Whittier ($) vs. Thomas Jefferson ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
earnestbicyclist

Whittier ($) vs. Thomas Jefferson ($$)

Postby earnestbicyclist » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:28 pm

I have tuition deposits due really soon and I am still having trouble deciding…

-Thomas Jefferson is offering a $14,000/yr scholarship, renewable if I remain in the top 30% of my class.

-Whittier is offering less (about $3,500). It is not renewable. They offer 2nd year scholarships that are top 5% = full scholarship, top 10% = 3/4 scholarship, top 15% = ½ scholarship, top 20% = ¼ scholarship.

I’m also waitlisted for California Western, so I have my fingers crossed with a LOCI sent out to them. I’m also waiting to hear back from Golden Gate and hope to get in.

As of now, I’m planning to put down my $400 deposit for Thomas Jefferson. I’m thinking TJ isn’t as recognizable as Whittier, but that the cheaper tuition would make up for whatever minimal difference there is in reputation between schools.

Comments, concerns? I know these are all T4, so I’d appreciate any advice that isn’t mean-hearted.

pugalicious

Re: Whittier ($) vs. Thomas Jefferson ($$)

Postby pugalicious » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:45 pm

I'd pick Jefferson. Decent scholarship AND location is nice (San Diego!). I guess it depends on which part of CA you'd prefer to end up, but it might work out slightly better for you in San Diego where there are only 2 law schools, vs. the Los Angeles area, which has tons of law schools (and pulls from higher-ranked schools nationally as well). Just my opinion, though (0L, so take with a grain of salt)

earnestbicyclist

Re: Whittier ($) vs. Thomas Jefferson ($$)

Postby earnestbicyclist » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks Pugalicious! I’m thinking along the same lines. I visited all of these schools, and I’m pretty sure that I would prefer San Diego over the OC. That’s a good point, the LA area is saturated with schools and Orange County doesn’t seem to have very much to offer in job prospects anyways.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”