UCLA (in-state tuition) v. Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pinkhearts

UCLA (in-state tuition) v. Cornell

Postby pinkhearts » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:03 am

I am trying to decide between Cornell and UCLA. UCLA is cheaper because I am in-state and receiving a marginal amount of money, Cornell would be at sticker. I would like to make a run for biglaw and clerkships, grades permitting. I am at not married to either coast and would be willing to follow the jobs. Do you go with Cornell and the point-whoring urge, or is UCLA a wise and rational decision? I've been looking at this for too long to know objectively know. Thank you in advance for your guidance!

BLAKE_REMKUS

Re: UCLA (in-state tuition) v. Cornell

Postby BLAKE_REMKUS » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:08 am

UCLA

What part of California do you live in?

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:14 am

Question with Cost of living figured in is ucla that much cheaper cause I would think la is way more expensive than Ithaca

IMO Cornell gives you the best shot at big law so I would just go for it either way unless u have like a full ride to ucla

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:14 am

I'm in the south bay, so really close to UCLA

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:15 am

pinkhearts wrote:I am trying to decide between Cornell and UCLA. UCLA is cheaper because I am in-state and receiving a marginal amount of money, Cornell would be at sticker. I would like to make a run for biglaw and clerkships, grades permitting. I am at not married to either coast and would be willing to follow the jobs. Do you go with Cornell and the point-whoring urge, or is UCLA a wise and rational decision? I've been looking at this for too long to know objectively know. Thank you in advance for your guidance!

Overall employment is better at Cornell by a little, but as you probably know each school is more dominant on their respective coasts. So if you have any preference for a coast whatsoever, pick that coast. If you're just going for overall jobs, probably Cornell. Keep in mind that UCLA in state tuition is going to be pretty close to Cornell tuition and that COL at Cornell is cheaper.

BLAKE_REMKUS

Postby BLAKE_REMKUS » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:20 am

upstate New York vs. Southern California. To me it seems an easy choice, but I am not living in nor have I been to either place. And maybe you feel compelled to venture out of L.A. It doesn't come down to the "numbers" so much as where you want to be and where you want to be practicing law in the future. Is this a false bipolar, or simply your only two feasible options?

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:21 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
pinkhearts wrote:I am trying to decide between Cornell and UCLA. UCLA is cheaper because I am in-state and receiving a marginal amount of money, Cornell would be at sticker. I would like to make a run for biglaw and clerkships, grades permitting. I am at not married to either coast and would be willing to follow the jobs. Do you go with Cornell and the point-whoring urge, or is UCLA a wise and rational decision? I've been looking at this for too long to know objectively know. Thank you in advance for your guidance!

Overall employment is better at Cornell by a little, but as you probably know each school is more dominant on their respective coasts. So if you have any preference for a coast whatsoever, pick that coast. If you're just going for overall jobs, probably Cornell. Keep in mind that UCLA in state tuition is going to be pretty close to Cornell tuition and that COL at Cornell is cheaper.

I think the ASD said in-state will be 40/45/50, so by year three it will pretty much be the same as Cornell at 51 :-\

BLAKE_REMKUS

Postby BLAKE_REMKUS » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:23 am

Irvine or UCLA would be my top picks from the research and dreaming I have done. I say screw Cornell and choose UCLA.
Maybe I am judging Cornell but it seems like the lamest Ivy League School.
pinkhearts wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

I think the ASD said in-state will be 40/45/50, so by year three it will pretty much be the same as Cornell at 51 :-\

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:30 am

BLAKE_REMKUS wrote:Irvine or UCLA would be my top picks from the research and dreaming I have done. I say screw Cornell and choose UCLA.
pinkhearts wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

Cornell is prolly the lamest ivy league school but that's like being the lamest Porsche it's still pretty cool I think the tuition is probably a wash with COL and the Cornell brand will hold up better than ucla ite if just by a bit besides Cali's economy sucks even worse than the rest of the country right now

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:33 am

Is this a real question - UCLA, unquestionably.

BLAKE_REMKUS

Postby BLAKE_REMKUS » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 am

I would like to know if there are potential alternatives for you.

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:38 am

BLAKE_REMKUS wrote:I would like to know if there are potential alternatives for you.

idk, i haven't been really following the deposit deadlines very closely, i had usc and hastings. still waiting on stanford lol, but not holding my breath on that one. i am already a reapp also, if that makes any difference.

