Fordham (18k) or Brooklyn (full ride) plus other issues.. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you choose?

Fordham-18k
67%
Brooklyn-45k; Full Tuition
33%

Total votes: 63

im_blue

Gold

Re: Fordham (18k) or Brooklyn (full ride) plus other issues..

Post by im_blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:36 pm

If you take Brooklyn, what happens if you lose the scholarship (~60% chance here)? You'd be in the same dilemma with taking out loans, except at a much crappier school. Take Fordham.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:39 pm

im_blue wrote:If you take Brooklyn, what happens if you lose the scholarship (~60% chance here)? You'd be in the same dilemma with taking out loans, except at a much crappier school. Take Fordham.

yeah. thats a major concern as well. But Id only lose 20% of my scholarship provided I was in the top half of the class, even if I wasnt top 40%

it does seem risky tho, especially seeing how many x at sticker or brooklyn full ride threads ive been seeing on here lately. seems like theyre handing these things out like candy

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:39 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
goosey wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Ahhhhh goosey.... you and I go way back. I know how hard you've fought, clawed, and suffered to get to THIS VERY SPOT!! Have you fully discussed this situation with your family and cleric? Do they fully know what this means to you? I just want you to be happy. You've earned it.

yeah I have. My family says theyll support whatever decision I make, but I need to think about what kind of life I want for myself and if I want career to be my focus, then go to fordham; if I want to have children and have a career on the side, then go to bls.

problem is I want both :)
The top 40% stipulation is awful. GO TO FORDHAM. I really can't say it enough.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Always Credited wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
goosey wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Ahhhhh goosey.... you and I go way back. I know how hard you've fought, clawed, and suffered to get to THIS VERY SPOT!! Have you fully discussed this situation with your family and cleric? Do they fully know what this means to you? I just want you to be happy. You've earned it.

yeah I have. My family says theyll support whatever decision I make, but I need to think about what kind of life I want for myself and if I want career to be my focus, then go to fordham; if I want to have children and have a career on the side, then go to bls.

problem is I want both :)
The top 40% stipulation is awful. GO TO FORDHAM. I really can't say it enough.
I need to get to know more rich people

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Top 40% is really tough.

This seems like a discussion to have with family and religious leaders, and maybe there's some way to work it out. I know devout Muslims go to school with loans because there were a number of women wearing headscarves at my pricey UG. Is there some sort of Muslim lending program that will give you the money to pay tuition in cash?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:43 pm

I'm not one to argue religion, but I don't think Muhammad wrote the law intending to screw the faithful out of their dreams.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Honestly, if you are going to stick by your values (and frankly no one has the right to criticize your values on such an innocuous issue which doesn't impact anyone here but yourself) I don't see any option other than for you to take the money at Brooklyn. If you end up outside the top 40% and are still determined to stick to your values, you will have to drop out. That's the only real option you have based your conundrum.

HOWEVER, Fordham is where you want to be and where you can be if you take the risk. This is the better investment of your time, energy, and unfortunately, money. But deciding to go to Fordham would require you to reevaluate your values. This is a decision only you can make.

It seems like you know the only possible ways this decision can go down. You just need to take some time and think. Your family is clearly supportive, speak to them if you can.
Last edited by webbylu87 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:46 pm

goosey wrote:
im_blue wrote:If you take Brooklyn, what happens if you lose the scholarship (~60% chance here)? You'd be in the same dilemma with taking out loans, except at a much crappier school. Take Fordham.

yeah. thats a major concern as well. But Id only lose 20% of my scholarship provided I was in the top half of the class, even if I wasnt top 40%
That's a pretty narrow margin. While I have no doubt that you're probably smarter than the average Brooklyn Law student, you still have to assume you're going to end up at median. That gives you a 50/50 shot at losing your scholly. Statistically, that means the expected value of the Brooklyn Law scholarship is actually half tuition. (Someone correct me if this statistical analysis stinks)

Someone in here said they section as well, which makes things even worse.

