Penn w/ Wharton Certificate vs. UVA w/ Law & Business Prog.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PopCopyManager

Re: Penn w/ Wharton Certificate vs. UVA w/ Law & Business Prog.

Postby PopCopyManager » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:07 am

oneforship wrote:
PopCopyManager wrote:Can you apply during your first year at school? Obviously we will have already missed the application deadline as of ASW. I'm super interested, sorry to threadjack!

Yes, I believe the waiver of GMAT is only for those who are 1Ls at UVA, and then applying to the joint-program. Don't take my word as gospel, though.

Nice, Thanks man

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:08 am

The Wharton brand name is valuable, go for it.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:13 am

JOThompson wrote:The Wharton brand name is valuable, go for it.

Not as a certificate, it's not.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:19 am

I don't know much about this issue but cheesteaks are credited.

As a side note, if you look at biglaw lawyer profiles, the Wharton Certificate is often listed just below the J.D. granting school (Penn, in this case), where the Laude's are also listed. This COULD suggest that maybe they do use it for brand name recognition. Again, don't know if this matters and cheesteaks are delicious.

MBH124

Postby MBH124 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 am

Just decided on Penn and withdrew from UVA today.

Thanks to all for your input.

Postby 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:13 am

jnorsky wrote:First of all, UVA law has a shit ton of prestige outside of law, Penn may have the edge though due to the Ivy name and wharton. I love the lay prestige arguments, but every single person I know that work for I banks, or doctors, or engineers all think UVA and Penn are ridiculously good law schools. You are going to a top ten law school and anyone that will matter to your career will understand and respect that. I know people are going to disagree with this but I havent met one person that is successful, from prop traders on wall street to the guy that did surgery on my ankle when I broke it, that arent impressed by UVA or Penn law so dont make your choice based on that.

Second, having a certificate from Wharton doesn't do anything to your prospects, same with the law and business program at UVA. Do not chose the school you want to go to based on these two things. While studying at Wharton would be great for networking, learning from great business minds, etc, you are going to law school. You should choose the place that you feel most comfortable and feel you can succeed. That being said, in terms of corporate law, Penn places slightly better at the elite firms in NY and UVA places better at the litigation firms in DC. But both place well everywhere.

To say UVA law is overrated is a joke, people here are in there own world to think either one of these schools is overrated, they are peer schools, great schools and if I were you, I would not be taking advice on where to spend the next three years of my life and 200K of my money from kids on an internet forum that have no clue wtf they are talking about half the time.... including me.

Do what you feel dude.

Intelligent, well written, accurate post. 10 points.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”