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:40 am

scionb4 wrote:Is this a real question - UCLA, unquestionably.

UCLA was nice when I was there, but don't I potentially give up a lot of big law?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:43 am

pinkhearts wrote:
BLAKE_REMKUS wrote:I would like to know if there are potential alternatives for you.

idk, i haven't been really following the deposit deadlines very closely, i had usc and hastings. still waiting on stanford lol, but not holding my breath on that one. i am already a reapp also, if that makes any difference.

Here's something you might need to think about. Since you're living near LA right now, you already have ties to California, so going to Cornell might open doors for you on both coasts.

USC/UCLA are pretty close, so that's a preference issue, but I still say Cornell is a good option. Cornell definitely does better with big law. In this economy Cornell had like 8% more placement into the NLJ 250. When the economy was doing well Cornell had 20% more placement into the NLJ 250.

BLAKE_REMKUS

Postby BLAKE_REMKUS » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:43 am

Davis might be cool. How is Sac?
pinkhearts wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Is this a real question - UCLA, unquestionably.

UCLA was nice when I was there, but don't I potentially give up a lot of big law?

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:08 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
pinkhearts wrote:

Here's something you might need to think about. Since you're living near LA right now, you already have ties to California, so going to Cornell might open doors for you on both coasts.

USC/UCLA are pretty close, so that's a preference issue, but I still say Cornell is a good option. Cornell definitely does better with big law. In this economy Cornell had like 8% more placement into the NLJ 250. When the economy was doing well Cornell had 20% more placement into the NLJ 250.

Thanks so much for your input. I do sort of have an urge to move, and so it's good to have employment statistics to back up my wanderlust. Based on what I've been reading, I could probably even come back, but probs not leave from UCLA.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:17 pm

pinkhearts wrote:Thanks so much for your input. I do sort of have an urge to move, and so it's good to have employment statistics to back up my wanderlust. Based on what I've been reading, I could probably even come back, but probs not leave from UCLA.

That's pretty much right. CA ties will probably help you at Cornell if you want to go back. UCLA will probably tie you there. If you are 100% deadset on CA, you should go to UCLA. If you want BigLaw and would be willing to possible work in NYC, go to Cornell.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:08 pm

BLAKE_REMKUS wrote:Irvine or UCLA would be my top picks from the research and dreaming I have done. I say screw Cornell and choose UCLA.
pinkhearts wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:

what makes you think cornell's tuition will remain stagnant?

in all likelihood, it'll be 51, 55, 60

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Overall employment is better at Cornell by a little, but as you probably know each school is more dominant on their respective coasts. So if you have any preference for a coast whatsoever, pick that coast. If you're just going for overall jobs, probably Cornell. Keep in mind that UCLA in state tuition is going to be pretty close to Cornell tuition and that COL at Cornell is cheaper.[/quote]

I think the ASD said in-state will be 40/45/50, so by year three it will pretty much be the same as Cornell at 51 :-\[/quote][/quote]

what makes you think cornell's tuition will remain stagnant?

in all likelihood, it'll be 51, 55, 60[/quote]

:shock: has anybody heard anything to substantiate that? they didn't seem to make it sound trending upward at ASD, but that just could me being hopeful?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:31 pm

pinkhearts wrote: :shock: has anybody heard anything to substantiate that? they didn't seem to make it sound trending upward at ASD, but that just could me being hopeful?

people almost always cite the UC systems tuition hikes, but most of the T14 has always had higher tuition. What they're doing is more catching up to other schools than anything

Cornell's tuition
2006: 35,280
2007: 39,690
2008: 42,683
2009: 48,950
2010: 51,150

an increase of 4k-6k a year seems typical

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:38 pm

f0bolous wrote:
pinkhearts wrote: :shock: has anybody heard anything to substantiate that? they didn't seem to make it sound trending upward at ASD, but that just could me being hopeful?

people almost always cite the UC systems tuition hikes, but most of the T14 has always had higher tuition. What they're doing is more catching up to other schools than anything

Cornell's tuition

HOLY CRAP!!!
Not about the cost itself so much as the inflation.
How does a school justify a 40+% hike in 5 years!!!

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:09 pm

reverendt wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Cornell's tuition

HOLY CRAP!!!
Not about the cost itself so much as the inflation.
How does a school justify a 40+% hike in 5 years!!!

Almost every school has done this.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”