In-state UW vs. out-of-state UC Davis

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheCheerfulPessimist

In-state UW vs. out-of-state UC Davis

Postby TheCheerfulPessimist » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:48 pm

I was pretty sure I was going to UW until I found an acceptance letter to UC Davis in the mail when I returned home from vacation today. I'm in-state, so UW is a great deal. I'm also very familiar with the area, so I know I'll be comfortable going to UW.

UC Davis is much more expensive, but I read it's possible to get in-state tuition after a year. (Can anyone confirm this?) Also, I've been dreaming of moving to California for over a decade, as I absolutely despise Seattle weather with a passion.

I'd rather not get "stuck" in the Pacific Northwest if I can help it, but I'm wondering if the job prospects in NoCal are good enough to compensate for the high tuition. I'm also worried that my husband might not be able to find a job near Davis as easily as he would in Seattle.

Any insight is appreciated.

martin024

Re: In-state UW vs. out-of-state UC Davis

Postby martin024 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:10 pm

If it were me, I'd go with UW, but I haven't had a chance to experience the weather...If it weren't for your husband I'd say it would be a tossup considering your preferences, but with him in the picture I'd say you'd be much better off in Seattle. It's definitely a portable degree for the west coast.

Edit: and in-state tuition is SUCH good value for UW.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:38 pm

First, yes, it is possible to establish in-state residency in California after your first year.

Second, NorCal weather isn't that different than Seattle weather. The rainy season ends a month earlier and starts a month later down here; overall, though, the climates are similar: cool wet winters and warm summers.

One more thing: I think Davis is unpleasantly hot in the summer. I'd rather be in Seattle.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:44 pm

It's very easy to gain residency in CA. Also, Sac is pretty close to Davis, so your husband could always look for work there if he's up for a bit of a commute. UW is still a great deal though. I guess it really comes down to whether the money or location is more important to you.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Sure, UW is way cheaper, but it sounds like you want to move.

I would've loved to have had this dilemma so I could try to convince SO to deal with Seattle weather (which I might prefer). For what it's worth: in at Davis, rejected at UW ... so maybe I'm bitter.

And as to above post about weather being same ... Davis/Sac weather is substantially sunnier/warmer than Seattle. I don't care to re-look up the info from NOAA on this. But suffice to say that I did, spreadsheet and all, for like 8 cities/regions, b/c my SO is really crazy about weather. And based on that data, Davis/Sac (norCal in general) is among the sunniest (i.e., least cloudy) parts of our great country.

Davis also has pretty great job prospects, all across state (San Francisco is its 2nd biggest market). Though given state/regional competition, I'd imagine that UW plays better in Washington than Davis does in California.

EDIT: Here's cloudy/clear data (LinkRemoved). It's 8 years old. But, close enough. ... Sac = 188 days clear, 77 partly cloudy and 100 cloudy. Seattle: 71, 93 & 201.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:08 pm

*Full disclosure, I am pending at Davis an waitlisted at UW (which is my top choice), so I'd be lying if i said my responding wasn't influenced by self interest*

As someone who lives in Sacramento, I can tell you that Northern California is definitely different weather than Seattle (I have family there and visit frequently). I'm actually partial to Seattle gloom, but if you want sunshine this is the place to be. In-state tution in California can be had within a year, and although Davis would still be the more expensive option of the two options, I'm under the impression that COL here is slightly lower. Also, my understanding is that if you ultimately want to move to California, Davis will most certainly set you in a better position than UW to pursue positions throughout Northern California and the Bay Area. Given that Sacramento is within 15 minutes of Davis, which gives you both the option of living in a reasonably sized city, and stronger employment opportunities for your spouse (depending on his field, of course). If you have any more specific questions about the area let me know, I can definitely give you some insight.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:18 pm

This thread actually boggles my mind. I know everyone has their preferences, but who in their right mind would 1) choose the Sacramento area over one of the objectively nicest places to live in this country and 2) would pass up UW for Davis anyway, let alone w/ in state tuition.

Pay no attention to the rankings in this regard. UW has a way better reputation that Davis outside of CA.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:32 pm

A'nold wrote:This thread actually boggles my mind. I know everyone has their preferences, but who in their right mind would 1) choose the Sacramento area over one of the objectively nicest places to live in this country and 2) would pass up UW for Davis anyway, let alone w/ in state tuition.

Pay no attention to the rankings in this regard. UW has a way better reputation that Davis outside of CA.

Well. I agree that the OP shouldn't give much weight to the rankings, but if you're trying to get a job on the East Coast or something, I'm not sure that UW has a "way better" reputation than UC Davis. They're both strong regional schools whose graduates will struggle to find jobs in markets that are outside the West Coast.

Although my personal preferences are like Anold's (i.e., I would choose UW over Davis in a heartbeat), I think that a reasonable person could choose Davis, particularly if their goal is to land a job in Northern California.

