BC v. GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BC or GULC

BC
33%
GULC
67%

Total votes: 52

Informative

BC v. GULC

Postby Informative » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:49 pm

I got in off the waitlist at GULC. I was completely focused on attending BC in the fall, but this threw a little kink into my plans. I love Boston and BC, but GULC is T14. I want to work in Boston or NYC after graduation. I am not really a huge fan of DC, but could suck it up for three years if I had to. Law school is law school.

Assuming money stays relatively equal, which would you choose and why?

Stats: 166/3.8
Acceptances: GULC, BC, BU, GW, Fordham, UCLA, UConn
Denied: Cornell, Chicago

dakatz

Re: BC v. GULC

Postby dakatz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:54 pm

If you know you want to work in Boston, then most definitely go with BC. They have an AMAZING alumni network in that city. Boston is very insular. BC kids tend to come from Boston and stay in Boston (while BU kids tend to come from further away, thus many leave after graduation.) So if you want Boston, then you would be foolish to give up the benefits that the BC alumni network will get you. You shouldn't go to a T-14 just because it is a T-14. You should go because it is the best school for you. Like I said, if you most certainly want Boston, then you cannot go wrong with BC. But if you are anything less than dead-set on that city, I'd go with Georgetown.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:57 pm

tough choice if you are sure you want to stay in boston. I'd lean GULC to keep your options open.

when did you get off the waitlist and which one were you on?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:58 pm

If you have other ties to Boston, I would suggest you go to Georgetown, it should open up more doors for you, and you are more likely to get hired somewhere good with a lower class ranking.

If I were you and costs were roughly equal, I would go to Georgetown.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:20 pm

If you have ties to Boston, then take GULC, which will take you to NYC or DC as well. Otherwise, go to BC if you're dead set on working in Boston.

Informative

Postby Informative » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks. I am probably going to have to visit both schools to make a determination. Both schools seem to have similar statistics. I like that BC is smaller and love its placement in Boston (even counting the T14, it places second only to Harvard). It has that great collegiate feel.

GULC is larger, but has slightly more name cache, at least with the general public. I am curious if anyone has heard stories of what the student body is like. I am curious what the area is like and whether it is a friendly/fun place to study.

Stats: 166/3.8
Acceptances: GULC, BC, BU, GW, Fordham, UCLA, UConn
Denied: Cornell, Chicago

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:07 am

GULC- it's not even close. I know plenty of people going to Boston, and practically 1/2 the GULC class goes to NYC.

(I graduate from GULC this May)

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:41 am

Can you give me some of the pros/cons of GULC from a student's perspective? I am still on the fence.

Informative

Postby Informative » Mon May 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Any one else have thoughts? Still leaning towards BC but only because I want to stay and work in Boston or NYC after graduation. I don't have much interest in D.C., although I have heard it is a nice place to live (weather must be significantly better).

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon May 03, 2010 12:44 pm

For the record, OP, I posed your question to two Boston lawyers that I know. Neither went to BC or GULC. One went to a T-14, and the other went to a T2 school. Both are somewhat recent grads and involved in hiring to some extent. They both told me that, if you definitely want Boston, you should go with BC over GULC. They both were under the opinion that GULC isn't quite on the same level with the schools ranked above it. They said that, if we were talking T-10 schools, then the answer would be different. They mentioned how the BC alumni network is insanely good in Boston, especially amongst the old-timers and bigshots. Just remember that TLS is a very small self-selecting echo chamber, so you can reasonably predict what the typical response will be, not because it is the "right" answer, but because it is "right" for the typical TLS poster. Again, that isn't to say that any person's opinion is wrong, but that the consensus opinion of such a self-selecting sample may not be the best guide. Just my 2 cents, but that is what those two guys told me today when I posed this question to them. To add my personal opinion, I think that, if you are anything less than 100 percent set on Boston, I'd maximize my options and go to GULC

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Mon May 03, 2010 1:12 pm

If you went to college and/or are from Boston then go to GULC. The Boston legal realm is very snobby about outsiders. If you are familiar or from the area they know you have a commitment to Boston. If you are dead set on coming to Boston and are not from there and did not go to school there, go to BC.

Aristone

Postby Aristone » Mon May 03, 2010 4:40 pm

As someone who attended BC and absolutely loved it...all things being equal, you'd be CRAZY to pick against GULC. The difference between the T14 and even great regional schools (think BC, BU, GW, ND) is palpable even during a good economy. While DC is not your ideal city, GULC simply opens more doors to those lower in the class than BC.

Don't get me wrong, I loved BC, it's placement in Boston (tho, ultimately, I took a job elsewhere), the people, the collegial atmosphere and BC sports. However, had things been equal monetarily between BC and GULC for me...I'd be a Hoya alum right now.

splinter23x

Postby splinter23x » Mon May 03, 2010 5:17 pm

I think you'd want to go to Georgetown here. The GULC student above points out that many Gtown students go to Boston, so you can definitely do it, but also that most go to NY, which alleviates competition for you. Seems like the right play.

Informative

Postby Informative » Wed May 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks all. I'll update when I hear about $$ and see if that changes anything.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”