Good luck making this decision, goosey. I wish you the best.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:48 pm

NayBoer wrote:Top 40% is really tough.

This seems like a discussion to have with family and religious leaders, and maybe there's some way to work it out. I know devout Muslims go to school with loans because there were a number of women wearing headscarves at my pricey UG. Is there some sort of Muslim lending program that will give you the money to pay tuition in cash?

yeah there are devout muslims that wind up taking loans--not saying it doesnt happen. I myself was prepared to do so because I thought I had no other choice. I really wasnt expecting merit aid from anywhere, so my focus was on going to fordham, doing well, and getting a good enough job to pay it back asap. then I got the bls scholarship and it changed things.

but yeah, i could easily lose that scholarship.

I really need to find a way to pay for fordham. Ive got some creative money making ideas to come up with

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:54 pm

webbylu87 wrote:Honestly, if you are going to stick by your values (and frankly no one has the right to criticize your values on such an innocuous issue which impacts doesn't impact anyone here but yourself) I don't see any option other than for you to take the money at Brooklyn. If you end up outside the top 40% and are still determined to stick to your values, you will have to drop out. That's the only real option you have based your conundrum.

HOWEVER, Fordham is where you want to be and where you can be if you take the risk. This is the better investment of your time, energy, and unfortunately, money. But deciding to go to Fordham would require you to reevaluate your values. This is a decision only you can make.

It seems like you know the only possible ways this decision can go down. You just need to take some time and think. Your family is clearly supportive, speak to them if you can.
I disagree with that first part. Going to Brooklyn with that mind set is awful and will put a ton of pressure on you to maintain the scholly. Hopefully you can achieve top 40% if you decided to go there, but you need to evaluate your values right now in case the worst happens. Postponing the inevitable is a bad idea. That's a year of your life wasted if you fail. Also, after 1L, if you miss top 40% and decide to stay in law school, won't you always regret turning down Fordham because of a set of values that you disregarded a year later? I'm not telling you what is right or wrong in this situation, but figure it out now rather than later. I agree that this is a decision only you can make with the help of family and friends. I hate to say it, but I really think this is a Fordham vs. no law school thread.
Last edited by FuManChusco on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:00 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:Honestly, if you are going to stick by your values (and frankly no one has the right to criticize your values on such an innocuous issue which impacts doesn't impact anyone here but yourself) I don't see any option other than for you to take the money at Brooklyn. If you end up outside the top 40% and are still determined to stick to your values, you will have to drop out. That's the only real option you have based your conundrum.

I disagree. Going to Brooklyn with that mind set is awful and will put a ton of pressure on you to maintain the scholly. Hopefully you can achieve top 40% if you decided to go there, but you need to evaluate your values right now in case the worst happens. Postponing the inevitable is a bad idea. That's a year of your life wasted if you fail. Also, after 1L, if you miss top 40% and decide to stay in law school, won't you always regret turning down Fordham because of a set of values that you disregarded a year later? I'm not telling you what is right or wrong in this situation, but figure it out now rather than later. I hate to say it, but I really think this is a Fordham vs. no law school thread.
Oh, I totally agree with you. I should've added a qualifying statement that IF the OP was determined to go to LS and stick by her stated religious values this seems to be the only course she (I assume?) could take. I don't disagree that it's a bad idea. I personally think Fordham is the way OP should go and am kind of wondering why bother at all applying to a reach school if you know you won't take out interest-bearing loans to pay for it once you get in. I agree that this should be a Fordham or no LS debate.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:01 pm

So what does Allah do if you pay the vig?

