Richmond vs Drexel *updated with WTF*

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dibs

Richmond vs Drexel *updated with WTF*

Postby dibs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:11 am

update: i got an email from Drexel not one day after i posted this thread indicating they increased my scholarship by $10,000/year and made SPECIFIC comments about minimum GPA requirements and how they're not excessive. wtf? does this change your opinions at all? ultimately a $60,000 difference.
___

i'm having to piecemeal my decisions as they come in.. slowly. it's like playing king's court. richmond is the reigning champion. new opponent - drexel.

this is a fairly easy decision for me, really, but i want your unbiased opinions none the less.

$15,000/year with a 2.67 GPA recurring condition at Drexel on $33,000 tuition.
$5,000/year recurring, no condition, at Richmond on $34,000 tuition.
Last edited by dibs on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mailmanstalker

Re: Richmond vs Drexel

Postby mailmanstalker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:15 am

I could be wrong but I think all of Richmonds schollys require you stay in good standing. Either way I would say Richmond

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:18 am

RICHMOND

dibs

Postby dibs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:20 am

mailmanstalker wrote:I could be wrong but I think all of Richmonds schollys require you stay in good standing. Either way I would say Richmond

yeah, you're right. good standing. i just don't consider that a condition. you should be in good standing anyway if you're serious about law school.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:21 am

Richmond.

Because Drexel is new

mailmanstalker

Postby mailmanstalker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:29 am

dibs wrote:
mailmanstalker wrote:I could be wrong but I think all of Richmonds schollys require you stay in good standing. Either way I would say Richmond

yeah, you're right. good standing. i just don't consider that a condition. you should be in good standing anyway if you're serious about law school.

I only metioned because a 2.6 was considered a condition earlier....
But def Richmond no question

dibs

Postby dibs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:36 am

mailmanstalker wrote:
dibs wrote:

good standing at richmond is either 2.0 or 2.2. so either a C or C+ average, if i'm doing my conversions right. that should be easily maintainable, even on a curve. 2.67 is a B-, or just under, i think. that becomes an issue on a B curve with lots of other students who have been given condition based schollys.

oh for the record my choice is richmond. easy pz. i wouldn't have even put it up for debate if they hadn't been so stingy on my scholly. even $5,000 more would make things so much easier. gah.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:50 am

Richmond for sure.

I'm on a scholarship here and to maintain it I more or less have to not fail out.

mailmanstalker

Postby mailmanstalker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:39 pm

dibs wrote:
mailmanstalker wrote:
dibs wrote:

good standing at richmond is either 2.0 or 2.2. so either a C or C+ average, if i'm doing my conversions right. that should be easily maintainable, even on a curve. 2.67 is a B-, or just under, i think. that becomes an issue on a B curve with lots of other students who have been given condition based schollys.

oh for the record my choice is richmond. easy pz. i wouldn't have even put it up for debate if they hadn't been so stingy on my scholly. even $5,000 more would make things so much easier. gah.

Have you through about writting UR a letter maybe asking for more? Worth a shot perhaps?

dibs

Postby dibs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Have you through about writting UR a letter maybe asking for more? Worth a shot perhaps?

absolutely i've thought about it. i'm not sure what to write, though. that has stayed my hand. any suggestions?

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm from VA & am pretty familiar with Richmond. The campus is beautiful, the city is very livable, and the legal market tends to be protective of UR grads. I'm not sure you can say the same thing about Drexel and Philly.

dibs

Re: Richmond vs Drexel *updated with WTF*

Postby dibs » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:57 pm

bump.

mailmanstalker

Postby mailmanstalker » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:13 pm

dibs wrote:bump.

pm

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Drexel is brand new, not completely ABA accredited, and has no alumni. Avoid it at all costs.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:29 pm

blhoward2 wrote:Drexel is brand new, not completely ABA accredited, and has no alumni. Avoid it at all costs.

Thats what im sayin. Although im currently on the waitlist at Richmond and desparately want to get off, you gotta go with Richmond. It is WELL established in it's little niche, and has decades and decades of alumni...

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:34 pm

I agree with the above

If you are in the top of your class at Richmond you can compete for BigLaw jobs in Richmond as well as gov't work and clerkships. Richmond is the capitol which provides additional networking opportunity and clerkships.

I cant say the same with any certainty for Drex

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:44 pm

blhoward2 wrote:Drexel is brand new, not completely ABA accredited, and has no alumni. Avoid it at all costs.

thisthisthisthis

AlasLavinia

Postby AlasLavinia » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:51 pm

apper123 wrote:

thisthisthisthis

Not to mention the school itself (as in the physical SCHOOL). I was admitted and visited there, and that was the turning point for me. It is right by the 30/train station interchange in the middle of a depressing neighborhood. There is no school-provided parking for students, so you are left parking in public lots or garages that charge an arm and a leg. The building is new, but it is filthy and obviously cheaply constructed. The students I met were arrogant and extremely politically conservative.

It wasn't for me.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:52 pm

Sitting just by the UR campus right now! Beautiful, suburban, nice people everywhere! Nice day! Beautiful gardens and trees and buildings.

dibs

Postby dibs » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:00 pm

yeah, this is a funny little comparison i've noted. drexel has been voted the ugliest campus in america and is right near the 'ghetto'. richmond has been voted the prettiest campus in america is a nice little community.

can't wait for may 21st DSD at richmond so i can see it for myself. wondering if i should even bother going to philly to see drexel. i guess it depends. another thing i forgot to mention about drexel is that my company just opened up a new office in pittsburgh to manage their insane development in the shale deposits. i might be able to swing some kind of corporate sponsorship and/or job placement if i'm at drexel.

AlasLavinia

Postby AlasLavinia » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:26 pm

Yeah, I am a Colorado girl at heart. I chose a campus full of trees and greenspace, where the student body and faculty have more progressive views.

It's really a shame about the Drexel campus. Philadelphia is such an interesting town, and parts of it are beautiful and quirky. Drexel just seems like a re-fab industrial complex between a highway and a ghetto. The law school building looks like something discarded from a 2nd-year architecture student's seminar portfolio.

AlasLavinia

Postby AlasLavinia » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Oh, but you should go for the Drexel ASD if you are close by, because they give out TONS of schwag and have excellent food and booze. I still rock my Drexel Law umbrella and galoshes. LOL.

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 pm

dibs wrote:yeah, this is a funny little comparison i've noted. drexel has been voted the ugliest campus in america and is right near the 'ghetto'. richmond has been voted the prettiest campus in america is a nice little community.

can't wait for may 21st DSD at richmond so i can see it for myself. wondering if i should even bother going to philly to see drexel. i guess it depends. another thing i forgot to mention about drexel is that my company just opened up a new office in pittsburgh to manage their insane development in the shale deposits. i might be able to swing some kind of corporate sponsorship and/or job placement if i'm at drexel.

You are aware that Pittsburgh is about a 5 hour drive from Philly, right? That's pretty much the same as driving from Philly to Boston.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”