American University or William & Mary?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
danieltorrey

American University or William & Mary?

Postby danieltorrey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in a bit of a conundrum, I need your help in order to choose between American University and The College of William & Mary for law school.
Basically, my dilemma has to do with my background. I am a foreign attorney graduated in a civil law country; I wish to get a JD degree from a U.S. law school in order to have two countries in which I can practice law, in this way, I wish to focus on transnational/international/comparative law because those are the areas of the law where having two nation's bars (one civil law, the other common law) would make me "special" to employers.
So here we go, if I need to chose between American University, which is ranked 45th overall, and W & M, which is ranked 28th, which one should I pick? It would seem that W & M is the obvious choice (better ranked, cheaper, cheaper cost of living etc.). BUT, American University is ranked 8th nationwide on international law, and W & M is not even top 10.

So I guess, the point at issue is, which is more valuable, graduating from a school better ranked overall or better ranked in the specific field in which one wants to practice?

What do you guys (and gals) think?

Cheers.

webbylu87

Re: American University or William & Mary?

Postby webbylu87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Scholarships?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:35 pm

W&M, don't pay any attention to specialty rankings.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:37 pm

The specialty rankings mean relatively little, if not nothing at all. Yeah, American stresses I-Law, which means there are more classes to take/professors with an interest in I-Law, but the William & Mary name will go farther and it still has plenty of courses on the subject. Definitely W&M IMO.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:38 pm

WM >>>>> American. The disparity between American and WM is more than the rankings would suggest.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:40 pm

Blindmelon wrote:WM >>>>> American. The disparity between American and WM is more than the rankings would suggest.

Agreed with all of the above. But the OP is an international student and finances are a little more difficult in their situation. These can't be ignored and need to play a central role in the OP's decision.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:46 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:WM >>>>> American. The disparity between American and WM is more than the rankings would suggest.

Agreed with all of the above. But the OP is an international student and finances are a little more difficult in their situation. These can't be ignored and need to play a central role in the OP's decision.

Isn't that another plus on the W&M side?

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:48 pm

bk1 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

Possibly but what I mean is that international students can't take out federal loans without a US co-signer. They may need loans from their home country. It's MUCH more complicated for international students to finance a law degree and therefore the OP may need to take the LS with the larger scholarship depending on his/her financial circumstances. I agree though that W&M is the better investment and the better choice if the OP can afford it.

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:08 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

Possibly but what I mean is that international students can't take out federal loans without a US co-signer. They may need loans from their home country. It's MUCH more complicated for international students to finance a law degree and therefore the OP may need to take the LS with the larger scholarship depending on his/her financial circumstances. I agree though that W&M is the better investment and the better choice if the OP can afford it.

I can take federal loans and grants since I am here under a green card, so I am not as concerned about money as to which school would be better for me, foreign attorney seeking to work in international/transnational law. So, even though W & M is not as well known in the international/transnational arena, it still beats American because overall reputation beats specialty reputation? Even if one definitely wants to work in the international law field?

Thank you much to all who replied, its really appreciated.

Cheers.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:17 am

This

A'nold wrote:W&M, don't pay any attention to specialty rankings.

and This

OneKnight wrote:The specialty rankings mean relatively little, if not nothing at all. Yeah, American stresses I-Law, which means there are more classes to take/professors with an interest in I-Law, but the William & Mary name will go farther and it still has plenty of courses on the subject. Definitely W&M IMO.

also this

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:32 pm

superflush wrote:This

and This

OneKnight wrote:The specialty rankings mean relatively little, if not nothing at all. Yeah, American stresses I-Law, which means there are more classes to take/professors with an interest in I-Law, but the William & Mary name will go farther and it still has plenty of courses on the subject. Definitely W&M IMO.

also this

You all made it very clear, thanks!!

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:35 pm

danieltorrey wrote:

and This

also this

I wish all questions were this easy, TLS ftw!

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Teoeo wrote:
danieltorrey wrote:

and This

also this

I wish all questions were this easy, TLS ftw!

Oh, I am sure I have asked some way trickier in other posts hahaha!

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 pm

danieltorrey wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:Possibly but what I mean is that international students can't take out federal loans without a US co-signer. They may need loans from their home country. It's MUCH more complicated for international students to finance a law degree and therefore the OP may need to take the LS with the larger scholarship depending on his/her financial circumstances. I agree though that W&M is the better investment and the better choice if the OP can afford it.

I can take federal loans and grants since I am here under a green card, so I am not as concerned about money as to which school would be better for me, foreign attorney seeking to work in international/transnational law. So, even though W & M is not as well known in the international/transnational arena, it still beats American because overall reputation beats specialty reputation? Even if one definitely wants to work in the international law field?

Cheers.

Then, yes. W&M all the way.

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:37 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
danieltorrey wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:Possibly but what I mean is that international students can't take out federal loans without a US co-signer. They may need loans from their home country. It's MUCH more complicated for international students to finance a law degree and therefore the OP may need to take the LS with the larger scholarship depending on his/her financial circumstances. I agree though that W&M is the better investment and the better choice if the OP can afford it.

Cheers.

Then, yes. W&M all the way.

Alright, thank you much, I am convinced!!

Cheers

Return to “Choosing a Law School”