WUSTL ($) v. W&L ($$) v. Vandy ((1/2)*$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school would you choose to attend?

Vandy ((1/2)*$)
76%
WUSTL ($)
15%
W&L ($$)
9%

Total votes: 86

phitchens

New

WUSTL ($) v. W&L ($$) v. Vandy ((1/2)*$)

Post by phitchens » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:01 pm

I can't decide between WUSTL ($) v. W&L ($$) v. Vandy ((1/2)*$). I would prefer to work in one of these cities Chicago, New York, DC.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: WUSTL ($) v. W&L ($$) v. Vandy ((1/2)*$)

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:03 pm

phitchens wrote:I can't decide between WUSTL ($) v. W&L ($$) v. Vandy ((1/2)*$). I would prefer to work in one of these cities Chicago, New York, DC.
What does 1/2*$ mean? Half scholly?

Tell you what... better yet, give us the totals. But I'm leaning Vandy on this one.

phitchens

New

Post by phitchens » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:05 pm

one half of the scholarship amount given by WUSTL

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:07 pm

phitchens wrote:one half of the scholarship amount given by WUSTL
And how much was that? 90k vs. 45k is a hell of a lot different than 10k vs. 5k.

phitchens

New

Post by phitchens » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Scholarships:

Vandy 5000 USD

WUSTL 10000 USD

W&L 20000 USD

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phitchens

New

Post by phitchens » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:12 pm

scholarships are per year

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 pm

phitchens wrote:Scholarships:

Vandy 5000 USD

WUSTL 10000 USD

W&L 20000 USD
Vandy. Wash U is better for Chicago, but Vandy is excellent for DC and pretty good for NYC.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Are those city preferences in order?

There's not a big Illinois scholly hiding here is there?

If the answer to either of those questions is no, Vandy.

phitchens

New

Post by phitchens » Wed May 12, 2010 12:37 pm

I am currently leaning toward W&L because it is cheaper. However, I might want to pursue a career in IP law. Will attending W&L be a hindrance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Wed May 12, 2010 12:55 pm

phitchens wrote:I am currently leaning toward W&L because it is cheaper. However, I might want to pursue a career in IP law. Will attending W&L be a hindrance.
I went to the W&L Admitted Students Weekend. I'm in the same boat, since I am an engineer, and I am looking to go into IP. I'm currently deposited at W&L.

Because of the small class size, there aren't as many IP electives as you would find at larger schools. I don't think this would necessarily affect your employment prospects, though. The new W&L third year does have a practicum in IP.

Vandy is the most "national" school on your list. W&L does place decently in NYC and DC, as those were the top two cities for graduates in 2009. But not nearly as well as Vandy does there.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Wed May 12, 2010 1:12 pm

/
Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed May 12, 2010 1:19 pm

beesknees wrote: If giving you the best prospects for your target cities: Vandy.
If minimizing debt: W&L.
Yeah, this is basically what it boils down to. If I were you, I'd take Vandy for the better job prospects for sure though.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed May 12, 2010 2:47 pm

phitchens wrote:I am currently leaning toward W&L because it is cheaper. However, I might want to pursue a career in IP law. Will attending W&L be a hindrance.
It's good to consider debt, but Vandy is in a different league when it comes to placement compared to W&L, and even WUSTL. In fact, Vandy is starting to rival the bottom end of the T14 in placement. Pick Vandy and you'll thank me if you graduate around median.

(disclosure: I'm WUSTL hold list student waiting to get in, but wishes he had the option of Vandy)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Wed May 12, 2010 4:17 pm

phitchens wrote: However, I might want to pursue a career in IP law.
Oh yeah, could have guessed you might want to do IP with that ((1/2)*$) business!!
:P

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Thu May 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Disclaimer: I'm a Vandy Troll. That said, Vandy gives you the best shot at big law in those cities. NY, DC and IL are consistently some of the most popular destinations for Vandy grads. Here are last years numbers:
-36 grads stayed in TN (about 15%)
-22 went to NY (about 10%, all NYC)
-20 went to DC
-16 went to GA (all Atlanta)
-13 went to IL (all Chicago)
breakdown of IL so you can see specifically where they went (PM if you want specifics on the other cities):
-Chicago Legal Clinic-Chancery, Chicago Legal Clinic-Pilsen, dla piper, Kirkland & Ellis (3), Nathanson Law Firm, Neal Gerber & Eisenberg, Schiff Hardin, Sidley Austin (2), Troutman Sanders, Winston & Strawn.

No one destination attracts a majority of students; last year's Vandy grads took jobs in 40 states and 3 counties. Vandy's small size and broad geographic disbursement means you wouldn't be competing with many Vandy grads for jobs in any region. You didn't mention clerking, but Vandy will also give you the best shot at landing a clerkship. This year is shaping up to be one of Vandy's strongest years in article III clerkship placement. Right now Vandy has already placed about 11% of it's 2010 class into article III clerkships, which is better than a good part of the t14 (including clerkship powerhouse UVA).

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Thu May 13, 2010 2:32 pm

$5k is not much at all. Go to Vandy anyway.

crazyeddie

New

Post by crazyeddie » Thu May 13, 2010 2:42 pm

I voted W&L. $20k is nothing to scoff at, and if you work hard and get good grades you have access to DC, and to a lesser extent NYC.

WUSTL offers you no better prospects than W&L in NYC, worse prospects in DC, better prospects in Chicago. But the difference in money should make W&L the clear winner unless you have a preference for Chicago that I don't know about.

W&L > WUSTL bc of money $ and your interests.

