UIUC ($$$$) vs. WUSTL ($$$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UIUC($$$$) vs. WUSTL($$$)

UIUC ($120K/3yrs)
59%
WUSTL ($75K/3yrs)
41%

Total votes: 37

nice-and-cool

UIUC ($$$$) vs. WUSTL ($$$)

Postby nice-and-cool » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Hey,

I've got offered 120K from Illinois and 75K from WashU, and both are guaranteed for three years in law school. Both offers are fantastic, but i guess it's a little tough decision for me. I would prefer WUSTL since I put a little more importance on mobility and national placement, but a full ride from UIUC is just something you can't easily pass up. I've called WUSTL to see if they can bump up the financial aid, but they said they're currently out of the budget. I'm leading toward UIUC, but before making the final decision, I wanted to see what others would say about this. Thanks!

ps. I would appreciate it if you'd explain about your choice.

ps2.
Here's a little more detail about my personal situation.
- I'm an international student.
- I don't really care much about the geographic location of law school. (Chambana and St. Louis are both fine for me.)
- Upon graduation, I'd like to join a law firm that does international business with Asian companies.
Last edited by nice-and-cool on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FuManChusco

Re: UIUC ($$$$) vs. WUSTL ($$$)

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:48 pm

WUSTL won't offer much more in national placement. Follow the money. Where exactly do you want to work after LS?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:48 pm

nice-and-cool wrote:Hey,

I've got offered 120K from Illinois and 75K from WashU, and both are guaranteed for three years in law school. Both offers are fantastic, but i guess it's a little tough decision for me. I would prefer WUSTL since I put a little more importance on mobility and national placement, but a full ride from UIUC is just something you can't easily pass up. I've called WUSTL to see if they can bump up the financial aid, but they said they're currently out of the budget. I'm leading toward UIUC, but before making the final decision, I wanted to see what others would say about this. Thanks!

I am taking Wash U with 75k over a full ride at UIUC. Normally, this is a bad call, but I have two reasons for doing so:

1. I am from central Illinois and am sick of it. I want to be in a city, not Champaign.
2. St. Louis is my preferred market.

They are such similar schools that I think it makes more sense to take UIUC in your case.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:04 pm

I didn't know Romo was from the Champaign area (I am too).

In any case, unless you have SPECIFIC goals (i.e. west coast), I'd take the money. You're going to graduate with very little debt, and that will give you the most flexibility. Outside of *some* transferability to the West Coast, WUSTL and UIUC are peer schools. Romo has another reason that's valid, but I get the feeling that if it was important for you, you would have stated as such.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:08 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:I didn't know Romo was from the Champaign area (I am too).

In any case, unless you have SPECIFIC goals (i.e. west coast), I'd take the money. You're going to graduate with very little debt, and that will give you the most flexibility. Outside of *some* transferability to the West Coast, WUSTL and UIUC are peer schools. Romo has another reason that's valid, but I get the feeling that if it was important for you, you would have stated as such.

I actually might say the opposite. I think WUSTL's second strength after the midwest is the east coast. Their CSO mentioned that they are trying to strengthen their west coast ties, but it doesn't sound like they are particularly strong there yet.

And yes, I'm just up the road from Champaign. Great school, neat town... but not what I'm looking for.

nice-and-cool

Postby nice-and-cool » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:11 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:I didn't know Romo was from the Champaign area (I am too).

I don't have much information regarding my preferred market after law school, but based on what I currently know, I guess I should say east coast is where I might want to be.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Illinois has a broader reach than its stereotype. Its very self-select-y towards Chicago, but there are people that hire Illinois students in DC, California, Texas, and elsewhere.

Illinois and WUSTL are peer schools, you should take the money.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I actually might say the opposite. I think WUSTL's second strength after the midwest is the east coast. Their CSO mentioned that they are trying to strengthen their west coast ties, but it doesn't sound like they are particularly strong there yet.

And yes, I'm just up the road from Champaign. Great school, neat town... but not what I'm looking for.

I posted not knowing a whole lot about WUSTL, just knowing that the West was a specific vulnerability to UIllinois. I suppose (both being regional schools) that it would make sense that they're both deficient in that area. I know that there are at least a few NYC connections to both schools. But really, they're peer schools. If it's a personal preference (as you made clear in your initial post) then that's absolutely fine. As long as you're not from Rantoul.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:24 pm

nice-and-cool wrote:I don't have much information regarding my preferred market after law school, but based on what I currently know, I guess I should say east coast is where I might want to be.

*record scratches*

If East Coast (most specifically NYC) is your goal, I would be less enthused about Illinois.

Are there BU/BC/GW/Fordham options here?

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:36 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:I posted not knowing a whole lot about WUSTL, just knowing that the West was a specific vulnerability to UIllinois.

Not true. California is the #2 state for Illinois grads. New York on the other hand has a notable paucity of Illini

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:39 pm

Just checked the numbers. After Illinois, New York, California, and Texas were all 6% of the last class' employment.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:42 pm

I agree with Derrick. If you want East Coast, maybe take Wash U. They is pretty solid out east, but I'm not sure if that's worth the extra 30k.

If you want the west coast, take Illinois without hesitation.

I think Illinois is your best bet here.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:42 pm

And I'm not from Rantoul... but we played them in high school. They're in our conference.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:And I'm not from Rantoul... but we played them in high school. They're in our conference.

Couldn't be worse than my Tolono education.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:53 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:And I'm not from Rantoul... but we played them in high school. They're in our conference.

I went to the best HS south of I-80! :D

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

Bloomington's pretty nice, I hear.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:57 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

Bloomington's pretty nice, I hear.

Haha yeah, but it doesn't hold a candle to Normal. :D Where are you going to LS?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Haha yeah, but it doesn't hold a candle to Normal. :D Where are you going to LS?

Unless I get a miracle from Northwestern, it will be Illinois. I got a pretty good deal from them, then got them to match another school. So either way, I'll be pretty happy. I've been in New York for the past 8 months, and I HATE it. I miss flat.

solrac84

Postby solrac84 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Like I said in the last illinois v. wustl thread. The difference is negligible. Take the money.

nice-and-cool

Postby nice-and-cool » Sun May 02, 2010 1:29 am

solrac84 wrote:Like I said in the last illinois v. wustl thread. The difference is negligible. Take the money.

Yeah.. I withdrew from WUSTL, and paid the deposit on Illinois

Return to “Choosing a Law School”