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:02 pm

goosey wrote:

it does seem risky tho, especially seeing how many x at sticker or brooklyn full ride threads ive been seeing on here lately. seems like theyre handing these things out like candy
I doubt they are handing out full-rides like candy. I am going to wager that most of the people who got them are posters on this site. LSN says that .3% of the last entering class got full-rides.
-I'm not trying to persuade you, just thought I'd point that out. That being said, I would probably take Fordham, too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:05 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

I disagree. Going to Brooklyn with that mind set is awful and will put a ton of pressure on you to maintain the scholly. Hopefully you can achieve top 40% if you decided to go there, but you need to evaluate your values right now in case the worst happens. Postponing the inevitable is a bad idea. That's a year of your life wasted if you fail. Also, after 1L, if you miss top 40% and decide to stay in law school, won't you always regret turning down Fordham because of a set of values that you disregarded a year later? I'm not telling you what is right or wrong in this situation, but figure it out now rather than later. I hate to say it, but I really think this is a Fordham vs. no law school thread.
Oh, I totally agree with you. I should've added a qualifying statement that IF the OP was determined to go to LS and stick by her stated religious values this seems to be the only course she (I assume?) could take. I don't disagree that it's a bad idea. I personally think Fordham is the way OP should go and am kind of wondering why bother at all applying to a reach school if you know you won't take out interest-bearing loans to pay for it once you get in. I agree that this should be a Fordham or no LS debate.
Yeah, I just slightly edited my post. I think I kind of skimmed your post and thought you were advising him to take BLS and drop out if need be, which is clearly a terrible idea. Sorry I put words in your mouth. I just read that first part and was like, "OH NO, he didn't just say that," then ignored the rest in desperate hopes of convincing OP otherwise.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:06 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:

Yeah, I just slightly edited my post. I think I kind of skimmed your post and thought you were advising him to take BLS and drop out if need be, which is clearly a terrible idea. Sorry I put words in your mouth. I just read that first part and was like, "OH NO, he didn't just say that," then ignored the rest in desperate hopes of convincing OP otherwise.
No worries. :)

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 pm

My dear Goosey, I never go on here during class, but someone went off TLS to find me and tell me your news. Congratulations! I should probably point out that you got more aid than I have ever heard of being given to a PT student, with the exception of a Fordham employee who was eligible for tuition remission. In other words, you have an insanely good deal that your classmates will only be dreaming about. I know how much you wanted this, because I know how much I wanted it, and exactly what it meant to me. There is some value added that is very, very hard to quantify when you are doing something this personally meaningful. I will write more when class is over.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:50 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:My dear Goosey, I never go on here during class, but someone went off TLS to find me and tell me your news. Congratulations! I should probably point out that you got more aid than I have ever heard of being given to a PT student, with the exception of a Fordham employee who was eligible for tuition remission. In other words, you have an insanely good deal that your classmates will only be dreaming about. I know how much you wanted this, because I know how much I wanted it, and exactly what it meant to me. There is some value added that is very, very hard to quantify when you are doing something this personally meaningful. I will write more when class is over.
Brace yourself Goosey, I don't think she's taking no for an answer!! :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:03 pm

goosey wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Top 40% is really tough.

yeah there are devout muslims that wind up taking loans--not saying it doesnt happen. I myself was prepared to do so because I thought I had no other choice. I really wasnt expecting merit aid from anywhere, so my focus was on going to fordham, doing well, and getting a good enough job to pay it back asap. then I got the bls scholarship and it changed things.

but yeah, i could easily lose that scholarship.

I really need to find a way to pay for fordham. Ive got some creative money making ideas to come up with
Put it all on red and let it ride. :P

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:22 pm

goosey wrote:"are u for real?!"

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:My dear Goosey, I never go on here during class, but someone went off TLS to find me and tell me your news. Congratulations! I should probably point out that you got more aid than I have ever heard of being given to a PT student, with the exception of a Fordham employee who was eligible for tuition remission. In other words, you have an insanely good deal that your classmates will only be dreaming about. I know how much you wanted this, because I know how much I wanted it, and exactly what it meant to me. There is some value added that is very, very hard to quantify when you are doing something this personally meaningful. I will write more when class is over.
Brace yourself Goosey, I don't think she's taking no for an answer!! :lol:
I lol'd. I did what could reasonably be done for Goosey, because I think she'd make an amazing Fordham student, but of course I can't get anyone into Fordham. This victory belongs 100% to her. As victories go, it's a good one, and I hope she decides to come.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:42 pm