Vandy is an interesting decision because it offers slightly better prospects than W&L in all three markets IMO. But you will be taking on significantly more debt. One other thing to consider is that Nashville is a back-up market and a totally awesome city. But ultimately you are taking on a lot more debt for marginally better chances at BigLaw (W&L top 20-25% of class, Vandy top 30-35% of class)

W&L > Vandy but barely

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Thu May 13, 2010 2:47 pm

W&L actually sent more to NYC than DC in 2009 - I was pleased to learn this at ASW.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Thu May 13, 2010 2:53 pm

crazyeddie wrote:I voted W&L. $20k is nothing to scoff at, and if you work hard and get good grades you have access to DC, and to a lesser extent NYC.

WUSTL offers you no better prospects than W&L in NYC, worse prospects in DC, better prospects in Chicago. But the difference in money should make W&L the clear winner unless you have a preference for Chicago that I don't know about.

Vandy is an interesting decision because it offers slightly better prospects than W&L in all three markets IMO. But you will be taking on significantly more debt. One other thing to consider is that Nashville is a back-up market and a totally awesome city. But ultimately you are taking on a lot more debt for marginally better chances at BigLaw (W&L top 20-25% of class, Vandy top 30-35% of class)

W&L > Vandy but barely
Why do you think this? Last year Vandy placed 47% into biglaw (and 10% into article III clerkship) while W&L placed 19%. (See http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1.) Vandy has placed better into big law and clerkships than Cornell, GULC, and every other non-t14 (a meaningless distinction) for the last couple of years.
I realize that this year will be worse, but Vandy is still shaping up to have 40 % into biglaw + 11% into article III clerkships. I don't have W&L's numbers, and W&L is an outstanding school, but I doubt the difference in marginal.

krj02004

Bronze

Post by krj02004 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
crazyeddie wrote:I voted W&L. $20k is nothing to scoff at, and if you work hard and get good grades you have access to DC, and to a lesser extent NYC.

W&L > Vandy but barely
Why do you think this? Last year Vandy placed 47% into biglaw (and 10% into article III clerkship) while W&L placed 19%. (See http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1.) Vandy has placed better into big law and clerkships than Cornell, GULC, and every other non-t14 (a meaningless distinction) for the last couple of years.
I realize that this year will be worse, but Vandy is still shaping up to have 40 % into biglaw + 11% into article III clerkships. I don't have W&L's numbers, and W&L is an outstanding school, but I doubt the difference in marginal.
+1

No brainer---Vandy. I've deposited there even though they gave me crappy money too... $10k. Glad I wasn't the only one, haha.

Vandy will give you significantly more employment options than the other schools. I think the median starting salary for Vandy grads is like $145k.... W&L has got to be closer to $100k. Better return on your investment for Vandy.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 13, 2010 6:29 pm

krj02004 wrote: Vandy will give you significantly more employment options than the other schools. I think the median starting salary for Vandy grads is like $145k.... W&L has got to be closer to $100k. Better return on your investment for Vandy.
Self-reported income stats from schools are generally a crock of shit, though I'd trust Vandy's more that W&L's though due to Vandy's reputation for openness. Still though, the general statement is true, Vandy >>> W&L.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu May 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
crazyeddie wrote:Vandy is an interesting decision because it offers slightly better prospects than W&L in all three markets IMO. But you will be taking on significantly more debt. One other thing to consider is that Nashville is a back-up market and a totally awesome city. But ultimately you are taking on a lot more debt for marginally better chances at BigLaw (W&L top 20-25% of class, Vandy top 30-35% of class)

W&L > Vandy but barely
+1 Rawlsian, glad you've already begun trolling for Vandy. And eddie, sorry, but I agree with Rawlsian, what you said is patently untrue.

I'd add that it's not really last year's NLJ250 stats, it's stats from a while ago, as most big firm hiring occurs during 2L OCI, and the numbers should have dropped a lot. However, I would also add that conventional wisdom around blogs such as ATL is that ITE, firms will hire more from top schools and less from bottom schools for the few remaining jobs, so although Vandy's and W&L's NLJ250s decreased, I bet the gap between the two became more more marked. Plus, Vandy is strong throughout the whole South, much more so that W&L. Vandy is far and away worth the extra debt.

krj02004

Bronze

Post by krj02004 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:35 am

rad law wrote:
krj02004 wrote: Vandy will give you significantly more employment options than the other schools. I think the median starting salary for Vandy grads is like $145k.... W&L has got to be closer to $100k. Better return on your investment for Vandy.
Self-reported income stats from schools are generally a crock of shit, though I'd trust Vandy's more that W&L's though due to Vandy's reputation for openness. Still though, the general statement is true, Vandy >>> W&L.

Oh, I realize that for sure. I wasn't quoting those figures reported directly by the schools....

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Fri May 14, 2010 12:42 am

quadsixm wrote:W&L actually sent more to NYC than DC in 2009 - I was pleased to learn this at ASW.
WHAAAA??? How can this be?? Is this like they sent 4 students to DC and 5 students to NYC and the rest are in rural Virginia suing on behalf of black-lunged miners?

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Fri May 14, 2010 1:00 am

Regionality wrote:
quadsixm wrote:W&L actually sent more to NYC than DC in 2009 - I was pleased to learn this at ASW.
WHAAAA??? How can this be?? Is this like they sent 4 students to DC and 5 students to NYC and the rest are in rural Virginia suing on behalf of black-lunged miners?
lol, not quite. Out of a class of 138, with 119 reporting, 15 (11%) went to NYC and 11 (8%) went to DC:
http://law.wlu.edu/deptimages/Career%20 ... %20WEB.pdf

Only 38 (28%) stayed in the state of VA.

P.S. Coal mining takes place in West Virginia, not Virginia. They're different states.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”