TheCheerfulPessimist

Postby TheCheerfulPessimist » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

I visited the Sacramento area about 10 years ago and have been wanting to move away to Cali ever since. There are a lot of people who think Seattle is Heaven on Earth, but the gray skies that hang low like a ceiling for months on end just depress the hell out of me. Who cares is the city is great if the weather is so crappy that you never want to be outside? (Except for 2 or 3 months in summer.)

How is the standard of living in Davis/Sacramento? (I remember it being pretty good, but that was 10 years ago, after all.) I wouldn't mind taking a slight hit in standard of living as long as the weather is nice enough that I can enjoy being outside. I also wouldn't mind taking out more loans if the job prospects are as good as in Seattle.

As for where I really want to work, Northern California isn't necessarily my first choice, but I'd definitely choose it over anywhere in the Pacific Northwest and I'd rather be "stuck" there than here. The fact that I have family and friends nearby makes it a little hard to leave Seattle, but I'm tired of spending every winter 10 lbs fatter and pissed off about the weather.

Well, I just forked over the first deposit to Davis, so I guess I have a little more time to think about it. Thanks for all the advice!

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:50 pm

As for where I really want to work, Northern California isn't necessarily my first choice, but I'd definitely choose it over anywhere in the Pacific Northwest and I'd rather be "stuck" there than here.

That's a pretty good reason to pick Davis.

I strongly encourage you to come down and visit before you make your choice. I, and probably most other people, prefer Seattle to Davis or Sacramento. I don't think you're crazy for feeling differently, but you should spend a couple days in Davis/Sacramento just to make sure that your impressions from 10 years ago are still valid for you.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:56 pm

The weather in Seattle is awesome. The rain is refreshing and the summers are nothing but sunny days filled with great views of Mt. Rainier, the Sound, the Cascades, the Olympics, Lake Washington, etc. UW's campus is gorgeous and Davis' is like a high school. By more well respected out of its region, I meant that UW covers more territory, not that it has national prospects. I wouldn't be surprised to see that UW could place decently in San Fran w/ grades similar to those needed to do so from Davis, plus UW completely owns all of the NW and reaches into the Mt. West.

To each his/her own. :wink:

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:01 pm

A'nold wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see that UW could place decently in San Fran w/ grades similar to those needed to do so from Davis

orly? O.Oa

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:02 pm

eth3n wrote:
A'nold wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see that UW could place decently in San Fran w/ grades similar to those needed to do so from Davis

orly? O.Oa

You don't think top 10% gets you a firm job in San Fran from UW?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:03 pm

A'nold wrote:The weather in Seattle is awesome. The rain is refreshing and the summers are nothing but sunny days filled with great views of Mt. Rainier, the Sound, the Cascades, the Olympics, Lake Washington, etc. UW's campus is gorgeous and Davis' is like a high school. By more well respected out of its region, I meant that UW covers more territory, not that it has national prospects. I wouldn't be surprised to see that UW could place decently in San Fran w/ grades similar to those needed to do so from Davis plus UW completely owns all of the NW and reaches into the Mt. West.

That might be true. In fairness, though, UW grads have to seek out work in SF (and LA) because they're just not that many law jobs in Seattle. And if the OP really does like Sacramento, and if he/she has any interest in doing California PI work there, then UC Davis would be much better than UW. (Plus, I think that UCD has a significantly better LRAP than UW.)

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:05 pm

A'nold wrote:
eth3n wrote:

orly? O.Oa

You don't think top 10% gets you a firm job in San Fran from UW?

I am just hoping top10% isn't what I need to "place decently" in SF from Davis :)

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Oh yeah, and I agree that this decision is "the right thing" for op, but once again I am just perplexed that that is so, haha.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:08 am

TheCheerfulPessimist wrote:I was pretty sure I was going to UW until ...

This is a no brainer. UW.
Do you know how expensive tuition at UC Davis will be for your 3L year?

TheCheerfulPessimist

Postby TheCheerfulPessimist » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:49 am

Actually, I can qualify for in-state residency after the first year at Davis. But yes, it's a lot more expensive. The ranking and job opportunities appear to be about the same, given that Seattle is such a small legal market, but correct me if I'm wrong. I guess it all comes down to:

Taking on a lot more debt to go to school in a place I'd be happy living after graduation

VS.

Minimizing the debt and risk getting stuck in the same place I've been trying to leave for a decade

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:19 pm

You can get in-state but it will be way more expensive than UW's in-state.

seattlite

Postby seattlite » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:30 pm

TheCheerfulPessimist wrote:Actually, I can qualify for in-state residency after the first year at Davis. But yes, it's a lot more expensive. The ranking and job opportunities appear to be about the same, given that Seattle is such a small legal market, but correct me if I'm wrong. I guess it all comes down to:

Taking on a lot more debt to go to school in a place I'd be happy living after graduation

VS.

