IP but not tech?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bedefan

IP but not tech?

Postby bedefan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:50 pm

Hey all, question.

I'm probably going into PI work but have also been thinking of ways to combine my interest in the arts with my interest in working for the public good... And have hit upon the idea of doing PI work in IP (keep track of those p's and i's). The thing is, I just have no knowledge of the hot areas in IP (biotech, e.g.) and no training in science. I took "Physics for Poets" in undergrad.

So the question: which of the big IP schools should I shoot for if I want to combine PI and IP, AND I want to do it in the arts/literature/entertainment world rather than the technology world? My ugpa and lsat and ug institution are good enough to place me anywhere, potentially at least, provided my statement is good and the wind blows my way of course.

Thanks.
Last edited by bedefan on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holydonkey

Re: IP but not tech?

Postby holydonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:54 pm

bedefan wrote:My ugpa and lsat and ug institution are good enough to place me anywhere.
Yale

sdv

Postby sdv » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:05 pm

i have similar interests - coming from a theatre background, with no training or interest in science or technology. In general, I'd say the best thing to do is to target schools with good Entertainment Law programs, since it's basically impossible to go directing into entertainment law out of LS and you need to spend a few years in either corporate or IP first. The best places to be for that would be Columbia, nyu, UCLA, USC, and Vandy, as ny, la, and nashville are basically the only cities where entertainment law is practiced.

The other thing I'd say, though, is that although your (and my) interests lie primarily in the creation and protection of art, not technology, we can appreciate the time, difficulty, and pride associated with creating something that never existed before in the world, and should be able to get behind a person's right to protect it. Thinking about it from that end should at least help pique your interest in working technology and science related cases, because, frankly, there's no way any firm could be sustainable by working only arts related cases!

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:27 pm

sdv wrote:The best places to be for that would be Columbia, nyu, UCLA, USC, and Vandy, as ny, la, and nashville are basically the only cities where entertainment law is practiced.

Pretty much what I had thought -- but I forgot Nashville! Thanks for your two cents.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:55 pm

bedefan wrote:So the question: which of the big IP schools should I shoot for if I want to combine PI and IP, AND I want to do it in the arts/literature/entertainment world rather than the technology world? My ugpa and lsat and ug institution are good enough to place me anywhere (provided my statement is good and the wind blows my way of course).

It's already been mentioned, but Columbia is exceptionally strong in this area. (And Yale, despite being an amazing law school, is probably the weakest IP school in the T10.) If your numbers really are good enough to get into Yale/Harvard, then you probably can get a Hamilton or Butler from CLS. I'd shoot for that.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:45 am

I would go back in time and get an Electrical Engineering degree. If you manage to build the time machine with which to do so, getting the degree should be easy.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”