Yet another Illinois vs. WUSTL poll

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WUSTL with $117K or Illinois with $105K

WUSTL ($117K)
68%
Illinois ($105K)
32%

Total votes: 47

jman77

Re: Yet another Illinois vs. WUSTL poll

Postby jman77 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:
romothesavior wrote:No, it is not.

If you want to live close to WashU you are in a relatively pricey area. If you don't, you're going to incur additional transportation costs. The little things, groceries, drinks, going out to the movies, etc are all going to cost that little bit more.

Housing everywhere in CU is cheap as dirt, the buses will take you everywhere for free, and pretty much everywhere else you go, you'll be like the guy in that Staples commercial. "WOW, THATS A LOW PRICE!"

Maybe "WAY less" is overstating it, but there is no doubt that Champaign is cheaper than University City.

The difference in rent is negligible. My roommate and I found a few places for about $400 per person per month, which is what I pay now at my undergrad (I go to school just up the road from you Derrick Rose... in the rectum of Illinois). These places are all in nice neighborhoods and are within walking distance of Wash U. Single BRs are obviously a bit more expensive, but I think you could keep it to about 600-700 if you keep a keen eye on craiglslist and padmapper.

Wow, a 1 BR for 600-700? That barely gets you a studio where I currently live.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:26 pm

jman77 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:

If you want to live close to WashU you are in a relatively pricey area. If you don't, you're going to incur additional transportation costs. The little things, groceries, drinks, going out to the movies, etc are all going to cost that little bit more.

Housing everywhere in CU is cheap as dirt, the buses will take you everywhere for free, and pretty much everywhere else you go, you'll be like the guy in that Staples commercial. "WOW, THATS A LOW PRICE!"

Maybe "WAY less" is overstating it, but there is no doubt that Champaign is cheaper than University City.

The difference in rent is negligible. My roommate and I found a few places for about $400 per person per month, which is what I pay now at my undergrad (I go to school just up the road from you Derrick Rose... in the rectum of Illinois). These places are all in nice neighborhoods and are within walking distance of Wash U. Single BRs are obviously a bit more expensive, but I think you could keep it to about 600-700 if you keep a keen eye on craiglslist and padmapper.

Perhaps I should have said studio. But yeah, if you want to live by yourself you can easily do it for $600-700.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:26 pm

jman77 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:

Yeah, I could get a 2 bedroom for less than that in C-U, but still the point is valid that STL is relatively cheap for a city.

solrac84

Postby solrac84 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:24 pm

Difference is negligible. Take the money.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:07 pm

Thanks again for the input, everyone. Unless something drastic happens overnight to change my mind, I will be withdrawing from Illinois tomorrow. It's a very tough decision... they seem to have great things happening there and Dean Pless is just one of the classiest people I've interacted with...

But I'm going to go with the school that gives me more flexibility post-law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”