Minimizing the debt and risk getting stuck in the same place I've been trying to leave for a decade

I think you should go with UC Davis. You have made it pretty clear that you don't like Seattle, and UW is primarily a regional school (albeit a really strong regional school in the NW). You indicated above that you believe going to UW will cause you to "risk getting stuck in the same place I've been trying to leave for a decade". Those words indicate a pretty strong sentiment of negative feelings toward the city / region where UW dominates. LS is supposed to be a time of fresh-starts, and I don't think it is wise to go to a regional LS with the hopes of moving to another region immediately after graduation unless you have ties (and, hopefully, strong ties) to that other region. It sounds like you don't have ties to CA but rather just a desire to move there. As such, based on this and the fact that performance in LS is at least somewhat tied to your mental state of mind and happiness quotient, I would recommend that you seriously consider going to UC Davis since I don't think you will be happy at UW. There is more to be considered in choosing a LS than rankings...QOL (which is unique and individual for everyone) is a serious consideration.

That is just my 2 cents. Hope you are having a great day! :)

davis3l

Postby davis3l » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:37 pm

eth3n wrote:

orly? O.Oa

LOL that was exactly my reaction. I usually ignore most random comments on this site, but this one, plus "UW has a way better reputation than Davis outside CA," were particularly funny.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Dignan wrote:As for where I really want to work, Northern California isn't necessarily my first choice, but I'd definitely choose it over anywhere in the Pacific Northwest and I'd rather be "stuck" there than here.

See you at Davis, then.

I'm pretty sure if I had the choice, I'd go UW over Davis. I tend to like it a little cooler, and rain/clouds don't bother me. And I'd rather run around the natural beauty of the PNW than that offered in norCal (as considerable as it is).

But definitely in Davis' favor: When you wear out of going to Sacramento for jollies, a train&bart ride to San Francisco is about $50-$60 roundtrip; little less than 2 hours each way.

And I don't know if this answers the UW v. Davis in SF question, but the fact that Davis has 9x more grads working than UW's 55 ... it's certain that you're way better off going to Davis if you're shooting for SF. Of course, a lot of UW grads would surely prefer to stick around the PNW. But ... (Sorry about including Seattle U. I don't know how to search so good.)

You'll also see from above link that while a plurality of Davis grads do work in Sacramento offices, there's plenty of 'em employed up and down the state.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:56 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
Dignan wrote:As for where I really want to work, Northern California isn't necessarily my first choice, but I'd definitely choose it over anywhere in the Pacific Northwest and I'd rather be "stuck" there than here.

See you at Davis, then.

Just to be clear, you were quoting TheCheerfulPessimist, not me. (I'm heading to a UC law school, but not the one in Davis.)

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:46 pm

davis3l wrote:
eth3n wrote:

orly? O.Oa

LOL that was exactly my reaction. I usually ignore most random comments on this site, but this one, plus "UW has a way better reputation than Davis outside CA," were particularly funny.

FWIW, I actually have a family member, who works for a big firm in the Bay Area, who said that UW would probably be regarded as on par, if not slightly better than, Davis at most biglaw firms in the Bay Area. Gven that the Bay Area is Davis' home market, that indicates to me that UW probably has a stronger overall reputation. Also, I have heard from current students at UW that many people have had better luck getting biglaw jobs in CA than in Seattle, just because there are relatively few biglaw jobs in Seattle, and everyone at UW wants those jobs, along with many T14 graduates.

The NLJ 250 rates also favor UW: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202443758843&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1
For the class of 2009 UW had 19.8% of graduates employed at NLJ 250 firms, while Davis had 16.7%. This difference is relatively small, but when you consider that Davis is located right next to the biggest west coast legal market, I think it is pretty significant. if the schools were equally well regarded, Davis should place many more students in big firms since there are many more of those jobs to be had in the location where most of their graduates want to practice.

On top of all of that, with projected tuition increases, even in-state tuition at Davis will be almost twice as much as in-state at UW.

To the OP: IMO, you are crazy to choose Davis over UW. You will probably regret it and wish you had 100k in debt rather than 200k. You will probably also realize that you miss Seattle and want to move back after three years. But really, I guess UW isn't a much better option, since you will probably not realize how awesome Seattle is and how nice it is to live near your family and friends unless you leave.

Sorry to sound so negative. Good luck! UW and UCD are both great schools. The Bay Area and the Sacramento area are both pretty nice, I grew up there, and that area would be my second choice of where to live after the NW. I personally prefer the weather in Seattle, but if you like the milder winters and hotter summers, then Sacramento or the South Bay will suit you well. You probably won't like the weather in San Francisco if you end up working there, its foggy, cold, and windy 10 months out of the year; the summers are actually quite a bit cooler than Seattle.

Postby 20160810 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:52 pm

A'nold wrote:This thread actually boggles my mind. I know everyone has their preferences, but who in their right mind would 1) choose the Sacramento area over one of the objectively nicest places to live in this country and 2) would pass up UW for Davis anyway, let alone w/ in state tuition.

I bolded part and was going to make a reply about, you know, people who have families here. But then I decided that the entire post is pulled out of your ass, so I'm not going to respond rationally.

It comes down to this:
1.) Do you want to work in Washington?
2.) Do you want to work in California?

Choose accordingly.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”