QU v. RWU ($$$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AmandaSwift

QU v. RWU ($$$$)

Postby AmandaSwift » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:24 pm

I'm prepared to get a lot of flack for this because I know how these schools are viewed here. However, it's between RWU full scholly and Quinnipiac at sticker. Please be gentle. :?

I'm from MA and I plan on working in Providence or Boston - most likely in government.

Other than take a year off and retake, which should I choose?

Big Tuna

Re: QU v. RWU ($$$$)

Postby Big Tuna » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:17 am

Last edited by Big Tuna on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmandaSwift

Postby AmandaSwift » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:08 am

BC was my top choice, but I didn't get in. :(

GPA: 3.7
LSAT: 158

edit: I really would like to start law school in the fall. As much as I would like to retake and try BC again, I don't think it's worth another agonizing year of studying and waiting.
Last edited by AmandaSwift on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:16 am

no Northeastern? Suffolk? They are both far superior options than either RWU or QU.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:17 am

Seems like those #'s should have gotten you into Northeastern or at least Suffolk. I'd take Northeastern @ sticker over RWU full ride, but b/t the two you have listed, I'd go with the free ride @ RWU. At least RWU is the only law school in RI.

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:20 am

Last edited by Big Tuna on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmandaSwift

Postby AmandaSwift » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:21 am

I didn't get into Northeastern. I got into Suffolk, but @ sticker + COL in Boston = way more debt than I'd have if I chose QU..

AmandaSwift

Postby AmandaSwift » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:23 am

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am leaning toward RWU because it would really nice to finish up school with zero debt. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being blinded by that.

AmandaSwift

Postby AmandaSwift » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:29 pm

Big Tuna wrote:It's a tough choice. With that GPA even a slightly higher LSAT would definitely give you a good shot at BC, but I can definitiely understand not wanting to wait another year if you have already mentally set on going this fall.

With that being said, I think if you are going to choose between Quinnipiac and RWU, I would take the money and go to RWU for free. They have roughly equal reputation in Boston and I would think RWU has more sway in RI than Quinnipiac though to be honest I don't know. If you do really well you can try to transfer up to BC after 1L anyway, but if you are limited to Tier 3 and 4 schools then you are best off saving your money.

HTH

Thanks again for the advice. Do you really think it would be possible to transfer from RWU to BC?? Has that ever been done before? How high in the class do you think I would have to be?

I know, I know, it's never a good idea to go to a school with the intentions of transferring, so I'm not. But, if I had the grades, would BC even be in the realm of possibility??

Big Tuna

Postby Big Tuna » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:37 pm

Last edited by Big Tuna on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:39 pm

What's the class rank stipulation on the Roger Williams scholarship, I'm guessing there is one.

AmandaSwift

Postby AmandaSwift » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:16 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:What's the class rank stipulation on the Roger Williams scholarship, I'm guessing there is one.

top 1/3

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:19 pm

AmandaSwift wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:What's the class rank stipulation on the Roger Williams scholarship, I'm guessing there is one.

top 1/3

Woah, thats a pretty steep stipulation, I wouldn't count on that money. How long did you study for the lsat before you took it?

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:22 pm

AmandaSwift wrote:

top 1/3

Retake/reapply.

1. With your GPA you don't need that many more points to get into a significantly better school.

2. There's a good chance you lose that scholarship

3. Search Roger Williams Law on "Ripoffreport.com"

Seriously, I know it sucks waiting. But, it's unquestionably the correct long term decision.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:23 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
AmandaSwift wrote:

top 1/3

Retake/reapply.

1. With your GPA you don't need that many more points to get into a significantly better school.

2. There's a good chance you lose that scholarship

3. Search Roger Williams Law on "Ripoffreport.com"

Seriously, I know it sucks waiting. But, it's unquestionably the correct long term decision.

Such a TLS reply, but what can I say +1

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Teoeo wrote:Such a TLS reply, but what can I say +1

lol, what did you expect man. Did you see the embarrassing atrocity that is my post count. I can't even look at myself in the mirror this is so shameful.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:31 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Teoeo wrote:Such a TLS reply, but what can I say +1

lol, what did you expect man. Did you see the embarrassing atrocity that is my post count. I can't even look at myself in the mirror this is so shameful.

lol, I went to ripoffreport.com btw, and that was pretty scary..., OP I suggest you do the same.

AmandaSwift

Postby AmandaSwift » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:45 pm

Teoeo wrote:
AmandaSwift wrote:

top 1/3

Woah, thats a pretty steep stipulation, I wouldn't count on that money. How long did you study for the lsat before you took it?

Really? I don't think they reasses until the end of 1L. I mean what do I know as a lowly 0L, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to be in the top 1/3. My numbers are much higher than their medians and I'm sure I will study my butt off, doesn't that count for anything?
Perhaps I'm naive, but I'd be pretty surprised if I was lower than the top 1/4. Oh, and I studied for about 2, maybe 3 months before I took the lsat.

& to H20man: Thanks for the advice, but I really would just like to start school asap. I've read the ripoff report, but aren't there disgruntled students from every school? I don't know, maybe I just don't want to believe it. Ok, so say I don't retake (which I really dont want to), are you saying I should choose QU @ sticker?

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:53 pm

The fact that your numbers are above median are no guarantee of finishing top 1/3. Also, consider the possibility that they place all their students with your scholarship (and thus also above median) in the same section so that you are all competing, do you still feel confident about your chances? Do you have any compelling reason not to wait a year other than that you just don't feel like it? This is a choice that will change your entire life!

P.S. remember that your chances of NOT staying in the top third of the class are 66.6 percent

modestsquirrel

Postby modestsquirrel » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:03 pm

AmandaSwift wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
AmandaSwift wrote:

top 1/3

Really? I don't think they reasses until the end of 1L. I mean what do I know as a lowly 0L, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to be in the top 1/3. My numbers are much higher than their medians and I'm sure I will study my butt off, doesn't that count for anything?
Perhaps I'm naive, but I'd be pretty surprised if I was lower than the top 1/4. Oh, and I studied for about 2, maybe 3 months before I took the lsat.

& to H20man: Thanks for the advice, but I really would just like to start school asap. I've read the ripoff report, but aren't there disgruntled students from every school? I don't know, maybe I just don't want to believe it. Ok, so say I don't retake (which I really dont want to), are you saying I should choose QU @ sticker?

No, he is saying retake the LSAT. You have a good chance of losing your scholarship (due to the horrible cuve there) and being stuck at a law school with terrible career prospects. Don't piss away a great GPA by being lazy or over anxious to go to law school. This is the biggest decision of your life. Retake the LSAT and save your money and work for a year. I know people who went to far better law schools with 200k in debt and are jobless. Be smart.

AmandaSwift

Postby AmandaSwift » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:34 pm

modestsquirrel wrote:No, he is saying retake the LSAT. You have a good chance of losing your scholarship (due to the horrible cuve there) and being stuck at a law school with terrible career prospects. Don't piss away a great GPA by being lazy or over anxious to go to law school. This is the biggest decision of your life. Retake the LSAT and save your money and work for a year. I know people who went to far better law schools with 200k in debt and are jobless. Be smart.

Yeah, I got that part of it, thanks. I was just curious which would be the lesser of two evils.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:44 pm

AmandaSwift wrote:
Teoeo wrote:
AmandaSwift wrote:

top 1/3

I searched my school and oddly enough there were no hits on ripoffreport....those disgruntled students must just be in hiding.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”