U Minnesota VS U illinois

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Illinois costing 75k vs Minnesota 58k

Poll ended at Sun May 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Illinois
67%
Minnesota
33%

Total votes: 24

cr073137

U Minnesota VS U illinois

Postby cr073137 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:04 pm

I have three days to make a decision. I want to ultimately do PI work for an multilateral organization, so they dont care as much what school I go to. But before that, I would like to work big law for 2-3 years so I can save up some money and pay out any loans. I REALLY hate debt, and I'm international, so I cant borrow from the government. I had my heart set on Illinois, I visited, loved the school, the staff, and students, and the town.

I didnt have the chance to visit U Minnesota because they pretty much told me today that I was accepted. Illinois is costing me (3years) a total of 75k and Minnesota 58k. For big law, I would like to end up in SF, NYC, Or Chicago, with almost no preference in location, maybe a little more preference for SF. I wont have time to visit Minnesota before my decision comes due, which is what makes this so hard. I know that Illinois places well in Chicago, and does "ok" in Cali and NY. I dont know much about Minnesota's placement or the school's atmosphere or anything. Rankings matter, but not that much too me. The school environment matters a lot to me, I already turned down schools like Emory with $$ because I didnt "fit" well there. And while I think Minnesota probably has a similar environment as Illinois, I dont know if I should risk it and go there without visiting.

Please help me out, and explain why I should take one choice over another.

Also, this number is TOTAL COST for both schools, I have fairly large scholarships at both, so either way Ill walk out of law school without a lot of debt.
Last edited by cr073137 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

DerrickRose

Re: U Minnesota VS U illinois

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:07 pm

"Fit" is a tough thing to define. Care to elaborate?

I will tell you that these were my final two choices for undergrad, but when I visited Minnesota, the weather was so bad, you could barely get around campus. That was the end of that.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Neither schools places well in California or New York. I really don't see why you would take Minnesota considering 1. You liked Illinois 2. It's Cheaper 3. It places better in Chicago

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Too long didn't read.

U of I gives access to a bigger market and 75k is still pretty cheap for lawlskool.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:10 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Neither schools places well in California or New York. I really don't see why you would take Minnesota considering 1. You liked Illinois [strike]2. It's Cheaper[/strike] 3. It places better in Chicago

Good reading comp. Jackass.

Forget I was here.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 pm

DerrickRose wrote:"Fit" is a tough thing to define. Care to elaborate?

I will tell you that these were my final two choices for undergrad, but when I visited Minnesota, the weather was so bad, you could barely get around campus. That was the end of that.

By "fit" I mean that I'm more of a laid back person, and schools like Emory were full of JAPs that only talked about their IVY schools and look like straight out of a Jcrew catalog. While im not judging that lifestyle, that's just not for me. The students at Illinois were people that I feel I would easily be friends with, cant say the same from other schools I visited.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:51 pm

cr073137 wrote:

By "fit" I mean that I'm more of a laid back person, and schools like Emory were full of JAPs that only talked about their IVY schools and look like straight out of a Jcrew catalog. While im not judging that lifestyle, that's just not for me. The students at Illinois were people that I feel I would easily be friends with, cant say the same from other schools I visited.

Any Big Ten school (not named Northwestern) is going to have a pretty chill atmosphere, but I've gotta say I've been shocked by how non-competitive and collaborative the students at Illinois Law have been.

For me it's almost humility to the point of awkwardness, but it sounds like you might like that.

There's only one 1L here who looks like a J. Crew catalog. You'll know what I'm talking about if you come here.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:02 pm

cr073137 wrote:

All the 1Ls I've ever met from Illinois were pretty laid back. The only one I met from Minnesota was pretty laid back too. That's certainly not to say that all at either school will be. Every class gets a gunnerific student now and then. In all honesty, I think this is more preference than anything else. They're both really good Midwest schools (I myself was torn between a couple "laid-back" Midwest schools when I had to decide last year). MN has traditionally been slightly more competitive/higher ranked... but I think that's pretty much negligible, especially today.

What are the deposits at both of them? If you are truly and utterly torn, it might be worth your while to spend the extra money ($500 perhaps?) to stay on the list for both until you can visit and then drop the other. It sounds like a lot, but in the end I think that's a really small price to pay to have more control on your future and have a better sense of the choice you're making. You may find that you love Minnesota. Or you could find that you hate it as well. In either case, I think you'll feel like you're not walking into the dark on it.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:04 pm

cr073137 wrote:I have three days to make a decision. I want to ultimately do PI work for an multilateral organization, so they dont care as much what school I go to. But before that, I would like to work big law for 2-3 years so I can save up some money and pay out any loans. I REALLY hate debt, and I'm international, so I cant borrow from the government. I had my heart set on Illinois, I visited, loved the school, the staff, and students, and the town.

