Where should I attend? (ALL TTT, TTTT options)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Poll ended at Tue May 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Quinnipiac, 5k per year
59%
Ave Maria, 15k per year
23%
Charleston, 10k per year
18%

Total votes: 22

pink_law14

Postby pink_law14 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:24 pm

I would appreciate your insight. Please be nice. I am seriously considering each of these three schools. I am not interested in any sort of firm work, I want to work locally in public interest/govt area, have minimal debt and a nice quality of life while in school. I'm on several waitlists, but narrowing these options down since I want to attend a school with a merit scholarship.

Any advice?

JollyGreenGiant

Re: Where should I attend? (ALL TTT, TTTT options)

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:25 pm

*if retaking is not an option*

Wherever you wanna live after graduation

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Don't write in pink if you want ppl to read ur shit

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Where is "local" to you?

I've heard that Charleston actually places pretty well in South Carolina because of the lack of law schools in the state.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Agree with the Jolly Giant

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Please tell me those are the amounts you will be paying.

Darling, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, even if you aren't planning on doing "firm work." Those aren't going to cut it. Do yourself a favor, invest the money you would have on an apartment deposit on an LSAT course if law is really your dream.

South Carolina Law has a 56% employment rate at graduation. I guarantee Charleston is twice as bad. Do you know what that means? That means to get a job, any legal job AT ALL you would have to be in the top quarter of your class. Don't do that to yourself.

Retake, or reconsider law, sweetheart. :(

And whoever says Charleston places well = wrongo.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:31 pm

Pink, what was your LSAT, how many times did you take, and how hard did you study?

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:34 pm

I'm just relaying what I've read on other threads about Charleston...I imagine it's slightly true (only in that the school does place some grads in jobs around the Charleston area and many currently-employed lawyers in Charleston likely attended the school. Doesn't mean it's a sure bet, ITE, but what is?

pink_law14

Postby pink_law14 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Hi All, Thanks for some feedback.

I don't know how much of an option re-taking is. I scored 155 both times on the test, although my practice tests were in the high-150s, low 160s.

Local for me is East Coast, I have no restrictions.I will be graduating in May with a B.A. in Political Science, so I am your traditional law-student.

I've turned down acceptances and Scholarship offers at Pace, NY Law, Hofstra, and Widener.. simply because I did not want to be in the NYC area with such a high cost of living and poor quality of life... did I make a mistake?

SAE

Postby SAE » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:37 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Pink, what was your LSAT, how many times did you take, and how hard did you study?

And at what point do you start asking yourself "maybe this law school thing is not for me"?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:39 pm

pink_law14 wrote:Hi All, Thanks for some feedback.

I don't know how much of an option re-taking is. I scored 155 both times on the test, although my practice tests were in the high-150s, low 160s.

Local for me is East Coast, I have no restrictions.I will be graduating in May with a B.A. in Political Science, so I am your traditional law-student.

I've turned down acceptances and Scholarship offers at Pace, NY Law, Hofstra, and Widener.. simply because I did not want to be in the NYC area with such a high cost of living and poor quality of life... did I make a mistake?

Please stop writing in pink.

kthxbai

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

I know it would be painful OP, but I seriously suggest you use your reretake option. Even as little as 5 points could do wonders for you.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:45 pm

I like to write in color too!

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:46 pm

pink_law14 wrote:Hi All, Thanks for some feedback.

Any of them is better than AVA MARIAAAAAAAAAA

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:46 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:I like to write in color too!

Me too.

And I agree with DWaterman... take a year off and retake.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:50 pm

Based on snooping (because I am a creepy board-lurker who hates her job) it appears OP has a 3.2, which means, even if she retakes and raises to the 160-range, she will likely be stuck with options that TLSers will again tell her have doomed her. True Poll should have been:

1 Quinnipiac
2 Ave Maria
3 Charleston
4 Ignore everyone's advice and stubbornly do what I want
5 Stop asking people at TOP Law Schools about BOTTOM law schools

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:51 pm

pink_law14 wrote:

Depending on how much they were offering, you may have made a mistake, at least in regards to Hofstra.

Of the schools you are considering, Quinnapiac is maybe the most highly regarded?

In general, however, the prevailing wisdom is against going to TTT or TTTT without a SUBSTANTIAL scholarship (especially if it's a school that doesn't dominate its region).
Of course that's your decision....just realize that spending 100K on tuition alone to go to one of these schools is not a very wise investment.
But if you don't mind the debt, and you want the education do it.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:00 pm

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:04 pm

That picture doesn't do the scary-nature of this economy justice. I think you'll need something more like this:

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:04 pm

There are 43,000 students graduating law school for 30,000 legal jobs, something to think about.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:05 pm

acdisagod wrote:There are 43,000 students graduating law school for 30,000 legal jobs, something to think about.

For the optimists, however, that reads: "3 out of 4 get a job! I can beat 3 people!"

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:08 pm

pugalicious wrote:
acdisagod wrote:There are 43,000 students graduating law school for 30,000 legal jobs, something to think about.

For the optimists, however, that reads: "3 out of 4 get a job! I can beat 3 people!"

hmmm pretty sure I could beat out those losers Romothesavior and Jessicatiger. Don't know about anyone else who posted here though. I think I'll just miss the cut. :(

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:09 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
pugalicious wrote:

hmmm pretty sure I could beat out those losers Romothesavior and Jessicatiger. Don't know about anyone else who posted here though. I think I'll just miss the cut. :(

I won't lose out to any PTTT people from GeorgeTTTown.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:11 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
pugalicious wrote:

You could beat me out from the name on your diploma anywhere except Louisiana. Take that civil law, biotch!

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:13 pm

pink_law14 wrote:

Did you research any of these schools that you turned down? Neither Pace nor Hofstra are in NYC. While they are in the metropolitan area, they are both in the suburbs (at least 30 min outside of the city) and the cost of living is dramatically lower than NYC. And I can't imagine the QoL on Long Island or in Westchester being worse than that of Hamden. With Hofstra's jump in the rankings (and arguably before their jump), and scholarship offer I'd say that you made a mistake. Hofstra should have at least been one of your top picks, if these schools were your only choices.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”