno, then I would take the money and run! UNLV owns the Nevada market and there's no need to take out thousands of dollars in loans for Hastings when you don't have to. Good luck!

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:22 pm

You're debt averse, already have UG debt, and know you want to practice in Nevada:

There is no reason to go to Hastings.

Take the full ride at UNLV.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Forget the rankings.

Remember the full ride and where you want to practice.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:49 pm

historyholly wrote:So here it is. Three days before deposits are due for both UNLV and UC Hastings, UNLV sent me my financial aid package. They are giving me full ride. Hastings only offered me a $7,000 grant. Full ride is awesome, but it has made my life difficult because I already settled on Hastings and massive debt.

Here are my thoughts and any advice would be most welcome. UNLV is only ranked in the 70's, but its legal writing program was ranked third in the nation and 12th for dispute resolution. So the school definitely has some good qualities. Also, I want to practice in Nevada, more specifically in Reno. I have no intention of ever living in California again. Cost of living is way better in the city of sin and I have friends down there.

Hastings is Hastings and is ranked well. They have a health care concentration, which I am considering. San Francisco is awesome.

Debt is a big factor for me as I am already well into the hole from undergrad. I have no idea what I should do.

*disclaimer* I'm on the Hastings WL, so I obviously have some interest in this decision. :)

I think the clear answer, like others have suggested, is UNLV. If you want to practice in Nevada, you'll be better served by UNLV, without debt and low COL. There is really no benefit to the high COL in the Bay Area, or the added burden of tuition, if you were to take the Hastings offer.

Past the top 20, and some would argue the top 14 (12?), all schools are largely regional.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:05 pm

missinglink wrote:*disclaimer* I'm on the Hastings WL, so I obviously have some interest in this decision. :)

I think the clear answer, like others have suggested, is UNLV. If you want to practice in Nevada, you'll be better served by UNLV, without debt and low COL. There is really no benefit to the high COL in the Bay Area, or the added burden of tuition, if you were to take the Hastings offer.

Past the top 20, and some would argue the top 14 (12?), all schools are largely regional.

I was going to disclaim that I'm on the Hastings WL too, but this question clearly has one answer.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:14 pm

UNLV either way, but I am curious to know if your scholarship carries a GPA contingency

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:23 pm

I'm going to UNLV so am biased but as others have said, you gotta go where you want to practice, especially when the costs are this lopsided!

Cya there :D

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:10 pm

General Tso wrote:UNLV either way, but I am curious to know if your scholarship carries a GPA contingency

+1

I'm curious too.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Sat May 01, 2010 3:58 am

UNLV's full scholarships have a top 33% requirement. Relatively sure it is the same for all their scholarships.

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Sat May 01, 2010 11:55 am

Thank you everyone for chiming in. This forum has been a great resource. There is a GPA requirement of sorts, I have to stay in the top 33%, but to be honest I am not worried about it. And if i somehow get below that, sticker at UNLV is still a fraction of the cost of Hastings.

So, I think UNLV is the winner.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat May 01, 2010 2:13 pm

historyholly wrote:Thank you everyone for chiming in. This forum has been a great resource. There is a GPA requirement of sorts, I have to stay in the top 33%, but to be honest I am not worried about it. And if i somehow get below that, sticker at UNLV is still a fraction of the cost of Hastings.

So, I think UNLV is the winner.

yeah even if you lose it, you still got 1 year free. But read the Arrow guide and other TLS approaches to good grades. It's not that hard to stay in the top 33% if you study smart.

yo!

Postby yo! » Sat May 01, 2010 2:49 pm

I was in a pretty similar situation and started a thread about it a few weeks ago. I think the best way for me to help is to link my thread. Most of the things that people said are are probably applicable to you as well. Best of luck with your decision!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=114144

EDIT: I didn't read your entire post, so I missed the fact that you wanted to work in Nevada permanently. My situation was a little bit different because I wanted to work in NorCal. If I were you, I would take the full ride at UNLV without hesitation.

Postby 20160810 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:24 pm

This isn't even close. Have fun in Vegas.

I'd also argue that as the only law school in Nevada, UNLV enjoys as isolation-from-competition bonus that makes it a little better than its ranking.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat May 01, 2010 6:55 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:This isn't even close. Have fun in Vegas.

I'd also argue that as the only law school in Nevada, UNLV enjoys as isolation-from-competition bonus that makes it a little better than its ranking.

This will probably be more and more true over time, but since UNLV's law school is relatively new, a lot of the older lawyers in NV are mostly from CA and surrounding states. So there might be a little more out of state competition than usual for NV. But all in all there's no question UNLV is the right choice for OP.

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Sun May 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks to everyone that joined in the discussion. I sent my deposit in this morning to UNLV. :)

Nancy Rapoport

Postby Nancy Rapoport » Sat May 08, 2010 9:00 am

That's good news--UNLV is happy to have you!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”