There are some pretty complex financial solutions available - I would go to Fordham. You said it's your dream. Why give up your dream? The difference between BLS and Fordham is significant. Go to Fordham. Don't take no for an answer, there is surely a way to finance it, and you aren't going to be crippled by debt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

timertimer61

Bronze

Post by timertimer61 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:52 pm

i would def. take fordham, especially since its your "Dream." make the right decision.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:59 pm

I applied for 98490238 entry level paralegal jobs in nyc hoping that if I get one, paying for fordham will be a non-issue.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:00 am

If you are absolutely dead-set on not breaking your religious values then I don't think the answer is quite simple, i.e. the "go for your dream" crowd. That mentality ignores the very real ramifications that are placed upon you by your faith.

What it comes down to is what will you have to do to afford Fordham? (And what are the consequences of doing it.)

1. Break your values? If you will not do this then the answer is Brooklyn.

2. Work obscene hours? Depending on the hours worked this really is your choice. Calculate how much you will have to work and how much time you will have available to study, not to mention being burned out. Would that burn be worth going to Fordham over BLS?

3. Sell a kidney? By this I mean how creative can you get with making money. Anything from asking relatives to selling human genetic material if you are okay with the latter. This then makes 2 a more likely option.

In the end I feel what matters is what you would have to do to go to Fordham. If you are okay with the consequences (breaking your faith if you take loans or having your grades suffer due to constant work, which then makes jobs harder), then I would say choose Fordham. If not, then BLS.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:14 am

bk187 wrote:If you are absolutely dead-set on not breaking your religious values then I don't think the answer is quite simple, i.e. the "go for your dream" crowd. That mentality ignores the very real ramifications that are placed upon you by your faith.

What it comes down to is what will you have to do to afford Fordham? (And what are the consequences of doing it.)

1. Break your values? If you will not do this then the answer is Brooklyn.

2. Work obscene hours? Depending on the hours worked this really is your choice. Calculate how much you will have to work and how much time you will have available to study, not to mention being burned out. Would that burn be worth going to Fordham over BLS?

3. Sell a kidney? By this I mean how creative can you get with making money. Anything from asking relatives to selling human genetic material if you are okay with the latter. This then makes 2 a more likely option.

In the end I feel what matters is what you would have to do to go to Fordham. If you are okay with the consequences (breaking your faith if you take loans or having your grades suffer due to constant work, which then makes jobs harder), then I would say choose Fordham. If not, then BLS.

excellent points.

When applying to law school, financing was always an issue in the back of my mind. I actually started a home-based baking business (like otis spunkmeyer cookies that you can mail to fam and friends) in order to help me finance my education. I did this all with fordham in mind--I would be part time in school, baking would take minimum effort (and is also a stress relief for me) and it could make me money, potentially a ton of money if it takes off. The site will be up and running within two weeks--I have no idea how well or poorly the business will do. If it takes off, thats great for me an dmy future at fordham. If it doesnt, Im going to be in trouble.

I calculated that I will need about 650 orders a year in order to pay for Fordham out of pocket for the first year. After that, I would likely lose my need-based aid (or atleast a portion of it) and would be required to pay significantly more, unless I did really well and was awarded merit aid at the beginning of my 2nd year.

so basically, when I say I worked hard to make fordham a reality, I am talking beyond retaking the lsat and nagging admissions. I am talking building a website, starting a business--everything.

I can hope for the best and just dive head first..I can hope I get 650 orders a year..or I can earn extra cash teaching for Kaplan...or making wedding cakes ($400 profit on one cake is a pretty sweet deal), but if all of that doesnt work out..then what.

brooklyn is like this: if i dont get top 40% then..

so my main issue is the amount of if's needed to make fordham okay for me, vs the one if at brooklyn

this is probably the hardest decision Ive ever had to make...or atleast in the top 5

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”