Is OSU worth 90k in loans?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pressenda

Is OSU worth 90k in loans?

Postby Pressenda » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Hello, I'm new to this site and would really appreciate everyone's thoughts/opinions. OSU is the highest ranked school I got into (barring some miracle that I'll get off Emory's waitlist). They didn't give me much scholarship money but I'll at least be able to get in-state tuition after the 1st year. My other option is going to a T2 school without having to take out nearly as much money in loans. I've been hearing that a school's ranking is extremely important, but is OSU's ranking of #34 significantly greater than a T2 that's ranked around 50ish?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

JCUGuy0428

Re: Is OSU worth 90k in loans?

Postby JCUGuy0428 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Depends what you wanna do, where you want to work. It's hard to answer the question without specifics (i.e. difference in debt taken on, location, relation to what you wanna do).

It's perfectly reasonable to take more money at a school ranked about 16 lower than OSU...as long as that fits the career prospects you want.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:32 pm

If you want to practice in Ohio/Indiana, OSU is a great deal at almost any price. If not, the answer is clearly no. Consider where you want to practice first, then what type of law you think you're likely to practice, and do not assume you'll get a BigLaw or MidLaw offer. Also, consider the strings attached to scholarships.

What's the other school?

Pressenda

Postby Pressenda » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:49 pm

The other school I'm considering is Case Western. I've found some threads debating between the two schools but ultimately my question is if OSU is worth taking out about 45k more than Case? I would have to take out 45k total for all 3 years if I go to Case but 90k for all 3 years at OSU. Is OSU really that much better than Case that it's worth the extra debt in this economy and especially both being such regional schools? I'm fine with the idea of working in OH or around the midwest after graduation, but I would like to eventually move to the west coast after some work experience under my belt.
I'm not completely sure what type of law I want to practice yet, but I've heard that Case has a strong international law program while OSU has a reputable ADR program. I would like to eventually be in-house counsel at a corporation or hospital.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:36 pm

I had this same choice and I'm sure you've seen my posts on the comparison. I chose Case, but everyone's reasons are different. Generally, my priorities were no debt and mobility after graduation. If you compare lawyers on Martindale, OSU is not bad in terms of mobility but it's obviously very Ohio-centric. I suspect if you go to OSU really WANTING to practice elsewhere and do well, you will probably not have a problem. OSU also has the advantage of absolutely owning the Columbus local market. That said, more Case graduates are spread out across the US to begin with, and the Cleveland market, despite the downturn for the city, is still bigger.

In terms of professional reputation, I think they're both strong schools. Case is ranked lower, but consider the results, not the input. Case gets a 3.3 for professional rep, the highest among T2 schools. OSU is more selective and produces more judges/clerks, that's true, and if you're in-state and have a good scholarship, it's quite affordable. Case seems to be blowing the bank on scholarships this year, and you're in the same boat as me: Case was much cheaper despite a good scholarship from OSU.

A word of caution on international law: It's sexy, but the job opportunities are few. ADR is more marketable, I imagine. That said, if you're really interested in public international law, then I'd put that in Case's column. Health law is obviously a Case specialty. Mostly, specialties aren't a big deal. Don't make your mind up based on those, just take advantage of them after you make a good decision based on $$, location, and future prospects.

I'd say Case, but I'm obviously biased at this point. :wink:

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:43 am

Pressenda wrote: would like to eventually be in-house counsel at a corporation or hospital.

It's hard to beat Cleveland when it comes to hospitals. You'll have plenty of internship opportunities.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”