I didnt have the chance to visit U Minnesota because they pretty much told me today that I was accepted. Illinois is costing me (3years) a total of 75k and Minnesota 58k. For big law, I would like to end up in SF, NYC, Or Chicago, with almost no preference in location, maybe a little more preference for SF. I wont have time to visit Minnesota before my decision comes due, which is what makes this so hard. I know that Illinois places well in Chicago, and does "ok" in Cali and NY. I dont know much about Minnesota's placement or the school's atmosphere or anything. Rankings matter, but not that much too me. The school environment matters a lot to me, I already turned down schools like Emory with $$ because I didnt "fit" well there. And while I think Minnesota probably has a similar environment as Illinois, I dont know if I should risk it and go there without visiting.

neither minn nor illinois do "ok" in cali or ny. if you go to either of these 2 schools you'd be (or at least should be) banking on getting a good paying job in chicago since of the major markets you listed it's the most proximate to these two schools. if you're using chances of getting chicago employment as your primary criteria for choosing where to go, then the obvious choice is illinois. it would only cost you 17% more (135 compared to 118k) to go to chicago while 33% more illinois students get biglaw or federal clerkship than minn students. also only 10% of minn students at the most seem to end up in chicago. while for illinois it's the automatic place to end up.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:08 pm

najumobi wrote:
cr073137 wrote:I have three days to make a decision. I want to ultimately do PI work for an multilateral organization, so they dont care as much what school I go to. But before that, I would like to work big law for 2-3 years so I can save up some money and pay out any loans. I REALLY hate debt, and I'm international, so I cant borrow from the government. I had my heart set on Illinois, I visited, loved the school, the staff, and students, and the town.

neither minn nor illinois do "ok" in cali or ny. if you go to either of these 2 schools you'd be (or at least should be) banking on getting a good paying job in chicago since of the major markets you listed it's the most proximate to these two schools. if you're using chances of getting chicago employment as your primary criteria for choosing where to go, then the obvious choice is illinois. it would only cost you 17% more (135 compared to 118k) to go to chicago while 33% more illinois students get biglaw or federal clerkship than minn students. also only 10% of minn students at the most seem to end up in chicago. while for illinois it's the automatic place to end up.

^ This too... just read through really quick and didn't see you wanted to possibly end up in California. Most of the Midwestern schools tend to move East before they move West. If you're sold on CA (sounds like you're uncertain), the easiest route is either (1) a school in CA or (2) YHSCCN. That's not to say it can't be done. But ya... you get the idea.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:22 am

cr073137 wrote:

lol!

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:10 am

baboon309 wrote:
cr073137 wrote:

lol!

C'mon give me more than LOL

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:58 pm

cr073137 wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
cr073137 wrote:

lol!

C'mon give me more than LOL

bump. still need help

iamtaw

Postby iamtaw » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:11 pm

I voted for illinois. i'm also an international student and would have gone to illinois had i not gotten into gtown. if you want to work in biglaw, illinois has a pretty decent alumni network in chicago. umn rules the twin cities but the problem is that its a relatively small market. though you'll face competition from uchicago, NW and to a certain extent michigan and minnesota, i still think that chances are that you'll fare better. i emailed dean pless about the employment statistics for international students and he said they were no different from the regular stats. if you have any questions you should really email him, he's really open and pleasant to talk to and could be a huge help in making your decision.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:18 pm

If you want to work in biglaw, Illinois will better position you for that in the Chicago market. For those of us interested in PI, I would give Minnesota the edge for its clinical programs. It's unfortunate that you can't visit UMN because that might make the decision simpler. Minneapolis is a wonderful city and the Minnesota students were very collegial. If I wasn't so debt averse, I would've happily chosen UMN over Illinois and Iowa.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:16 pm

I think you should come to Illinois. But I have no reason to say so, other that I am attending and think it would be cool if you join me.

Anyways, I hope to see you during orientation.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:06 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:I think you should come to Illinois. But I have no reason to say so, other that I am attending and think it would be cool if you join me.

Anyways, I hope to see you during orientation.

Thanks man, well, thats a + for why to attend Illinois, I already know a lot of nice people that will be there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”